Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Rice TE Vance McDonald had an impressive first day in the weigh ins and practices.

I wanted to draft James Casey a few years ago, but this guy is even better as he would actually play TE in the NFL lol. He reminds me of Jason Witten alot coming out. Somewhat inexperienced as a receiver, questions about his blocking, but can really get open and catch the football.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Scout’s Notebook: Broaddus Evaluates Senior Bowl Players

MOBILE, Ala. – The second day of the Senior Bowl has shown us some positive trends about a few players.

Here are some things I’ve seen and heard from some of the NFL scouts, as well as my own observations.
•The Senior Bowl buzz about safety Jonathan Cyprien of Florida International is legit. The kid has range on the backend but he can also work down in the box. Assignments seem sure and when he is asked to cover, he can do the job. Only saw one play where he was out of position but rallied to get back in shape. Will need to check his awareness when ball went to the outside and he appeared a little late to find it but other than that was just fine. Like McDonald looking forward to see the physical side of the game but will have to check his college tape for sure.

•Defensive tackle Sylvester Williams is a load inside. Is a hard guy to deal with when he is on the move. He plays with power and some upper body strength. Would be a fit as that one technique in the Cowboys scheme. Saw some late pass rush moves to free himself but will need more training in this area because did see a couple plays in team where he was single blocked on the pass. Like the way he handled the run at. Kawann Short of Purdue is another guy to keep your eye on. There were questions about his motor and if he would play all the time but I am not seeing that now. Like Williams he has been in the backfield a bunch during the 9-on-7 period. He too plays with power and is a taller player than Williams.

•There was some great matchups between offensive tackle Eric Fisher and defensive end Datone Jones of UCLA. Both players went back and forth causing each problems. Fisher is very good with his feet which has given the ends trouble but Jones has played with explosiveness which gave Fisher some trouble. The ability for Jones to get on Fisher quickly didn’t allow him to get a set on him and he was able to carry him back into the backfield a couple of times. Fisher got him a couple of times on cut off blocks but when Jones got free, he was able to chase from the backside. Jones would be a nice fit as the weakside end or where Ware plays on the backside because of his ability to run.

•Texas wide receiver Marquise Goodwin turned some heads on Monday with his ability to get open. On Tuesday, he had some nice reps but he also had some reps where his height gave him some problems. Goodwin is right at 5’9” and there were some sideline routes and in cuts where he really had to jump to try and grab the ball. There is no question of his hands or speed when he put it in the frame work of his body but the ability to have to adjust will be something that he is going to have to deal with during his career but these North quarterbacks haven’t helped him much with their accuracy problems.

•In the Cowboys 4-3 scheme, you need linebackers that can run and get to the ball. A player that stood out for me today as far as getting to the ball was Rutgers’ Steve Beauharnais. Every time the ball went to the outside on the toss Beauharnais was there to make the play. He plays like one of those guys that has a nose for the ball and his height and weight would lead me to believe that he would probably be better suited to play as that Will linebacker. I need to see his timed speed but he is just a tick below 6’1” and 236 pounds. Might be a third day guy but he did jump out at me several times today.

•Ezekial Ansah will also get work on the South side today. Really liked how he played end and tackle during his career at BYU. Will be compared to Jason Pierre Paul due to his lack of career football but doesn’t have that type of explosive quickness. Would draft him high if you just watched the Utah film.

•Talked to some scouts about Bacarri Rambo the safety from Georgia, didn’t get a great vibe about the character or off the field problems. Probably a player they would steer away from going forward. Will take a hard look at Jonathan Cyprien from Florida International. I missed him on Monday focusing in on McDonald and others. See if he does anything for me today.

•Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson is wearing a yellow jersey which means he is dressed the same as the other quarterbacks on the North but he did not throw a pass yesterday and got work at wide receiver but he didn’t get any work on release drills versus the defensive backs which surprised me. Hands look dependable but not natural on routes.

•Wisconsin center Ricky Wagner showed me some position flex by lining up at right tackle. All the film I studied of him during the season was him playing inside. Did not struggle or look out of place at all. Kyle Long of Oregon also played some tackle but guard as well.

