Reaction score
You're reaching. You don't give a fuck about how the government spends.

Here you support research into snail sex.
http://www.dallascowboysuniverse.co...ending-880-000-to-Study-Benefits-of-Snail-Sex

Here you support a retired county clerk making almost half a mil a year
http://www.dallascowboysuniverse.co...trator-to-get-423-644-a-year-after-retirement

Here you support research as to why lesbians are fat
http://www.dallascowboysuniverse.co...end-1-5-Million-to-Study-Why-Lesbians-Are-Fat

Nice try though...

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Let's stay on topic. Government research has been shown by conservative estimates to have a 4:1 ROI. So yeah, I support government research. I don't support going after poor people for absolutely no reason, however. Given what's happened in Florida can you offer justification for bills like this? If so please break it down for me.

An almost 50k net loss on the testing alone - not counting all the money spent on lawyers/etc to make this a law. On top of that now they have to pay the lawyers even more to defend the constitutionality of the law.

For what? To catch 100 poor stoners? How many hundreds of thousands of dollars would you suggest we spend on that endeavor? Ask yourself why we're even making this an issue?

Reaction score
As much as it takes. I'm fine with it.

Time for some poor stoners to stop being leaches on the economy.

Plus, I like the idea of all those new drug testers and lawyers getting work. That'll really stimulate the economy moreso than say, paying a poor stoner to buy illicit drugs with government money.

Can't wait until more states enact this common sense law.

ScipioCowboy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
On one hand, Florida lost $45,000 implementing the law. On the other hand, Midswat supports it so it can't be all bad.

Reaction score
Call it legislation for spite. I'll call it common sense.

God forbid we expect citizens to be productive, contributing members of society.

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Why don't we test everyone who receives government money then?

Students, contractors, government employees....etc. So far where they've done these tests what they find is that welfare recipients use drugs at a lower rate than the general populace. So why are we only testing them?

Students are out trying to better their life thats why they get money. The government giving money to people that work for it, contractor and employees, is very different then giving money to people because they can't afford to provide for them or their families.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Students are out trying to better their life thats why they get money. The government giving money to people that work for it, contractor and employees, is very different then giving money to people because they can't afford to provide for them or their families.

IIRC, Most people on welfare receive it for an average of four months. They are people having a tough time, down on their luck, etc. The disabled account for a large percentage of long-time welfare recipients. The image people have of chronic welfare user/abusers sitting around getting their gub'mint checks just isn't reality for the most part. Overwhelmingly, these are people trying to "better their lives" and get back on their feet. As a civilized society, we have a responsibility to care for the least fortunate members of our society - because it's the right thing to do, and because that could be us someday. At least that's my opinion on it.

ScipioCowboy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Superpunk provided a good source. But from a Keynesian perspective, Midswat makes a valid point about stimulus.

Reaction score
IIRC, Most people on welfare receive it for an average of four months. They are people having a tough time, down on their luck, etc. The disabled account for a large percentage of long-time welfare recipients. The image people have of chronic welfare user/abusers sitting around getting their gub'mint checks just isn't reality for the most part. Overwhelmingly, these are people trying to "better their lives" and get back on their feet. As a civilized society, we have a responsibility to care for the least fortunate members of our society - because it's the right thing to do, and because that could be us someday. At least that's my opinion on it.

Cool story bro.

Did I miss where we were doing away with welfare?

Because I could've sworn we were just requiring recipeints to be drug tested.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Comparing people that get free money to people that are either paying back the money (students) or working for the money (govt employees) is really stupid.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We need to crack down on people claiming to be disabled and getting SSI. There was a woman on Judge Judy who got an SSI check for a heart condition, but she was able to have 9 kids. I've seen tons of people on that show alone who claim to be disabled but really aren't.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Comparing people that get free money to people that are either paying back the money (students) or working for the money (govt employees) is really stupid.

A) I never suggested they were the exact same thing. But if the issue is "People receiving money from the govt. using drugs" then the question is why are we only concerned about the poor? Especially when so far, we've seen they use drugs at a lower rate than the gen pop (probably because they have no money to buy drugs with, they are too busy barely feeding their family). I suspect it's because they are easy targets, and they make convenient punching bags for politicians looking to curry favor with people who approve of "legislating for spite", even though this is not an issue that saves anyone money or accomplishes a damn thing.
B) FSA and pell grants are not loans and do not have to be repaid.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
There is a big difference between someone who is getting free money versus someone who is working for it. It's a dumb comparison.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
:fucking facepalm

So where is the clamoring for drug testing for students receiving federal student aid, pell grants and scholarships? (you know, the bit you were wrong about repaying earlier?) Free money galore. Why do you think politicians aren't barking up that tree?

Could it be because students don't make as convenient of a can to kick for political gain as poor people?

Wake up and realize when you're being played.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
There is a big difference between someone getting free money and someone getting money for an education. One is contributing to society and one is leeching off of it.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Because all students become contributing members of society -and in their field of study, too! And all welfare recipients are just sitting on their couch drinking 40s and having babies. Got it.

Reaction score
I agree that students should be drug tested.

Certainly glad the measure is going into effect requireing those on welfare to, in the meantime.

Can only hope more states do this.

Top Bottom