MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
It would have to be a Manning/ Denver situation. It was painful watching a broken down Peyton Manning play last year but that defense carried him to a ring. All he had to do was not drive the bus into the ditch.

Romo will have a lot of say in where he ends up. He could be willing to rework his contract to make any trade work (for the team that is trading for him). I believe the Cowboys would still take the same cap hit ($19.5 mil) but if he reworks his contract to take less money like Free did a few years ago it will make him more attractive to other teams.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
With rookie contracts being pretty manageable, I'd take that 19.5 cap hit in exchange for a 2nd round pick.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
This is my hope, somebody overpays for Romo. I'd rather get what they can for him than be sentimental. Draft somebody or sign as UDFA Chad Kelley or Seth Russell whose draft stock is low because of injury and keep Sanchez another year til they hopefully develop.

My hope is that he does get traded to Denver for their 1st and Trevor Simien. Simien is young and has proven he can be a decent QB on a good team. He'd be a perfect backup to Dak. Their 1st is also a very reasonable pick for Romo since it should be in the high 20's.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
My hope is that he does get traded to Denver for their 1st and Trevor Simien. Simien is young and has proven he can be a decent QB on a good team. He'd be a perfect backup to Dak. Their 1st is also a very reasonable pick for Romo since it should be in the high 20's.

They can keep Simien

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Still going to need a backup and I'd rather have Simien than Sanchez or Kellen Moore.

I don't want Kellen Moore at all, but Sanchez has been a starter and has won playoff games. If he wants to saty as a backup I think that's a good role for him.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't want Simien or any other QB in exchange for Romo. Picks or defensive players only.

I'd be fine with letting Sanchez and Moore slug it out for the #2 job in training camp and cut the loser.

If Denver gave us a #2 and one of their CB's, I think it would be a solid trade, considering what we gain in cap room.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
From what I have read, Romo would only bring a conditional mid round pick. If he is traded, I think Dallas will still have a huge salary cap hit. I also read that Romo will be the highest paid player in the league next year. From the sound of things, Romo is just about untradeable due to the cap hit. I suggested trading him years ago while he still had good trade value and his contract was not so bad. Considering his health, I don't think many teams will seriously consider trading for him.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
From what I have read, Romo would only bring a conditional mid round pick. If he is traded, I think Dallas will still have a huge salary cap hit. I also read that Romo will be the highest paid player in the league next year. From the sound of things, Romo is just about untradeable due to the cap hit. I suggested trading him years ago while he still had good trade value and his contract was not so bad. Considering his health, I don't think many teams will seriously consider trading for him.

Don't underestimate the number of really bad QB's there are in the league. Romo would be an immediate upgrade on about 75% of the teams. Age, health and contract are huge roadblocks though. According to what was being reported last weekend though Romo has his eyes on Denver and would be willing to rework his contract to make a trade work for Denver. If he's willing to do that for any team of his choice (not just the Broncos) then his trade value goes up. For the right team I still think he can fetch a high 2nd or low 1st round pick.

I believe the Cowboys would still take a cap hit of $19.5 mil if he's traded (even if he reworks his contract in a trade). Considering Dak is only scheduled to make $600K next year Romo's cap hit is manageable. In fact they would still be saving almost $5 mil on the cap because Romo would count $24 mil against the cap if he's on the team next year.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Romos contract is not an issue for the team that receives him because nothing is guaranteed.

His base salary is 14M in 2017, 19.5M in 2018 and 20.5M in 2019 and none of that is guaranteed by the team taking on the contract so Romo will happily rework the contract for some guaranteed money and bonus $$ up front or the team can leave the contract as is because if Romo meets expectations, the salary would be under market and if he doesn't, they can cut him.

The hurdle to the trade is that Dallas has to eat all the dead cap of 19.6M for bonus money paid whether kept, traded or cut and if traded, I think the entire amount hits the 2017 cap vs a June 1st cut allows it to be split over 2017-18.

IIUC, Romo is a vested veteran, so if he is cut/released, he is not subject to the waiver process and can negotiate with any team he wants**

Since Romo is likely to cooperate with the Cowboys, a trade could be worked out before the draft, then the Cowboys could make him a June 1st cut (assuming its kosher to have a gentlemen agreement with the trade partner that the terms of the trade still apply after the cut). This would allow Dallas to spread the cap hit over 2017-18 at approx 9.8 Million per year.

I don't know if its allowed but if it is, I'd see if Romo would agree to give back the bonus money Dallas has paid him in an amount that would equal the amount of the signing bonus received by the other team (which would cost him nothing, its merely transferring the guaranteed money to facilitate a trade). Let's say this turned out to be $10 million which would reduce Dallas's dead money hit down to 9.6 million which would really come in handy. Not easy to pull off even if its allowed but it doesn't hurt to shoot for the stars.