•Heard some great things about Baylor wide receiver Terrance Williams from the South practice. He played in a great system in college where he had to run all kinds of routes and do them at a fast pace. Hands have always been solid. Proud to say that he also went to my high school in Dallas, W.T. White.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Scout’s Notebook: Turning Attention To South Team

Posted 1 hour ago

Bryan Broaddus

MOBILE, Ala. – After viewing two practices from the North Team at the Senior Bowl, it’s time to turn the attention over to the South Team for the first time.

Linemen on both sides of the ball, including Kentucky guard Larry Warford and Georgia defensive tackle John Jenkins, stood out more than the quarterbacks.

Some observations for the South practice this afternoon:
•It’s clear to me that you’re going to have to go back and study the film on these quarterbacks for both squads if you really want to get a true read of what you’re most likely going to get. I haven’t been impressed with either side, and in my scout’s brain I’m trying to remember if this is something I normally see or if someone usually stands out better. I know that Russell Wilson was here this time last season, but through two North practices and one South, no one has really stepped up and taken charge. On the South side this afternoon, I was looking forward to seeing Landry Jones, Tyler Wilson and EJ Manuel, and of the three, Manuel seems to be the one that has no idea where his ball’s going to go. Jones looks uncomfortable taking snaps from center and Wilson made one really good throw that got my attention when he threw a nice in route but other than that, I was left with very little. I told myself that I was going to judge these quarterbacks on their college film and I will do so, but I really was expecting more from this South group today and I didn’t get it. I mention nerves might be a problem with these quarterbacks because there have really been some questionable throws from what I’ve seen. There have been way too many passes on the ground in these practices. I never viewed this game as one to hurt a player, just a way to answer a few more questions, but for teams looking at quarterback as a need, those questions just became a little fuzzier.

•My scout’s crush on Kentucky guard Larry Warford continued today and grew a little strong after I watched him live during this afternoon’s practice. He’s just such a big man that moves so well for his size that you can’t help but like what he can do as a player. There were several times where rushers tried to take him down the middle and he would just sit or anchor down, not allowing them to go anywhere. There were times where the tackle blocked down inside and he quickly pulled to his right getting around the corner. He was good on the backside when he had to make the cut off block getting his head front side keeping the defender from the play. For his size, he moves well, very light on his feet and able to mirror and adjust with ease. Only had one time where he lunged and became overextended and lost his contact and base which hurt him. Had this thought that he might have been there in the second round when the Cowboys selected if they went defensive line in the first round. Think he is one of those guys that might go earlier in the second because of the position he plays. The way he plays on tape is showing in these practices.

•Defensive end Ezekial Ansah is going to cause me to watch every defensive film from BYU this season to truly find out what he is. I know when I studied the Utah game from earlier in the season, you would have drafted him high off that one game, but other games like Notre Dame and Oregon State left me thinking otherwise. He just hasn’t played that much football and you can really see that. He plays more on feel and God-given ability than he does technique. I love the fact that the Lions coaches are working with him because he does have a unique ability. When he lines up wide and rushes you get the feeling that he can get pressure on his first step, but where he misses out is he doesn’t have that move to the outside or the know-how of using his hands to free himself from the blocker. There are too many times where he rushes straight down the middle and he isn’t strong enough to handle that. His best move is his spin move but he can’t do that every rush. There is no doubt the talent is there, but really just lacks the know-how. Can see a team falling in love with him late in the round and not passing on that opportunity to work with him. Again, need to study his entire body of work and figure him out.

•I have to admit that I didn’t know much about Oklahoma offensive tackle Lane Johnson before I came to the Senior Bowl, but I was impressed with what he was able to do in practice on Tuesday. If I could describe his day in one word, I’d say that he is a “Finisher.” He’s one of those blockers that goes to the whistle and a little beyond. Lined up both at left and right tackle but looks better suited for right side duty. Showed some nice quickness off the ball and good with his set. Is light for 302 but didn’t get over-powered or knocked back into the lap of the quarterback. As mentioned, works to sustain and stay engaged, mirror slide and adjust. Battled to make the reach and cut off blocks, which were not a problem. Without DJ Fluker here, I thought he was the best tackle on the South side and the second best linemen behind Warford. Can see him adding weight to his frame and becoming a bigger tackle on the right side. The effort and traits are there to help a team that drafts him.

