Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He is still a top 10 qb in this league....

Dallas has likely the dumbest fanbase in the entire league
Oh, the irony.

Romo has NOTHING left, he can't even take dirty looks from d-linemen and not break something. He can't run, and he can't throw deep.

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Personally, I believe there will be a bidding war for Romo. The Bears, Broncos, Jets and Cardinals are all going to want him and they'll drive the price up. Now will the Jets offer Sheldon Richardson and a 2nd round pick for Romo? That I can't say, but I would sure like that trade.

Possibly a first rounder? Eagles got one for Bradford, so it's not totally out of the question

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Personally, I believe there will be a bidding war for Romo. The Bears, Broncos, Jets and Cardinals are all going to want him and they'll drive the price up. Now will the Jets offer Sheldon Richardson and a 2nd round pick for Romo? That I can't say, but I would sure like that trade.

Possibly a first rounder? Eagles got one for Bradford, so it's not totally out of the question

If Romo is willing to rework his contract to make any trade work I believe the price goes up too.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If Romo is willing to rework his contract to make any trade work I believe the price goes up too.

His contract is easily tradable. His base salary is 14M in 2017, 19.5M in 2018 and 20.5M in 2019 and none of that is guaranteed by the team taking on the contract so Romo will happily rework the contract for some guaranteed money and bonus $$ up front.

Dallas has to eat all the dead cap of 19.6M for bonus money paid whether kept, traded or cut.

What I don't know is if Dallas can split the dead money over 2016-17 like they could if they made him a June 1st cut.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
His contract is easily tradable. His base salary is 14M in 2017, 19.5M in 2018 and 20.5M in 2019 and none of that is guaranteed by the team taking on the contract so Romo will happily rework the contract for some guaranteed money and bonus $$ up front.

Dallas has to eat all the dead cap of 19.6M for bonus money paid whether kept, traded or cut.

What I don't know is if Dallas can split the dead money over 2016-17 like they could if they made him a June 1st cut.

I would think they would have to trade him after June 1st for that to happen. Considering the draft is in April that isn't likely to happen.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
They didn't get rid of the post June 1 designation did they? Can't you still cut a limited number of players and designate them June 1 without having to actually wait until that date?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
They didn't get rid of the post June 1 designation did they? Can't you still cut a limited number of players and designate them June 1 without having to actually wait until that date?

You can, but you still don't get to spend the savings until after June 1

It doesn't apply to trades either. Trades all cap money escalates immediately.

FanSince61

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Last night Drew Pearson said Jerry and Tony have a very good relationship and Jerry does not want to see him in another jersey. Drew said he thinks Tony and Dak will compete for the job in training camp. I have no idea if Drew has any inside information or if it just his opinion.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Know what I find really sad? During the telecast they pointed out that Mark Sanchez was sitting next to Dak after that concern over his shoulder, when Kellen Moore was also right there.

This was supposed to be Moore's year to show what he could do, then breaks his ankle, Dak takes his spot and the rest is history.

Kellen Moore, really? Not an NFL QB. Never has been, never will be.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I really, seriously doubt there will be a market for Romo. He is stove up. He can't run, can't throw deep, he has no value anymore. Harsh to say, but reality usually is harsh.

It would have to be a Manning/ Denver situation. It was painful watching a broken down Peyton Manning play last year but that defense carried him to a ring. All he had to do was not drive the bus into the ditch.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Romo had 10 years of his prime robbed by clown ass front office management. He is still a top 10 qb in this league and I hope he goes to Denver and wins 1-2 titles.

Dallas has likely the dumbest fanbase in the entire league (scroll this thread for proof) and so it makes sense that nobody really understood how great tony was for this team.

The term great is thrown around too loosely. Tom Brady s great, he can carry a team. Romo is more very good and maybe one of the most entertaining QBs I have ever watched.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score

This is my hope, somebody overpays for Romo. I'd rather get what they can for him than be sentimental. Draft somebody or sign as UDFA Chad Kelley or Seth Russell whose draft stock is low because of injury and keep Sanchez another year til they hopefully develop.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The term great is thrown around too loosely. Tom Brady s great, he can carry a team. Romo is more very good and maybe one of the most entertaining QBs I have ever watched.

Yep he's certainly been entertaining.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It would have to be a Manning/ Denver situation. It was painful watching a broken down Peyton Manning play last year but that defense carried him to a ring. All he had to do was not drive the bus into the ditch.

Yep someone earlier mighta been bvhawkeye pointed out that even injury prone and never worth a shit Bradford was sought after, and I had to concede that's a fair point - Romo unlike Bradford has some skills so I've changed my opinion - if Romo does go on the market there will be multiple interested parties.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Last night Drew Pearson said Jerry and Tony have a very good relationship and Jerry does not want to see him in another jersey. Drew said he thinks Tony and Dak will compete for the job in training camp. I have no idea if Drew has any inside information or if it just his opinion.

Unless Prescott falters badly, this has exactly zero chance of happening

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

I'd say there is zero chance of that happening. They have hitched their wagon to Dak (rightfully so) and they will spent the early part of their off season figuring out the best place for Romo.

Top Bottom