Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
He had some issues this yr with some drops (especially early in the season) but otherwise he has not dropped many passes.

As far as running the routes short of the FD, he isn't the only one guilty of that. Jason Witten does that probably at least half the time on 3rd downs. I don't think the players decide what distances to run routes, the coaches do that and the players do what they are told.

I still don't know how you or anyone else can claim he hasn't been productive. How many fucking balls do you expect the 3rd or 4th option in a passing game to get? Especially the last 2+ seasons, where the offense has clearly gotten more balanced between run and pass.

That's usually because he's one of the checkdown options.

Reaction score
I think Wentz looks like he just needs seasoning... Like most rookie QBs. He throws a fastball every time and he often overthrows guys. I went watched his "tape" from the Iowa St win in 2014 and he was jumpy at first. Could tell the atmosphere was big for him playing a FBS team. But he settled down and got the win.

Yeah Iowa st isn't Alabama. But I don't see someone who can't improve with that aspect. He can make all the throws just needs to learn when to go big and when to check it down. IMO if you think he can make the throws and has it between the ears to learn the finer parts of being an NFL QB then that's enough.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That's usually because he's one of the checkdown options.

I wouldn't agree with that. Many times Witten is clearly the primary target. They've run the entire passing game through him since he got here basically (and for good reason most of his career, he was awesome)

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I wouldn't agree with that. Many times Witten is clearly the primary target. They've run the entire passing game through him since he got here basically (and for good reason most of his career, he was awesome)

But there's been a lot of times where he's been asked to provide the QB protection. One of those roles is to be the checkdown option.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, it's not a tools or arm strength thing for me, he passes the eyeball test. I just do not think he's a an elite prospect. I like Wentz, as a late 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder. My fear, which appears to be coming true, is that Jason will latch onto him at the Senior Bowl practices and that this lazy Front Office will shut it down and just go with him at #4. Waste of a valuable resource to me, maybe "waste" is not accurate..I'll say not maximizing a valuable resource.

Maybe you should wait till after the Senior Bowl and the rest of the scouting process before making those kinds of claims.

As I posted earlier, people that are pretty credible seem to be of the opinion now that he clearly is worthy of being and early pick. People that you've said in the past you like as well (Brugler & Jeremiah to name two)

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Maybe you should wait till after the Senior Bowl and the rest of the scouting process before making those kinds of claims.

As I posted earlier, people that are pretty credible seem to be of the opinion now that he clearly is worthy of being and early pick. People that you've said in the past you like as well (Brugler & Jeremiah to name two)

I do like Brugler, Jeremeiah gets on my nerves, but it doesn't mean I blindly sign off on everything he says. I realize that concept is foreign to you. I'm sure there were a handful of draft people who said Jamarcus Russell was a sure fire pick.

I'm just of the mindset that Wentz is being overrated some and unfortunately some people (fans and journalists) associated with the Cowboys. I'll check out the practices, read anything I can find, and listen to the draft show to see what I'm missing.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I think Wentz at this point is being a bit overrated by the fans and sports writers. I will include myself in that bunch. I personally just look at his "film" and see a guy who has the size, arm strength, and athletic ability to be successful. Now I agree that those things alone do not make a guy successful in the NFL. And I have always been leery of the QB that sky rockets up the draft board just before the draft. So even though I like what I've seen from Wentz ultimately I'm waiting to see how he performs in the Senior Bowl. If he fails miserably the guy D like to see the Cowboys go with at #4 is Myles Jack or Treadwell. I'd be happy with either. Then go get Hackenberg in the 2nd.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I do like Brugler, Jeremeiah gets on my nerves, but it doesn't mean I blindly sign off on everything he says. I realize that concept is foreign to you. I'm sure there were a handful of draft people who said Jamarcus Russell was a sure fire pick.

I'm just of the mindset that Wentz is being overrated some and unfortunately some people (fans and journalists) associated with the Cowboys. I'll check out the practices, read anything I can find, and listen to the draft show to see what I'm missing.
Same here. I'm not saying he can't be that guy, just that it's a little too early to crown him. Let's just see him at the Senior Bowl and combine first.