•To see defensive tackle John Jenkins practice was a good thing for me. At 359 pounds, he’ll have to play that one technique in this new Cowboys front seven, but from what I saw today, he could do it. Now the question becomes, do you have an eight time Pro Bowler or is he out of the league in three years? Today, I really liked what I saw when it came to being a disruptive player. He’s a very hard man to block on the move, and when he takes a gap he can be a problem. There’s a lot of power in his game because of his mass, but there are very good feet to go along with that mass. He’s not one that stays blocked too long, and for a large man, he does attempt some pass rush moves. Has a quick swim move that he will use to free himself. Is not one of those tackles that just bull rushes and tries to push the pocket. Did a better job in this practice with his effort in finishing the play. I have seen times at Georgia where he didn’t do that to the best of his ability. Really doesn’t move like a sloppy guy and if motivated can be a real problem inside. In this scheme, he could take the two blockers and allow the three technique to attack up the field. Feel better about what I saw today than what I did on tape, so that’s a positive. Is really one of those players that scouts like to call “Boom or Bust,” because he could really go either way.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Defensive tackle Sylvester Williams is a load inside. Is a hard guy to deal with when he is on the move. He plays with power and some upper body strength. Would be a fit as that one technique in the Cowboys scheme. Saw some late pass rush moves to free himself but will need more training in this area because did see a couple plays in team where he was single blocked on the pass. Like the way he handled the run at. Kawann Short of Purdue is another guy to keep your eye on. There were questions about his motor and if he would play all the time but I am not seeing that now. Like Williams he has been in the backfield a bunch during the 9-on-7 period. He too plays with power and is a taller player than Williams.

This is the guy I've been talkling about. 2nd round. Especially now Ratliff making a fool of himself.

Reaction score
@BryanBroaddus
“@newbury1310: McDonald still scares me in space and coverage.” I tend to agree. No catch up speed or quickness.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Alot of people thought that Robert Lester would follow Mark Barron into the 1st round, now some NFL scouts think he should add some weight and move to LB.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I like both of them and have for awhile. Rambo is the best ball hawek in this draft IMO. Williams is very physical and also a good leader in the lockerroom. Both of them have pretty solid athletic skills.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
2013 Senior Bowl: North Wednesday Practice Notes

Written by Eric Galko on Wednesday, 23 January 2013 18:27.

Apologies for the delay, couldn't get the notes in before the second practice. I (Eric Galko) took the quarterbacks, running backs, and linebackers, myself and Mark Dulgerian worked on the receivers and defensive backs, and Alex Brown focused on the offensive and defensive line.

Mike Glennon won the day's "best QB award", while Jonathan Franklin, Markus Wheaton, Marquise Goodwin, Eric Fisher, Brandon Williams, and Desmond Trufant impressed today.

Quarterbacks
-Another day of flashes and concerns by the North squad’s quarterbacks. The best of the bunch today was clearly Mike Glennon of NC State, however. His timing and velocity on deeper routes really impressed, as he threw some of the best balls of the week today. He got great spin on the ball and delivered dig and out routes with great velocity. His ball placement still was a bit off in the short area today (which is now a bit of a concern after three days with these receivers).

-Syracuse’s Ryan Nassib really needs to improve his deep touch and velocity control. He floats too many balls vertically, but it doesn’t seem to solely rest on his lack of a big arm. He doesn’t have “elite arm strength”, but it’s certainly enough in the NFL and isn’t a weakness in my eyes. However, he needs to get a better understanding for those deep bucket throws. However, he continued to impress in his footwork on shorter routes, a big plus for his game as a potential west coast quarterback.

-Zac Dysert of Miami (OH) continued to overthrow passes today, but I couldn’t quite figure out what his problems were, but it’s concerning that it’s been an issue over the course of the week.

