Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
About that nerve firing: It still isn't

You have to root for the guy, both as a person and for what he could do for our defense.

But if he fails, let him be the last second round injury prone/risk gamble.

Exactly

You DO NOT take a flyer in the second or even the third round. If you are going to take a chance on a player that may never pan out at least wait till the fourth round, unless you are using a supplemental pick like we did to get Dak in the fourth. (Thanks PHI)

Reaction score
Regardless of how well the Cowboys are doing right now, this is still the single dumbest 2nd round pick in the history of ever. We could have had a solid contributor playing this whole season. Instead we have a ghost, a phantom, vaporware...

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Regardless of how well the Cowboys are doing right now, this is still the single dumbest 2nd round pick in the history of ever. We could have had a solid contributor playing this whole season. Instead we have a ghost, a phantom, vaporware...

I believe Hunter Henry and the MLB from Bama were to next best players available.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I believe Hunter Henry and the MLB from Bama were to next best players available.

We supposedly were high on Illinois DE Jihad Ward who went 10 picks later to the Raiders. I haven't seen too many Raider games but I have noticed him playing in the games I have seen.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
He's not playing this season. People at CZ are convinced he will. #sources

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score

My absolute favorite CZ habit amongst the Kool-Aid drinkers over there is when ever they hear a story they dont like, the immediate reaction is to attack the media member who wrote the story. In this case it is the usual bull shit: Rappaport is always wrong, doesnt know what he is talking about, blah blah blah. God there are some stupid mother fuckers over there. No wonder Jerry is rolling in money.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

We went from hoping Rolando McClain, Jaylon Smith, and Randy Gregory would add a late-season boost to this defense to praying for Mo Claiborne and Barry fricking Church to get back.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
We went from hoping Rolando McClain, Jaylon Smith, and Randy Gregory would add a late-season boost to this defense to praying for Mo Claiborne and Barry fricking Church to get back.

That's such a sad truth.

Witout question no matter how this season ends up the lack of playmakers on the defensive side of the ball should be what the attention / time / focus / draft picks / FA spending in the offseason should be geared towards.

Your avatar ( Zach Cunningham ) would be a good place to start but sadly he keeps playing his way towards the top of the first round and out of our reach.

Offseason / Come on down Eric Berry..............Please Jerry & Stephen make it happen.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
That's such a sad truth.

Witout question no matter how this season ends up the lack of playmakers on the defensive side of the ball should be what the attention / time / focus / draft picks / FA spending in the offseason should be geared towards.

Your avatar ( Zach Cunningham ) would be a good place to start but sadly he keeps playing his way towards the top of the first round and out of our reach.

Offseason / Come on down Eric Berry..............Please Jerry & Stephen make it happen.

I don't see Stephen making any big splashes in FA. They will get the extra pick for Romo and build this defense through the draft.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
You may be right but there is always hope. If the price is right and doesn't mortgage the future wouldn't hurt this team to add true talent iin FA instead of bargain bin role players with little to no impact on game day or girlfriend beating uninspired purple drank drinking stooges no one else in the league would touch.

There is also hope that the magic horseshoe they found the past draft doesn't get lost because for the past decade or so this team has been abysmal accumulating defensive draft picks that have amounted to much more than wasted money & roster space. Sean Lee and some promising picks who have shown glimpses of potential from the past 2 drafts are all we have to show for many reaches & wasted picks.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
You may be right but there is always hope. If the price is right and doesn't mortgage the future wouldn't hurt this team to add true talent iin FA instead of bargain bin role players with little to no impact on game day or girlfriend beating uninspired purple drank drinking stooges no one else in the league would touch.

There is also hope that the magic horseshoe they found the past draft doesn't get lost because for the past decade or so this team has been abysmal accumulating defensive draft picks that have amounted to much more than wasted money & roster space. Sean Lee and some promising picks who have shown glimpses of potential from the past 2 drafts are all we have to show for many reaches & wasted picks.

That's where Will McClay comes in. The past 5 drafts have been focused mainly on the offense, at the top end of the draft especially. Now that the offense is where it needs to be I'd expect those top end picks to be spent on defense now. After trading Romo they should have 4 picks in the top 3 rounds. So we should all be paying attention to who the best defensive players are in college right now because it's likely that at least 3 of them will be starting for the Cowboys next year.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

When it comes to FA I don't see Stephen going after anyone who is even close to 30 years old. If they did go after someone in FA it would likely have to be someone that is coming off their rookie contract. And I don't think it will be anyone that is commanding max money. Under Stephen I believe the days of the Brandon Carr contracts are over. If they pay anyone it will be someone already on the team like Zack Martin and La'el Collins.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
That's where Will McClay comes in. The past 5 drafts have been focused mainly on the offense, at the top end of the draft especially.

Not necessarily so if you count the first 4 rounds of the draft as the top end. We have had 21 picks in the top 4 rounds the past 5 years and I believe 14 have been on the defensive side of the ball.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Not necessarily so if you count the first 4 rounds of the draft as the top end. We have had 21 picks in the top 4 rounds the past 5 years and I believe 14 have been on the defensive side of the ball.

If those 14 these guys are on the team and being productive. Byron Jones, Lawrence, Maliek Collins, Sean Lee, Mo, Tyrone Crawford, Kyle Wibur, Hitchens, and Damian Wilson are on the team and playing an active role. Only Mo and Jones were 1st rounders. And that is with the offense being the focus of each draft.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jerry has claimed before that Jaylon Smith will play this season (he talked about the LB YET AGAIN today), and now he's saying that Romo could stay on for 2017. No way that happens, right?

Matt Mosley: Jerry has to at least say that about Romo. He wants to get the best compensation possible for him. Let's all realize what he's doing. It's called posturing. I'm doing a bit of this as I try to weigh a few offers! Jaylon Smith isn't going to play this year. Deliver me! He's a project for goodness sakes. I hope it works out. I think it's a long shot he plays next season. Come to me for all your Jerry translations.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Jerry has claimed before that Jaylon Smith will play this season (he talked about the LB YET AGAIN today), and now he's saying that Romo could stay on for 2017. No way that happens, right?

Matt Mosley: Jerry has to at least say that about Romo. He wants to get the best compensation possible for him. Let's all realize what he's doing. It's called posturing. I'm doing a bit of this as I try to weigh a few offers! Jaylon Smith isn't going to play this year. Deliver me! He's a project for goodness sakes. I hope it works out. I think it's a long shot he plays next season. Come to me for all your Jerry translations.

I was thinking that when he said it. I don't know that Jerry was saying that to ensure that he will be the best compensation though. I think he honestly believes that. I don't think Stephen thinks that though. Stephen prefers draft picks and the fact that Jerry has been saying that means that Stephen and McClay have more leverage when it comes to trading Romo.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I was thinking that when he said it. I don't know that Jerry was saying that to ensure that he will be the best compensation though. I think he honestly believes that. I don't think Stephen thinks that though. Stephen prefers draft picks and the fact that Jerry has been saying that means that Stephen and McClay have more leverage when it comes to trading Romo.

I really posted this more about Jaylon Smith. Another writer fairly close to the team who doesnt think he'll even play next year. The thing is that he is a 22 year old athlete with all the resources in the world to make this happen at his disposal, and it looks doubtful. If it doesnt happen in a year and a half, it wont happen at all despite what Dr Fuzzy says. Jerry really lucked out on this draft getting Dak at what amounts to a top of the 5th round pick because at this point it really looks like they blew the 34 over all pick.

Last edited:

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
so basically yet another blown 2nd round draft pick by Dallas. What a shock that is

Top Bottom