dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
dbair...on the war room cam, with about 2 minutes to go on the clock, Stephen got a call and slammed the phone down shaking his head no. Then Jerry told the guy to the right to call in the pick. Once that guy hung up the phone, they started high-fiving each other.

Jerry was asked about Stephen slamming down the phone in the PC and said he only did that because the call got disconnected. I saw it live and he was definitely shaking his head and mouthing "no" towards Jerry and Jason.

Yeah I saw that, but I still think they were more upset Pitt took Shazier (nobody had ever connected him to them from what I read).

The consensus I heard on the radio is they were sure Shazier was going to be the pick.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
In the last 7 years, only two teams have made fewer draft picks in the Top 100 than the Cowboys. One of those is Washington. That's pretty telling, especially when you combine it with the fact that we suck at drafting in rounds 4-7.

That is telling.

Its got to get better, there is no debate about that.

Reaction score
David Moore made a good point about our late-round drafting of late.

2011 5th round, we drafted Josh Thomas. A few picks later the Seahawks took Richard Sherman. Thomas didn't make the roster and after the 2011 season we signed Brandon Carr for $50 mil and traded up (giving up a second) to draft Claiborne. If we had taken Sherman, he thinks we still would have signed Carr, but we could have stayed put in 2012 1st round and taken Brockers or another DL, and had a 2nd round pick that would likely be a starter now.

Same thing with Akwasi Owusu Ansah over Kam Chancellor. We haven't given up draft picks to get a S, but we have used multiple draft picks to try to fill that position.

These dominoes that fall when you miss time and time again are how you end up with a roster that has poor depth. We've gotten into a cycle where we have to give up premium picks because we have such glaring holes and need premium talent to fill it. Unfortunately we need a bunch of solid players in here now rather than a few premium players. Plus, when it comes time to extend these guys we are taking with premium picks, that's gotten us in cap trouble.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
the misses in the 4th and 5th stick out the most to me. Steven McGee, Brandon Williams, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, Josh Thomas, Danny Coale, Matt Johnson, etc., many of them never played a meaningful down for us.

Reaction score
You have to get contributors in rounds 4-5 occasionally. Not every year, but I can't remember the last 4th-5th rounder that did anything to speak of here.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
So apparently Stephen said Dallas did overpay.

Which means Broaddus is fucking full of shit.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
the misses in the 4th and 5th stick out the most to me. Steven McGee, Brandon Williams, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, Josh Thomas, Danny Coale, Matt Johnson, etc., many of them never played a meaningful down for us.

I'm still holding out hope for Matt Johnson. He's snakebit for sure so far, but he is big, looks like he has really good range and made a lot of plays on the ball in college.

Maybe he will finally stay healthy and show something this yr.

And I do believe JJ Wilcox is gonna be a solid starter for us at safety.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So apparently Stephen said Dallas did overpay.

Which means Broaddus is fucking full of shit.

Yeah I heard his interview, he said they ended up having to go back and "sweeten" the offer, I suspect that might have been because of the report Norm had (as well as the local guys here in Atl) that the Falcons were also trying to move up into Washington's pick. The Falcons D coaches supposedly loved Lawrence too.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You have to get contributors in rounds 4-5 occasionally. Not every year, but I can't remember the last 4th-5th rounder that did anything to speak of here.

Scandrick and Doug Free...Victor Butler wasn't terrible

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Totally with wyvrn on Martin. It's not that it was a disaster pick or that he'll be a bad player. It's just that at 16 overall, you should be able to find a playmaker or a truly dominant guard, and I seriously doubt he's ever that. Would have been fine with him after a little trade down to gain another pick.

The kicker for me is that we could've had Warford instead of Pablo last year and we aren't even having this discussion.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Totally with wyvrn on Martin. It's not that it was a disaster pick or that he'll be a bad player. It's just that at 16 overall, you should be able to find a playmaker or a truly dominant guard, and I seriously doubt he's ever that. Would have been fine with him after a little trade down to gain another pick.

If the guy is a perennial probowler (which is what some of the pundits seem to think he will be) doesn't that mean he is dominant?

And he is probably going to be the starting RT in 2015.

The kicker for me is that we could've had Warford instead of Pablo last year and we aren't even having this discussion.

They didn't draft Warford because Callahan said he wasn't a fit for the ZB scheme, correct?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
For all the belly aching over giving up that 3rd, I still think when you compare the guys we drafted to a lot of other teams that so far at least, we have done pretty well.

Go check out some of the drafts by the other 31 teams. There's a lot of reaches and head scratchers.

We need to put some other good picks together tomorrow, but so far I think we've done well.

Reaction score
Love the first. In like with the second but concerned about the players maturity.

I give the draft a A- so far.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Our 4th rd pick is #119, then we have #158 in the 5th rd.

We have a really long wait from our 5th rd pick to our first choice in round 7, #229. Would be nice if they could move down a little in the 4th or 5th and end up with a 6th somewhere.

Reaction score
Yeah I don't think guys are taking into consideration that Martin will likely spend more time in Dallas as a right tackle then as a guard

And honestly as bad as our oline has been for so long how can you complain about getting a quality offense of lineman at 16

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Wish we had an extra 4th or 5th today, if we did I'd definitely consider one of these QB's

Broaddus and one of those other radio guys seem convinced our 1st pick today will be a DT

Top Bottom