Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I really posted this more about Jaylon Smith. Another writer fairly close to the team who doesnt think he'll even play next year. The thing is that he is a 22 year old athlete with all the resources in the world to make this happen at his disposal, and it looks doubtful. If it doesnt happen in a year and a half, it wont happen at all despite what Dr Fuzzy says. Jerry really lucked out on this draft getting Dak at what amounts to a top of the 5th round pick because at this point it really looks like they blew the 34 over all pick.

That would make two blown 2nd round picks in a row when you include Gregory

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He went on IR today so I guess all of those people who swore he'd play this year were tricked by their sources.

Reaction score
My absolute favorite CZ habit amongst the Kool-Aid drinkers over there is when ever they hear a story they dont like, the immediate reaction is to attack the media member who wrote the story. In this case it is the usual bull shit: Rappaport is always wrong, doesnt know what he is talking about, blah blah blah. God there are some stupid mother fuckers over there. No wonder Jerry is rolling in money.

By far the dumbest fanbase in the entire league and that includes cesspool Philly.

Reaction score
By Clarence E. Hill Jr.
chill@star-telegram.com

A dream hatched only in the mind of owner Jerry Jones has finally been shattered by the long-known reality of linebacker Jaylon Smith’s injured knee.

Per coach Jason Garrett, the Cowboys are putting Smith on the reserve non-football injury list, effectively ending his season.

This has been the expectation since the Cowboys selected Smith in the second round of the 2016 NFL Draft, despite suffering a severe knee injury in his final game at Notre Dame.

He still has lingering nerve damage that not only clouded his ability to play this season, but possibly ever again.

The optimistic Jones, however, has consistently sold the idea that Smith could play this year. He was placed on the non football injury list even though the Cowboys doctors had expectations of him playing.

But Jones used it as a beacon of hope.

He said as much last Friday on his radio show on 105.3 The Fan.

“We don’t have him on permanent [injured reserve] because we really haven’t given up that he could have enough nerve regeneration that he could compete,” Jones said. “I don’t know where that is, only God knows. But on the other hand, I do know how he’s rehabbed. I do know what he’s about. He’s even more than we had expected.

“He unequivocally is going to be an outstanding defensive player for us, maybe a cornerstone player for us. So we’re way ahead of the game as far as acquiring talent for the future, with him alone.”

The future is the only target for Smith as any chances of him playing this season are over.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but Claiborne over Janoris Jenkins is my bone headed draft of the 2010's move.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm so glad that Dallas doctor was so much smarter than everyone else. :rolleyes

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jerry Jones: Jaylon Smith injured nerve feels 'rejuvenated,' I wouldn't put him on IR if not 'forced to'

Nobody has been more positive about Jaylon Smith's knee injury than Jerry Jones.

The Cowboys owner and general manager had more positive words to share Tuesday morning, the same day the team placed the rookie linebacker on the season-ending injured reserve.

"We decided that it wasn't worth a continued observation and continued looking for Jaylon Smith to get to where he could really help us this year," Jones said of the decision on 105.3 The Fan's Shan and RJ show [KRLD-FM]. "We actually have almost two months before we would play in the ultimate game that if he were ready we'd like to have him."

Smith has been seen working out around the team's practice facility often. However, he's still waiting for the nerve in his surgically repaired left knee to recover.

Jones said Tuesday that Smith has experienced signs of recovery.

"He does have the kind of feeling, the kind of 'rejuvenated,' I'll use that word, feeling regarding his nerve," Jones said. "He is seeing those things that doctors really place a high value on, and plus just how he has established his work ethic, his rehab.

"He's been just a complete focused, real overachiever. And, of course, we know what kind of football player he is. He's arguably one of the better ones in the whole draft. He's a cornerstone for us for the future. And I feel real good about the future.

"As a matter of fact, if we weren't just forced to, I wouldn't put him on inactive today. But it does not make sense to give up a player that we know will be there to help us."

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jerry Jones: Jaylon Smith injured nerve feels 'rejuvenated,' I wouldn't put him on IR if not 'forced to'

Nobody has been more positive about Jaylon Smith's knee injury than Jerry Jones.

