Reaction score
Iowa offensive lineman Brandon Scherff injured his hamstring during the first full day of workouts at the NFL's scouting combine in Indianapolis, the Associated Press reports.

Scherff is considered one of the top tackles in this year's draft. It was not immediately clear how serious the injury is or whether he'll be healthy for his pro day. He was hurt after running the 40-yard dash in 5.05 seconds.

Georgia running back Todd Gurley also reportedly would not let doctors check his injured left knee. He tore the ACL in it in November. He said Thursday that he wanted to be the first running back taken in the draft.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Gurley still could be the first RB taken... Teams are saying they understand why he doesn't want people twisting and pulling at his knee so soon. And there's concerns about Gordon's pass protection.

Scherff could slide some now but he definitely looks the part of an NFL guard rather than tackle.

Reaction score
Dr. James Andrews, who repaired the ACL on Georgia running back Todd Gurley, was adamant Saturday that any reports that reflect uncertainty about Gurley's progress from Nov. 25th surgery are unfounded based on several team physicians he has communicated with at the Scouting Combine, Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports.

"I heard some fuss that Gurley wouldn't let teams examine him and that's just totally misleading," said Andrews. "The team physicians I have spoken with who are there -- and I have spoken to a bunch of them -- were all happy about what they saw. I mean, they're smart enough to know you can't have 32 teams pulling and tugging on a knee just 3½ months removed from surgery. But the doctors I spoke with said he looked great and I'd say he's probably six weeks ahead with his recovery."

One team's doctor said Gurley's relatively simple surgery -- there was no other damage to his knee other than the ACL -- leave expectations that the Georgia running back would be able to "fully play the game" nine months after the surgery, which would project him as being ready for a team's preseason. This team doctor said the "surgery is almost always a slam dunk" and stability, range of month and quad strength are early predictors for success.

Andrews said he spent time observing and re-examining Gurley before the running back left for the Combine.

"Gurley's quad muscle is way ahead of what you would expect even at this stage and that's vital to a good recovery, as you know," said Andrews. "The Georgia trainer, Ron Courson, did a great job the first six weeks post-surgery and then Todd came here (at he Andrews Institute in Pensacola, FL) and I was very happy before he left for Indianapolis He's been running on a treadmill, running underwater, he's never had any swelling and these teams will get to see just how much more progress he will continue to make before the draft (April 30-May 2)."

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The Jags will trade the pick to the Eagles so that Chip can get his QB

Hope it happens and Philly gives up a boatload to get him.

Seems like a good kid but I don't see him being a good NFL QB. Trading the farm to get him probably ensures they are set back a half decade or more, so I hope it happens.

Reaction score
Yes it would.

Chip Kelly has fielded winning teams in the NFC East with Mark Sanchez and Nick Foles as his QB.

Give him a quality QB, and he'll dominate the division like Andy Reid used to.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I agree with Midswat.. Chip Kelly is winning with guys that aren't exactly perfect fits for his offense. Mariotta is.

Reaction score
Winners and losers from day three of combine:

The defense took its turn on Sunday at the NFL Scouting Combine, and there was a lot to like, especially from the interior linemen and edge players. As a whole, they ran fast, jumped high and far and proved to be incredible athletes for men their size.

There were 300-pounders running the 40-yard dash in under 5.0 seconds. That's not really supposed to happen. There were 260-plus-pounders running the 40 in the 4.5 range with 40-plus-inch vertical leaps.

That's downright freakish, and it left us with more winners from Sunday's on-field Combine workouts than losers.

Winners

DE Alvin (Bud) Dupree (Kentucky) ‐ He didn't make it through the entire workout because of a groin injury, but it didn't matter. He did enough in a few tests to surely make some talent evaluators salivate. Dupree (6-4, 269) ran the 40-yard dash in 4.56 seconds, posted a 42-inch vertical and a 138-inch broad jump. Wow. Just wow. Too bad he couldn't showcase that athleticism during field drills.

DT Leonard Williams (USC) ‐ Validated his status as the best player in the draft with a sub-5.0-second 40-yard dash and an impressive athletic display for a 302-pounder.

LB Stephone Anthony (Clemson) ‐ He looked smooth in drills and ran a 4.56 in the 40-yard dash. At 243 pounds, he likely solidified his status as a first-round pick.

OLB Vic Beasley (Clemson) ‐ Good day for Clemson. Beasley bulked up to 243 pounds and showed he can carry the weight without sacrificing speed and explosion. He was a top performer at his position in every category this week, including the 40 (4.53), bench press (35), vertical leap (41 inches) and 3-cone drill (6.91).

DE Owa Odighizuwa (UCLA) ‐ Strong showing by the powerful Odihizuwa. He looked fluid in drills and proved to be one of the most athletic linemen with a 4.63 in the 40 and 127-inch broad jump.

Losers

LB Paul Dawson (TCU) ‐ Look, the 40-yard dash isn't everything. But it's hard to justify a high pick at linebacker on a player that shows he isn't a premium athlete. Dawson ran 4.93 in the 40 ‐ one of the worst times at his position ‐ had a pedestrian 28-inch vertical leap even before he didn't look smooth in drills. Rough day.

LB Shaq Thompson (Washington) ‐ Thompson's athleticism didn't match the hype. He also looked average in drills. A player some had considered a Top 15 pick should have outclassed mediocre linebacker competition. Thompson did not

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
LB Shaq Thompson (Washington) ‐ Thompson's athleticism didn't match the hype. He also looked average in drills. A player some had considered a Top 15 pick should have outclassed mediocre linebacker competition. Thompson did not
cmd?

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Former Montana Grizzly standout Zack Wagenmann was the top performer among defensive lineman in a few categories on Sunday at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis.

The 6-foot-3, 247-pound defensive end posted an impressive 37.5 inch vertical leap -- the same height Jadeveon Clowney reached last year.

He was the top performer in the 3-cone drill, with a time of 7.07 seconds, the 20-yard shuttle, with a time of 4.26 seconds, and he placed first in several other categories, too.

However, he did place last in the bench press, putting up 225-pounds only 14 times.

Wags posted a solid 40-yard dash time of 4.84 seconds.

Many expert projections have Wagenmann being drafted in the sixth round, but Sunday's showing likely helped his draft status.

Montana's Zack Wagenmann Has Impressive NFL Combine Showing - KULR-8 Television, Billings, MT

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think it's Mayock who has Thompson listed at S.

It is. Shaq was a 5-star recruit as a safety in high school. His freshman year at Washington they had two senior safeties, so they played him at LB to get him on the field. He stayed there.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I think it's Mayock who has Thompson listed at S.

Yea and I read some NFL scouts out there think he's a Kam Chancellor type SS too.

I'm no scout obviously but when I watch him I see a weakside LBer. Especially in this league anymore. Having the LBers with the coverage abilities that he has is a tremendous advantage. Imagine him and Sean Lee together.. Just need to get some big bodies in front of them is all.

But as far as his combine performance... I was a little disappointed too. I thought he was gonna blow up the combine and be out of our reach for good. Glad he didn't. He would be a perfect fit in Marinellis D.

Top Bottom