Running Backs
-The best running back of the bunch today was UCLA’s Jonathan Franklin. He looked great in blitz pickup in individual drills and was decisive in his initial cuts as a runner. Also, Kenjon Barner looked great in route running drills, especially utilizing his great wheel route out of the backfield. He’s shown enough in each area as a runner to prove his not just a “speed” back.

Receivers/Tight Ends
-Markus Wheaton again showed why he’s considered the best of the North group. He’s a 3 step guy who consistently eats up cushion quickly and caused most defensive backs to turn their hips sooner than they wanted after selling the fade. His speed is obvious, but one of the concerns I had with Wheaton were the occasional drops he has on film. Today, and for most of the week, he showed exceptional hands plucking away from his body and securing the football through contact. He made two really nice catches today-one was on an out route when he dove to snag a pass low and in front of him using all hands. Another was an acrobatic back shoulder catch in traffic on a seam route just before being blasted by the nickel corner and safety over the top.

-Scouts were still intrigued to see Denard Robinson’s prospects as a receiver convert and were looking for any improvement after a rough first two days here in Mobile but the former QB still looked very raw. He had several drops throughout the day (half of them would’ve been tough catches, regardless). He can be slow to locate and adjust to balls that are slightly off target and did not look comfortable coming back to the ball with hands extended. Overall, he looked like he was counting his steps this week and the pressure of the NFL spotlight on him while he tried a lot of things he’d never done before in college really showed in his play. There’s no doubt he’s got the athletic qualities you look for in the position, but you hope he can improve his hands and route running by the NFL Combine in February. He’s likely limited to the return game early in his career.

-Another impressive day for Marquise Goodwin of Texas. For a smaller, elite speed receiver, he showed consistent speed throughout his routes, able to get vertical in a hurry, and even showed the ability to extend away from his body well. He’s really impressed all week, enough to consider putting more weight than his struggles (partially team related) in 2012.

-Aaron Dobson of Marshall, a favorite of mine the past two years because of his highlight reel catches and production despite poor QB play, showed great routes today, especially along the sideline. His development there is better than I expected, and with his upside and quick feet to pick up speed and drive through contact on the interior, he could be a trendy 2nd round favorite.

-Elon’s Aaron Mellette didn’t show off great foot speed today in drills or in getting separation, and had trouble getting off press. I’m unsure if he has a natural role at the NFL, either inside or out.

Offensive Linemen
-Once again, Central Michigan’s Eric Fisher proved why he’s the top rated prospect at the Senior Bowl in 2013. Tremendously gifted in terms of foot speed, balance in his kick slide and overall redirect skills within a 6’7 frame, Fisher continued to confirm his plus skill set to talent evaluators. What impressed the most today, however, wasn’t in athleticism or range, but rather in finishing strength and overall punch technique. The one area that Fisher can improve upon is his inside anchor, as was exposed by Texas defensive end Alex Okafor, but that should not be unexpected for a player so tall, upright and leanly strapped together. Fisher still has room to add weight and is so athletic that teams have to be salivating over his potential.

-Brian Winters of Kent State had a better day today, showing more comfort inside with his footwork at left guard. Pad level in his pass set and overall bend seems to be an issue with the mauling run blocker, but overall hand strength remains a big-time plus and natural anchor ability is there.

-Wisconsin tackle Ricky Wagner improved his play today, handling the explosive Datone Jones with patient hand usage in his pass set and mirroring technique. Scouts nearby spoke of possibly moving Wagner to the inside, but he appeared more than adequate at right tackle today.

-Speaking of offensive tackles converting to guard, Justin Pugh –who measured in with shorter than ideal arms– kicked inside for reps at left guard today and made the block of the day, pulling out on the perimeter and finishing at the point of attack with an audible clicking of pads. Athletic enough to stay at tackle in a zone scheme, but also able to be an on-the-move guy inside at guard, Justin Pugh has done his best to recover after a disappointing weigh-in.