The Cowboys owner and general manager had more positive words to share Tuesday morning, the same day the team placed the rookie linebacker on the season-ending injured reserve.

"We decided that it wasn't worth a continued observation and continued looking for Jaylon Smith to get to where he could really help us this year," Jones said of the decision on 105.3 The Fan's Shan and RJ show [KRLD-FM]. "We actually have almost two months before we would play in the ultimate game that if he were ready we'd like to have him."

Smith has been seen working out around the team's practice facility often. However, he's still waiting for the nerve in his surgically repaired left knee to recover.

Jones said Tuesday that Smith has experienced signs of recovery.

"He does have the kind of feeling, the kind of 'rejuvenated,' I'll use that word, feeling regarding his nerve," Jones said. "He is seeing those things that doctors really place a high value on, and plus just how he has established his work ethic, his rehab.

"He's been just a complete focused, real overachiever. And, of course, we know what kind of football player he is. He's arguably one of the better ones in the whole draft. He's a cornerstone for us for the future. And I feel real good about the future.

"As a matter of fact, if we weren't just forced to, I wouldn't put him on inactive today. But it does not make sense to give up a player that we know will be there to help us."

translation after all that hot air: Nerve not firing, good chance he never plays.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Smith first showed how serious the problem was in a workout video he posted just before the NFL combine. In it, he was running and lifting weights, but it also showed he was forced to wear an AFO – an ankle-foot orthosis. This device, often called a brace but in fact is an orthotic, simply holds the foot in place when the body cannot. While Smith has shown he can work out, there’s simply no way to play football in an AFO.

I asked one NFL physician, who by policy is not allowed to speak on record, about whether he believed Smith could play in the future. “When we saw him at the combine and reviewed his records, we put a big question mark on him. The hope was that at that point, just a couple months out from his surgery, that the foot would recover,” he explained. “We saw him again at the medical re-checks and there was no progress. We took him completely off our board at that point. I know some teams brought him in and examined him, but the lack of progress tells me the deficit is likely permanent.”

Not only did the Cowboys not take Smith off their board, they drafted him in the second round. Many speculated that they had some inside information on Smith. After all, their team physician, Dr. Dan Cooper, performed the knee surgery on Smith. Smith signed quickly, but was not ready to participate even after more time in the Cowboys program. He’s been seen at practice and working out, but never without the AFO. Smith even wore the AFO at a recent public appearance. The device can be seen at about the 1:10 mark of this video shot during a charity appearance in his home town of Fort Wayne, Ind.

https://www.all22.com/dallas-cowboys/jaylon-smith-likely-never-play-dallas-cowboys

Reaction score
Wow. Certainly doesn't sound good.

What a huge mistake this'll be if he never plays again.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Wow. Certainly doesn't sound good.

What a huge mistake this'll be if he never plays again.

What a coincidence, all the doctors who DIDNT think he would ever play again, DIDNT work for Jerry. Bottom line is: he should have shown a lot more progress both initially and up to this point according to everything we are reading. Other teams (the smart ones not owned by an egomaniac) were scared off when no progress was shown initially. Also I have a bridge to sell you if you think NE was gonna blow a second round pick on this guy.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If there has been no significant progress after a year it is extremely unlikely that he will ever play professional sports again

His nerve may refire and he may recover to a point where he doesn't have to wear a boot. But it is unlikely he will ever recover to where he can play again

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
What a coincidence, all the doctors who DIDNT think he would ever play again, DIDNT work for Jerry. Bottom line is: he should have shown a lot more progress both initially and up to this point according to everything we are reading. Other teams (the smart ones not owned by an egomaniac) were scared off when no progress was shown initially.

Jerry almost acts like this was the Witten/spleen situation a few years ago where if he just flies around the country and asks enough doctors, he can find one who will approve him, and then the player can play.

Also I have a bridge to sell you if you think NE was gonna blow a second round pick on this guy.
Ah, the old standby of the Cowboys propaganda machine: We had intel the Pats/Seahawks/Ravens/other good drafting team were just about to take him, so we had to.

Top Bottom