Iamtdg

Reaction score
Texas Senate approves drug testing for welfare
By JIM VERTUNO, Associated Press | April 10, 2013 | Updated: April 10, 2013 3:56pm
Comments 0 E-mail Print

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Some Texas applicants for welfare would be subjected to drug testing and would be permanently cut off if they fail three times under a bill passed Wednesday by the state Senate.

The bill covers Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program applicants. The program, which provides poor people with money for food, clothing, housing and other basic needs, distributes about $90 million to more than 100,000 Texans annually. The amount of the payment depends on family size and income.

"Taxpayer money should not be used to subsidize someone's drug habit," bill sponsor Sen. Jane Nelson, R-Flower Mound, said before the bill sailed through on a 31-0 vote that sent it to the House.

The program already requires adult TANF applicants to sign a pledge not to sell or use drugs. Nelson's bill would move Texas in line with seven other states that require testing. It would not cover other welfare programs such as food stamps or other state benefit programs.

Not all applicants would be tested, but all would be required to undergo a screening assessment, likely a questionnaire, to determine their risk of drug use. Anyone with a previous felony drug conviction or failed drug test or who is otherwise deemed a high risk for drug use would be tested.

Applicants who test positive would be barred from collecting benefits for 12 months. They could reapply in six months if they complete a substance abuse program. Three failed drug tests would result in a permanent ban.

The bill would still allow the applicants' children to receive benefits through a designated third party.

"My intent was never to harm the children," Nelson said.

She said many Texas employers require pre-employment drug testing and said her bill may help people find jobs and get off welfare.

"We're not only going to help them get off drugs," Nelson said. "We're going to help them get a job."

The Senate is also considering a separate bill that would require similar screening and drug testing for those who apply for unemployment benefits. Gov. Rick Perry has expressed support for both drug testing bills.

"Welfare should never subsidize the irresponsible choices of otherwise capable people who instead elect to stay at home, play video games, and get high with their friends," Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst said.

F Yeah! :towel

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Another bill that will cost more than it saves.

The only people who win are the company that is awarded the testing contact (see: corruption in Florida) and i guess self righteous internet schmucks

iceberg

In the Rotation
Reaction score

The only people who win are the company that is awarded the testing contact (see: corruption in Florida) and i guess self righteous internet schmucks

so you call yourself a winner then?

Iamtdg

Reaction score

Pulling shit out of your ass as normal. You have absolutely nothing to substantiate this claim.

Hell, they may work out a contract with a company to provide tax breaks to the company instead of paying as much as an employer would now to test an employee.

You have no clue.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Besides, as it states in the article, it's not like they will be testing all 100,000 recipients. Only those that are deemed high risk because of past indiscretions or failed tests.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Drug tests run around 30 bucks a pop. So, even if they tested every single applicant annually it would be $3 million. The program currently deals out 90 million in free money. So, I figure it would be fairly easy to cut out a little over 3% of money dealt out by cutting the ones that abuse the system to break even. No brainer to me.

Reaction score
If you are going to test, you test everyone who receives the benefits not just those you suspect are at high risk.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
Drug testing makes sense for welfare people. If they are using the money for drugs cutting them off is a good idea. The bigger issue is then what's next? What are these hard core drug addicts going to do? We have an open border policy for illegals that encourages them to fill the jobs the degenerates of our society used to do before the nanny welfare state. I have said for years it must be a two part solution. Reforming welfare is only part of the solution.

Last edited:

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with this. If they are giving you money you shouldn't be buying drugs with it. I wouldn't complain if they were to add alcohol, tobacco or other non essentials. I get annoyed when I see FB post saying, "no money for diapers." Then the next day it's, " baby bonus is in, who wants to go downtown for drinks?"

ScipioCowboy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Couple things here:

1) People who use drugs often have children who don't.

2) I really would like to see a cost/benefit analysis.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with this. If they are giving you money you shouldn't be buying drugs with it. I wouldn't complain if they were to add alcohol, tobacco or other non essentials. I get annoyed when I see FB post saying, "no money for diapers." Then the next day it's, " baby bonus is in, who wants to go downtown for drinks?"

Why don't we test everyone who receives government money then?

Students, contractors, government employees....etc. So far where they've done these tests what they find is that welfare recipients use drugs at a lower rate than the general populace. So why are we only testing them?

Because it's another pointless bogeyman people can hold up. The war on the poor is easy to fight. And everyone can get all excited because the state saved a couple g's on one or two recipients who tested positive.

Reaction score
I'm sure you're aware that most contractors and government employees are subject to drug testing, right?

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Some =/= all

We also don't make their funding dependent upon everyone in the company being drug free, etc.

I've been a government employee, and am currently working for a government contractor. I use insane amounts of drugs. Never been piss tested once. If I failed noone would give a shit, either.

I know it's not the exact same thing, because employees and contractors are providing a service. Students would be the most appropriate example. IMO these are not really effective cost-saving propositions. Florida's gov. said over and over again that welfare recipients use drugs at a higher rate than the general population and that has proved untrue. The savings these programs generate (if any) is meager at best. It's just a fancy distraction. Poor people are easy and fun to kick.

Reaction score
Maybe you have a point that students should be drug tested.

And maybe it's unfortunate that they're not.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that that changes in the future.

In the meantime... do you have a better argument as to why welfare recipients shouldn't be drug tested other than 'well students!?!?!'

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The savings aren't enough to justify this even being an issue.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/20/2758871/floridas-welfare-drug-tests-cost.html

Of the 4,086 applicants who scheduled drug tests while the law was enforced, 108 people, or 2.6 percent, failed, most often testing positive for marijuana. About 40 people scheduled tests but canceled them, according to the Department of Children and Families, which oversees Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, known as the TANF program.

The numbers, confirming previous estimates, show that taxpayers spent $118,140 to reimburse people for drug test costs, at an average of $35 per screening.

The state’s net loss? $45,780.

"That’s not counting attorneys and court fees and the thousands of hours of staff time it took to implement this policy," Newton said.

The law also didn’t impact the number of people who applied for benefits.

The findings don’t ruffle supporters of the law, who say that its primary purpose is to make sure taxpayer money doesn’t supplement drug use.

"It’s not about money, it’s about the drug issue," said Rep. Jimmie Smith, R-Lecanto, who sponsored the legislation. "It’s about using every tool we have in the toolbox to fight drugs." LOL

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/20/2758871/floridas-welfare-drug-tests-cost.html#storylink=cpy

And now Florida is mired in a legal battle with the ACLU, costing the state even more. Texas won't be any different.

Top Bottom