Reaction score
Thursday, August 27, 2015
A.J. Jenkins hoping late push leads to Cowboys' roster spot
By Todd Archer

OXNARD, Calif. -- Early on in training camp there appeared to be no chance receiver A.J. Jenkins could crack the Dallas Cowboys' 53-man roster.

With two preseason games remaining the chances have improved only a little, but Jenkins is hoping a better-late-than-never tack will work in his favor.

"I'm definitely getting my confidence back," Jenkins said. "I'm in the playbook and trying to feel like myself back again."

The upward tick in plays started last week with a number of difficult catches, especially a low, diving grab across the middle near the goal line. In the preseason loss to the San Francisco 49ers, who made him a first-round pick in 2012, Jenkins caught two passes for 20 yards.

And then on Tuesday Jenkins made a one-handed, spinning catch of a seam throw from Dustin Vaughan that had the crowd clapping.

"He is one of those guys who keeps pounding away every day," coach Jason Garrett said. "He got a couple of chances in the game -- made a good catch on a long third down, made a good catch on a contested ball down the field. He is one of those guys who has some ability."

The 49ers took Jenkins in the first round after a 90-catch, 1,276-yard, eight-touchdown senior season at Illinois, but he didn't have a catch as a rookie in 2012 and was traded to Kansas City the following year. In two seasons with the Chiefs he caught 17 passes for 223 yards in 25 games.

With Dez Bryant missing from the offseason program and a young core of receivers remaining, the Cowboys signed Jenkins in May to bring some experience to the group.

He didn't make much of an impact in the minicamp and was out of sorts early in training camp.

He admits he is trying to prove others wrong, but it is more than just that.

"Trying to prove myself also," Jenkins said. "I haven't been on a team (for a long time). I've been bouncing around. I have to prove to myself I can do it."

With Devin Street slowed by an ankle injury and the Cowboys not wanting to over-use Bryant in the remaining preseason games Jenkins will get more chances to show he is worth keeping around.

"We make evaluations of these guys every minute of every day: on the field, off the field, in meetings, the walkthrough or walking down the hall. The evaluations are constant. There are a lot of eyes on these guys. A lot of things go into the evaluation. Obviously what they do on the football field matters. Again it's up to us to keep giving them opportunities to show they can do it or that they can't do it. You're looking for guys that keep growing and take the coaching and get better. We have a lot of young guys who have done that. I think A.J. has done that."

------------

The contested catches and taking that huge shot and still holding on to the ball made me a believer. If he can handle the possession type routes in traffic, it will only be a little time until he uses that 4.3 speed to burn the deep.

Reaction score
Intrigued by Jenkins, but he's flamed out twice. To keep him, we'd have to go heavy at wide out. Not sure he's worth the roster spot.

Reaction score
Intrigued by Jenkins, but he's flamed out twice. To keep him, we'd have to go heavy at wide out. Not sure he's worth the roster spot.

You are definitely right about him missing on previous opportunities.

But who knows, maybe finally getting away from Alex Smith will help Jenkins turn his career around.

Reaction score
We called training camp off early because our coach is a pussy and ownership thinks we just have to roll the ball out on gameday to win.

Reaction score
Jerry said it himself. Losing Scandrick caused us to tuck tail and fold up tents early.

Have a feeling the team is in for a rude awakening this year, all because ownership and the head coach don't know how to sustain success or how hard it is to have the type of season we had last year.

If we start slow and if the injury bug strikes, we'll only have ourselves to blame.

Reaction score
Positive post, mods don’t read.

I don’t have a problem with them ending camp early. I think they had a very productive training camp. Other than Scandrick, they are escaping camp without any other major injuries. I find it amusing that those without inside knowledge would know when the right time to end camp would be. Garrett made the camp schedule, surely he can alter it.

I would like to see the starters get plenty of work against the Vikings. They do need it.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
is there anything about this team or its decision-making that you won't rubber stamp?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We called training camp off early because our coach is a pussy and ownership thinks we just have to roll the ball out on gameday to win.

You might need to go read the article about it instead of just trolling

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I don’t have a problem with them ending camp early. I think they had a very productive training camp. Other than Scandrick, they are escaping camp without any other major injuries. I find it amusing that those without inside knowledge would know when the right time to end camp would be. Garrett made the camp schedule, surely he can alter it.
I got no problems here either. Goal of the camp was to keep injuries out, and for the most part that mission was accomplished.

I merely don't agree with "injury free" being the number one main goal.

Reaction score
I got no problems here either. Goal of the camp was to keep injuries out, and for the most part that mission was accomplished.

I merely don't agree with "injury free" being the number one main goal.

I don’t think that was their number one goal. The first two preseason games, maybe, but not the entire training camp. Per Garrett:

“I thought it (camp) was outstanding,” Garrett said. “I thought we did a really good job in the offseason program getting ourselves ready for training camp. We believe in a rigorous training camp. We believe in getting in a football uniform and pads and practicing football and establishing the identity of the team in practice every day.

“We have the right kind of guys on our team who come to work -- they don’t say a whole lot -- they just come to work every day. I feel good about where we are.”

Cowboys End Training Camp A Day Early; Garrett Pleased With The Work | Dallas Cowboys

Reaction score
Right kind of guys who come to work everyday. Except the 32 players we are gonna rely on this year that we held out of practice because of hang nails.

Top Bottom