** per this article:

Once the waiver period starts each year through the trading deadline, a vested veteran — a player who has acquired four years of pension credit — is not subject to the waiver system if the club decides to release him. That means if a team decides to release a vested veteran, the league considers his contract to be terminated immediately and he is free to negotiate and sign with any other club. From the trading deadline through the end of the regular season, vested veterans are subject to the waiver process.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Romos contract is not an issue for the team that receives him because nothing is guaranteed.

His base salary is 14M in 2017, 19.5M in 2018 and 20.5M in 2019 and none of that is guaranteed by the team taking on the contract so Romo will happily rework the contract for some guaranteed money and bonus $$ up front or the team can leave the contract as is because if Romo meets expectations, the salary would be under market and if he doesn't, they can cut him.

The hurdle to the trade is that Dallas has to eat all the dead cap of 19.6M for bonus money paid whether kept, traded or cut and if traded, I think the entire amount hits the 2017 cap vs a June 1st cut allows it to be split over 2017-18.

IIUC, Romo is a vested veteran, so if he is cut/released, he is not subject to the waiver process and can negotiate with any team he wants**

Since Romo is likely to cooperate with the Cowboys, a trade could be worked out before the draft, then the Cowboys could make him a June 1st cut (assuming its kosher to have a gentlemen agreement with the trade partner that the terms of the trade still apply after the cut). This would allow Dallas to spread the cap hit over 2017-18 at approx 9.8 Million per year.

I don't know if its allowed but if it is, I'd see if Romo would agree to give back the bonus money Dallas has paid him in an amount that would equal the amount of the signing bonus received by the other team (which would cost him nothing, its merely transferring the guaranteed money to facilitate a trade). Let's say this turned out to be $10 million which would reduce Dallas's dead money hit down to 9.6 million which would really come in handy. Not easy to pull off even if its allowed but it doesn't hurt to shoot for the stars.

So other than the cap space the Cowboys would get nothing for Romo in that scenario correct? I don't like that at all. With the way Stephen has been running things I don't expect hem to be major players in FA. So unless they are going to use the extra cap space to resign Martin/Collins and possibly Leary it seems the best option is to get the best pick/picks for Romo and just take the entire cap hit in one year. Just get it over with instead of dragging the cap hit over over multiple years. By taking the cap hit all in one year they are set up for a GREAT cap situation in 2018 and 2019, the two years prior to having to resign Dak.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Romo will either retire or Jerry will let him handpick his destination and negotiate a trade. If I'm Romo, I choose Denver. They have a very good defense, a running game that seems to work no matter which RB they plug in, and some pretty talented WR's.

The Jets may be an option as well.

We aren't going to get the biggest return in the trade, but we will get some help.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think Denver would take him, but I also think Kubiak would want to make very sure that Romo can still move well enough to execute his offense. His O is so dependent on the QB being able to move, and I don't think he wants a rerun of that last year with Manning.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
When it comes to Denver it's really all going to come down to how close does Elway think they are to winning a title, does he think a vet gives him a better chance to win, and if he's even willing to give up a premium pick for Romo.

Even if Denver isn't the team I think the Cardinals would also be high on Romo's list. Palmer looks like he's on his last leg.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So other than the cap space the Cowboys would get nothing for Romo in that scenario correct?

No, I was assuming they also received draft picks. Teams will give up a pick or picks for Romo, which ones, I dont know.

I'm with you on getting ahead of the cap but the more flexibility they can generate, the better. Excess cap space gets carried to the following year, so just because they create the room by spreading the dead money over two years, it doesn't mean they have to use it.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I really, seriously doubt there will be a market for Romo. He is stove up. He can't run, can't throw deep, he has no value anymore. Harsh to say, but reality usually is harsh.

The eagles got a 1st for Sam Bradford. There's a market for Romo. Not only is Bradford not NEAR Romo's talent, he's been injured equally as much.

Reaction score
That was an anomaly trade, because a team who thought they could contend for a championship lost their starting QB a week before the season started. The stars aligned for Philly on that trade.

No way we get a 1st for Romo. A conditional mid round pick is more likely, with the condition being tied to health or playing time.

Reaction score
I really think Romo's best option is retirement. Imagine he does go to Denver... and breaks another bone in his first game.

Reaction score
Tony Romo it's done, he can not play an entire NFL season with this physical condition, the guy will be a fucking old man with back problems.

Top Bottom