-Of the guards and centers, Joe Madsen stood out the most in one-on-one drills, sitting patiently in his pass set and resetting properly with his hands to combat the defensive tackle’s counter move. Madsen created absolutely zero movement in the run game and was physically abused by Brandon Williams during 9-on-7’s, but can be a versatile swing guy on the inside for teams in need of depth at both guard and center.

Defensive Linemen
-Kawann Short was a more sudden and explosive guy than Sylvester Williams in drills, showcasing excellent balance, bend and coordination in running through bags, running the arc and changing directions. Developed with his hands, Short flashed a variety of off-the-line arm-over and arm-under short moves, but failed to have a consistent impact due to motor issues. When he comes off the football and engages properly with his hands, Short can be tough to corral; however, Short doesn’t possess a great motor and at times shut it down during the practice.

-Very good initially with his hands and pass rush repertoire, UNC’s Sylvester Williams impressed quite a bit in pit drills and one-on-one’s. Having superior burst and even showing off an inside spin move, Williams defeated just about every blocker he encountered in one-on-ones. Where Williams struggles, involves gap control and extension at the point of attack, as he’s unable to lock his arms out and reset the line of scrimmage. All penetration and upfield burst, Williams has some Jay Ratliff to his game and can only one-gap at the NFL level.

-Last but not least among defensive tackles that impressed today, was Brandon Williams from Missouri Southern. Possessing a prototypical one-technique, “fire hydrant” body type, Williams is as wide as he is tall and capable of creating natural push, leverage and extension at the point of attack. Dropping his weight and leveraging properly, Williams was an animal inside, working his hands to snap his opponent’s back at the point of attack and collapse running lanes. Dominant at times in the practice, Williams walked Syracuse offensive tackle (who was lined up at left guard) back into quarterback Zac Dysert during 11-on-11’s, leading to a missed throw and incompletion. Following this bull rush, Williams and Pugh got into it with one another, exchanging some shoves before having to be separated. While that may seem insignificant, Williams is showing the fighter’s mentality that coaches love at the shade nose tackle position, and this small schooler’s stock can only go up.

-At defensive end, Michael Buchanan proved to be a far more fluid, balanced and explosive moving athlete than the rest of the group, but too often played high and without maintained hand positioning at the point of attack. Buchanan shows glimpses of strong and sudden punches to create movement, but too often his initial punch slides off and he fails to create ideal separation. A project that can be molded into a dangerous edge rusher at the next level, Buchanan needs to land in the right circumstance in order to reach his potential.

-Margus Hunt struggled once again in practice, as a lack of proper timing with his punches and extension led to minimal effect versus the run and the pass. Flashes of off-the-line speed can be seen with physical freak, but Hunt continually popped upright and allowed himself to washed out of the pocket. Hunt’s raw ability, length and weight room strength haven’t translated to the field as I had hoped, and he’ll be facing a serious learning curve at the next level.

-An end that did win with hand usage and proper technique was Alex Okafor. Getting underneath Eric Fisher’s chest plate and putting to use his heavy hands, Okafor walked Fisher back into the quarterback’s lap on multiple occasions during today’s one-on-one’s. Okafor’s early development at defensive tackle, has him prepared for hand fighting at the next level and allowed him to be effective at times, against a much better athlete in Eric Fisher.

Linebackers
-I didn’t get a great look at the linebackers today, but I did notice Kevin Reddick playing with good pad level, and pop to fill the hole. He works well on the interior and in traffic, and he’s really in his element in team drills at either ILB or SLB. Also, Khaseem Greene was closing well in the run game, using good hands and driving well on the interior, better than expected, this week.

Defensive Backs
-Desmond Trufant (Washington) had a great day in all sessions. Starting during one on ones, he was dominant in all types of coverages. Markus Wheaton called out Trufant again and, although Wheaton initially got Trufant’s hips to turn the wrong direction on a post-corner, Trufant did not give up on the play and showed excellent recovery speed (ball was high and off target out of Wheaton’s break). Steelers head coach was watching Trufant closely during the session and challenged him to dominate his remaining matchups. On his next rep against Aaron Dobson, Trufant was initially beat on a quick slant but recovered and made broke up the pass. One area he showed a need for improvement today is in his hand punch in press coverage as he doesn’t quite have the upper body to jolt anyone. But overall, Trufant showed exceptional competitiveness in all aspects. Corners will get beat in the NFL but it’s the ones who continue to compete and improve that succeed. He was clearly the most NFL ready corner this week, not surprising considering his bloodlines.

