Reaction score
I doubt he wants to do it as a backup

I can't speak for Tony, but I would certainly take a ring as back up. Danny White got a ring that way. He even contributed as punter, holder, and QB for a few plays when Staubach got banged up on a hit. It is odd to think that Danny White, known for choking in NFC title games, has a ring, and yet Dan Marino, a top 5 all time QB does not.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I can't speak for Tony, but I would certainly take a ring as back up. Danny White got a ring that way. He even contributed as punter, holder, and QB for a few plays when Staubach got banged up on a hit. It is odd to think that Danny White, known for choking in NFC title games, has a ring, and yet Dan Marino, a top 5 all time QB does not.

Garrett has a ring as a backup QB. That doesn't make his ring any less valid than Troy's. If we were able to win a Lombardi this year, Tony gets his ring. And it's not any less valid than Dak's.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson said a few weeks ago that this offense has not played their best football yet, and I agree. Dak is already unbelievable, but he could become the next Brady if he hasn't peaked yet. We must keep the offensive line intact his whole career. Likewise, we need Zeke to be a lifer as well.

There's no way Dak as peaked yet. He's still just a rookie. His ability as a passer will only get better the longer he's in the league. His progression should be similar to Russell Wilson's.

The OL will definitely be kept together and I even see them adding pieces to it. Martin will be resigned this off season and Collins will likely get resigned next year. I don't expect them to resign Leary though. I would not be surprised to see them draft a couple linemen over the next couple of drafts as well.

As for Zeke, having him has been amazing. If he keeps himself out of trouble and is able to stay healthy I could see him getting that second contract from the Cowboys (after his 5th year). Although they could view him just like they did Emmitt when they drafted him. The plan could be to ride him into the ground and then get a new one after his rookie contract.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

That was early in White's career though. He hadn't established himself as a starter yet. Tony has and based on the speech he gave still feels he should be a starter. In a perfect world Romo would take a paycut down to around $5 mil and give a big portion of his signing bonus back. I don't see that happening though. Next best option for Dallas would be to get as high a pick as possible for Romo.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He hadn't established himself as a starter yet. Tony has
Tony never really established himself, he was pretty much anointed with no challengers ever allowed. He just sort of fell into the job by default and was never in a competitive situation to keep it. White was challenged every year, there was never a time where Landry held his job sacred - and in fact wanted to trade him to his old college coach in Baltimore for the rights to get Elway in '83.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson said a few weeks ago that this offense has not played their best football yet, and I agree. Dak is already unbelievable, but he could become the next Brady if he hasn't peaked yet. We must keep the offensive line intact his whole career. Likewise, we need Zeke to be a lifer as well.

He'll have a whole offseason to study the film and see these deep routes he's missing develop.

I'm sure he'll get it down at some point.

Heck, he's probably sitting, looking at film and digesting it as we speak.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
He'll have a whole offseason to study the film and see these deep routes he's missing develop.

I'm sure he'll get it down at some point.

Heck, he's probably sitting, looking at film and digesting it as we speak.

That's one of the things I really like about Dak. Everything I've read about him says that this guy studies like very few. His high school coach talked about it and his college coach raved about how much he studies. He even mentioned before his first regular season start that he doesn't get nervous because of the amount of time he puts in studying before each game. Like you said I have. I doubt that he's sitting at home or at the Star right now nitpicking the Vikings defense.

Reaction score
Isn't Moore, Linehan's boy?

Yes. Had him in Detroit. But I wonder if Moore was under the pre-2016 thinking of having experience in Coryell is the only criteria not whether there was talent or ability or a pulse or in Moore's case, puberty.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Tony never really established himself, he was pretty much anointed with no challengers ever allowed. He just sort of fell into the job by default and was never in a competitive situation to keep it. White was challenged every year, there was never a time where Landry held his job sacred - and in fact wanted to trade him to his old college coach in Baltimore for the rights to get Elway in '83.

I wouldn't say he never had any challengers because Parcels did everything he could to keep Bledsoe in over Romo. Then Parcels had to put Romo in because it was apparent that Romo was better, everyone could see it and Parcels conceded. After that though, Romo has never had anyone behind him that could challenge him for the starting job until Dak.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I wouldn't say he never had any challengers because Parcels did everything he could to keep Bledsoe in over Romo. Then Parcels had to put Romo in because it was apparent that Romo was better, everyone could see it and Parcels conceded. After that though, Romo has never had anyone behind him that could challenge him for the starting job until Dak.

Whether Romo was better than Bledsoe was and is debatable. Romo did the exact thing Bledsoe did in that game - threw the really bonehead pick in the opponent end zone. Except Romo's pick went all the way back to the house.

Yes after that there was never any competition allowed, as I said. There were never any challengers. He was anointed.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
By the end of this season it's very likely that Dak will have as many career playoff wins as Romo.