I do have kind of a hard time seeing a FCS QB being that great for some reason. Parcells wasn't perfect, but those guidelines he had seem pretty sound to me, and one of them was that the guy should be from a big school.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Same here. I'm not saying he can't be that guy, just that it's a little too early to crown him. Let's just see him at the Senior Bowl and combine first.

I do have kind of a hard time seeing a FCS QB being that great for some reason. Parcells wasn't perfect, but those guidelines he had seem pretty sound to me, and one of them was that the guy should be from a big school.

Parcells' theory was good but remember he's also the one that drafted Bobby Carpenter. Also he approved of Romo and he wasn't from a big school.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Parcells' theory was good but remember he's also the one that drafted Bobby Carpenter. Also he approved of Romo and he wasn't from a big school.

Bobbie Carpenter was picked exactly where just about every draft expert and GM expected him to be. He just turned out to be a non player. AJ Hawk was supposed to be all world and he was not. As it turned out they played next to each other and the results fooled everyone.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Carpenter was picked a bit higher than where he was projected. The main reason Parcells picked him is because his dad played for Parcells with the Giants and Parcells thought he would play with the same intensity as his dad did.

Iamtdg

Reaction score

I hear what you're saying, but I think that he just needs fine-tuning. Which fits our situation perfectly since Romo has a couple of years left to tutor him.

Reaction score
Yep, it's not a tools or arm strength thing for me, he passes the eyeball test. I just do not think he's a an elite prospect. I like Wentz, as a late 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder. My fear, which appears to be coming true, is that Jason will latch onto him at the Senior Bowl practices and that this lazy Front Office will shut it down and just go with him at #4. Waste of a valuable resource to me, maybe "waste" is not accurate..I'll say not maximizing a valuable resource.
If you see him as a late 1st now, then how would it be a waste of resources? You may think it's a reach, but if the team were to think he was a franchise QB and have him rated higher than Lynch, and Goff is off the board, then I'd say go for it. You can't guarantee either of them will be there at 36, or that you could trade back into the 1st to get one. If QB is what we're going for, then a reach of a few slots isn't unreasonable.

Yes, this is all early on in the process, and I'm definitely going to keep an eye on what happens at the combine and pro days... and no one's saying otherwise. I just don't see the harm in idenfitying QB prospects who will be available and determining if they have what it takes to be our guy.

With that said, I am getting the feeling that Jerry isn't going to pull the trigger. Romo saying he's going to be playing for a while, Manziel and RG3 being available.... I just think he's going to come up with an excuse to go in another direction.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
With that said, I am getting the feeling that Jerry isn't going to pull the trigger. Romo saying he's going to be playing for a while, Manziel and RG3 being available.... I just think he's going to come up with an excuse to go in another direction.
I sure hope you're wrong, pep. :(

But I could almost see it. I've thought Jerry wanted a QB with that high pick, but who knows -- even if that's right, as the weeks pass he may become convinced that would be a waste because he's sold on Romo playing four more years.

No telling what this loony tunes organization will do. This is a group that has people in the draft room pouting over Sharrif Floyd and having last second arguments over Johnny Manziel.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
February 2nd is the day Cleveland is expected to make a decision on Manziel right? Right after the Super Bowl?

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I sure hope you're wrong, pep. :(

But I could almost see it. I've thought Jerry wanted a QB with that high pick, but who knows -- even if that's right, as the weeks pass he may become convinced that would be a waste because he's sold on Romo playing four more years.

No telling what this loony tunes organization will do. This is a group that has people in the draft room pouting over Sharrif Floyd and having last second arguments over Johnny Manziel.

Here's a scenario... What happens if Tunsil is there at #4? Tennessee desires to go with Boza, Cleveland takes Goff, and a teams trades up to 3 to take Wentz ahead of Dallas. If the Cowboys stick to taking the best available player that would have to be Tunsil. Would you guys do that?

Reaction score
No on Tunsil... We don't need any more 1st round OLs. I think Jack, Nkemdiche, those types would be the fallback. Would say Jaylon Smith, but his injury from the bowl game may cause him to slide.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Here's a scenario... What happens if Tunsil is there at #4? Tennessee desires to go with Boza, Cleveland takes Goff, and a teams trades up to 3 to take Wentz ahead of Dallas. If the Cowboys stick to taking the best available player that would have to be Tunsil. Would you guys do that?

I would probably try my best to trade down in that scenario.

Top Bottom