-USC safety TJ McDonald has had an up and down week and today was no different. On film you see a guy who either flies to make a play on the football or a guy who gets beat because of misdiagnosis or poor angles. This week confirmed that when McDonald anticipates correctly he is in position to make plays but if he misdiagnoses early he lacks the recovery speed to correct mistakes. Today, he took good angles to passes in front of him and showed adequate burst out of breaks. He was also beat on a post he thought was going to be a corner route and couldn’t flip his hips and recover in time to stop the deep touchdown. If recognition is a problem, you’d like to see recovery ability. There is an issue if your last line of defense lacks both.

-UConn cornerback Dwayne Gratz is thick and has obvious natural strength, especially at the line, but he struggled today. He was slow out of breaks and showed only marginal deep speed in downfield coverage. Against double moves, he lacked the foot speed to redirect on the move and gave up too much coverage in man. He may be limited to cover 2 or man under type of schemes.

-Jordan Poyer (Oregon State) had a solid day today but didn’t really do much to wow scouts like he had the past couple of days. He again showed good physicality at the line and as he directed the route with his hands but there were a couple plays in off man coverage he flipped his hips too early to transition and was subject to comeback routes. This was more a matter of discipline and reading his queues properly, which he’s shown to be consistent at on film.

-Also to note from today: Jonathan Cyprien continued his impressive week with fantastic range. It seemed as though most of the quarterbacks knew where he was on 7 vs 7s and stayed away (wisely); Jamar Taylor from Boise State needs to stay tighter and time his breaks better down the field, but has good footwork and closes well in the short area; Will Davis of Utah State continues to impress if he’s facing a single receiver move, and showed off his upside and ceiling. However, his struggles on film and this week with double moves is concerning.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
2013 Senior Bowl: South Wednesday Practice Notes

Written by Eric Galko on Wednesday, 23 January 2013 17:29.

It was a busy day for the Optimum Scouting team, with myself handling the offensive and defensive lines as well as the running backs and linebackers, while Alex Brown and Mark Dulgerian tag-teammed the quarterbacks, receivers, and defensive backs.

We saw EJ Manuel flash more and more, Larry Warford and Lane Johnson dominated, Montori Hughes intrigues, and Shawn Williams among other defensive backs show some ability.

Quarterbacks

-E.J. Manuel experienced a better day of practice, having improved placement down the field, in addition to more decisiveness through his progressional reads. Though a bit mechanical and robotic in his delivery, Manuel does a nice job of maintaining a firm-throwing base with trash around his feet. Very much a work in progress, Manuel possesses plus physical tools and the movement skills to entice teams in the day two range of the draft.

-Landry Jones’ performance fluctuated wildly today, and it’s becoming more apparent that he is in fact, a system quarterback. Slow to process in the post snap phase and often late to pull off of his primary, reset to his number two option and pull the trigger, Jones had multiple bad decisions today in 7-on-7’s and 11-on-11’s. When the throw is accurate, the timing is off, and vice versa for the former Oklahoma Sooner, and I question his presnap awareness at times. Though he struggled at times, Jones also flashed at times, with a few beautifully placed 9-route throws outside the numbers in the vertical game.

-Easily the best quarterback of the group, Tyler Wilson continued to excel in processing post snap information, accessing the full field with his reads and generating velocity with an effortless throwing motion. The best throw of the day, came on a hitch-and-go, where Wilson drove the ball close to 40 yards on a tightened arc, with ideal velocity and placement on the back end. More importantly than making all the throws, however, was Wilson’s internal clock and understanding of when to pull the trigger down the field or work to his check down.