How sad will it be for tony knowing that his super bowl ring (as a back up) was all due to a rookie and that he now has the ring he has coveted all because he "never took a snap this season"

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That was an anomaly trade, because a team who thought they could contend for a championship lost their starting QB a week before the season started. The stars aligned for Philly on that trade.

No way we get a 1st for Romo. A conditional mid round pick is more likely, with the condition being tied to health or playing time.

Now that you've said this, I'm more convinced than ever we'll get something pretty good

Reaction score
Been away for a couple days but good to see Dooms is still the stupidest fuck on this site. I don't like surprises.

Reaction score
@RapSheet
Was asked about #Cowboys’ plans for Tony Romo in 2017. No secret, #Broncos are his No. 1 spot. I’m told DEN is not inclined to trade for him

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
@RapSheet
Was asked about #Cowboys’ plans for Tony Romo in 2017. No secret, #Broncos are his No. 1 spot. I’m told DEN is not inclined to trade for him

What would they expect the Broncos to say? Possible tampering if they said anymore.

Reaction score
Jones wants to ‘cool it’ on talk regarding Tony Romo's future

By Drew Davison
ddavison@star-telegram.com

MOBILE, Ala. — Owner Jerry Jones isn’t ready to speculate on Tony Romo’s future with the Dallas Cowboys.

At least not yet.

Jones tried to minimize any Romo talk before he watched Senior Bowl practices on Tuesday, refusing to even say whether he and Romo have had conversations since the Cowboys’ season ended.

“I’m not going to get into that at all – whether we’ve talked or not,” Jones said. “We’re at a juncture now that, we need to just cool it in our public conversations about what we’re going to be doing or not doing there with Tony.”

Romo’s future is sure to be a storyline all off-season and picked up public steam earlier this week when Romo and Denver Broncos general manager John Elway were photographed together in Washington D.C.

Signs point to no realistic option other than the Cowboys and Romo parting ways. The Cowboys found their quarterback of the future in Dak Prescott, who led the team on an 11-game winning streak and to the NFC’s top seed this season.

Romo, meanwhile, is a significant salary cap hit and likely wants an opportunity to go somewhere and start. Romo is set to make a $14 million base salary in 2017 and count $24.7 million against the salary cap, the highest among any quarterback for next season.

Asked if he had a good idea of what Romo wants, Jones said: “Well, I’ve always had a good feeling that I communicated well and that we as an organization communicated well with Tony. Always – I’ve always had that.”

Romo, who turns 37 in April, is the franchise leader in passing yards (34,154), passing touchdowns (247), passer rating (97.1), completion percentage (65.3) and most 3,000-yard passing seasons (seven).

But he’s missed 21 games with injuries the past two seasons.

The Cowboys are pleased to have found Romo’s replacement even though Prescott’s rise might have happened quicker than expected.

That puts less of an emphasis on the quarterback position this off-season, although backups Kellen Moore and Mark Sanchez are set to become free agents.

Jones said the Cowboys could turn to Moore or Sanchez – or both – as the backup next season, but said it’s “not a given” at this point.

Either way, the organization won’t do as much homework on quarterbacks as they did a year ago when they tried to trade up for Paxton Lynch (Denver) and Connor Cook (Oakland) before landing Prescott.

“It won’t quite have the emphasis it had last year,” Jones said. “We really felt like it was time to look at the future quarterback and that dictated some of our strategy by the time we got down to the draft.

“So much for strategy, we never knew it would turn out the way it's turned out, thank goodness.”

Read more here: Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones wants to ‘cool it’ on talk regarding Tony Romo's future | The Star-Telegram

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Report: Tony Romo expects to be cut not traded

By Mike Florio | Feb 16, 2017, 17:03 GMT+00:00

It’s happening.

As PFT has long predicted (most recently just earlier this hour on The Dan Patrick Show), the Cowboys likely will be releasing not trading quarterback Tony Romo. While that hasn’t happened yet, it’s pointing in that direction.

Ed Werder of ESPN reports that Romo is expecting to be released, not traded.

Back in December, it was predicted on a special Saturday edition of Thursday Night Football that Romo would ask for his release — and that the Cowboys would be inclined to ultimately agree. Since then, it has been predicted in this spot and other PFT-related hangouts that Romo and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones will hammer out a wink-nod arrangement in which Romo gets cut in return for a verbal agreement not to sign with specific other teams including but not limited to Washington. (It would be unenforceable and a Collective Bargaining Agreement violation, but Jones surely trusts that Romo wouldn’t blow the whistle or otherwise reneging.)

Apart from the complexity of trading an aging quarterback with a recent history of significant injuries, Romo would have to welcome a deal that transfers his contract (at a $14 million salary) to a new team for which he may or may not want to play. It makes more sense for him to negotiate a new deal from scratch with the team of his choice. And if that team doesn’t have to give up draft picks to get Romo, that team may be inclined to pay him even more than it otherwise would.

So count this report from Werder as Step One. Before too long, Romo could be stepping right out of Dallas, with an agreed list of potential destinations based on a secret side deal that no one ever will acknowledge.

Top Bottom