Running Backs
-I was impressed today the most by Stepfan Taylor from Stanford who was probably the best of the bunch in every drill today. He stayed on his feet well through contact, he showed the strength at the point off attack in pass protection drills, and he cuts well and with controlled routes out of the backfield.

-Also of note, I thought Mike Gillislee did an adequate (yet still a work in progress) job in pass protection, but impressed mostly with his decisive steps up and through the hole and at the second level. And, new add Mike James from Miami (FL) showed his 3rd down back ability, holding ground well in pass protection especially well.

Receivers
-For the third day in a row, LaTech’s Quinton Patton was the best receiver on the South squad, and it wasn’t close. He is polished in everything he does and is probably the best receiver at the Senior Bowl. If there was one area he showed room to improve this week it was against strong press coverage. One on play, he was jammed all the way through his route after missing the swat at the line and lacking the upper body strength to recover. Still, there were enough times Patton showed quickness and proper hand countering at the line to think he’ll be more consistent in this are. His best play was against Robert Lester (a mismatch) where he ran a stop and go and tracked a deep pass down the sideline and into the end zone while keeping his feet in bounds.

-Baylor’s Terrence Williams had some nice plays downfield which is where he seems most comfortable in using his frame and body control to track the ball over coverage. On intermediate routes, Williams becomes a bit more ordinary, not showing much route savvy at the top of his breaks and lacking explosiveness out of them as well. He’s a strider who fits as a downfield big play threat.

-Tavarres King had a steady, albeit not spectacular performance today, working back to the throw at the top of his route running and catching the ball cleanly away from his frame. Despite being a one-speed type of receiver, King is very fluid and calculated with his release, setting up each cut and accelerating out with balance.

-LSU’s Russell Shepard was a late add to the Senior Bowl roster, due to an injury to Texas A&M slot receiver Ryan Swope, and competed his tail off during Wednesday’s practice session. Quicker than he is fast, but fairly sudden in the short to intermediate area, Shepard can drive out of his cuts with burst and speed to sustain separation. He’ll need to improve his strength to hold up versus more physical DB’s and keep his balance better through downfield contact, but all in all he fought, competed and gave consistent effort throughout the practice.

-The athletic darling of this tight end group, Vance McDonald does present plus size, physicality and explosiveness to NFL teams. Able to run directly through contact at the top of the route and recover through his cut, McDonald can be brutish when working down the seams. Even showcasing reaction time and ball skills, McDonald made an impressive one-handed snag on a stick route that was thrown well before his break. Wednesday was just another strong outing for the size/speed tight end, and the only concern now should be his ability to extend for low throws, as well as experiencing the occasional focus drop.

-Mychal Rivera also had success in this practice, continuing to showcase the ability to extend for throws away from his frame and complete the catch through contact. Rivera is limited in terms of overall size and girth as a blocker, but has shown more than adequate effort, positioning and willingness to develop further as an end-of-the-line Y. Rivera’s fairly developed route tree should intrigue teams in need of that second or third option at tight end.

Offensive Linemen
-Easily the best tackle on the South roster and maybe outperformed the North’s Eric Fisher, Lane Johnson of Oklahoma showed today why he likely will work his way up to the mid/late first round. The athletic build, laterally balanced athlete showed great hand readjustments, strong hands throughout, and got great extension on the outside. He does reach a bit and his base gets quite wide at times, but he doesn’t lose with it. Combine his play today, this week, his relative inexperience as a tackle, and the versatility to play on the right or left side, Johnson has thoroughly impressed this week.

-Arguably the best lineman overall today on the South roster was Larry Warford of Kentucky. Utilizing great inside hand placement consistently, driving blocks well on the interior, adjusting to a variety of rush moves against him, and getting great push/holding his anchor while extended, Warford impressed today and warranted our pre-week 1st round grade.

-Cal center Brian Schwenke showed to me today that he’s polished in his set up, initial hand placement, and understanding of how defenses want to attack him. However, he’s not a great athlete laterally, struggles with stronger rushers at the point of attack, and can consistently maintain balance after first contact. He needs help on the interior, but he’ll get that in game action.

-Virginia’s Oday Aboushi got work in drills/11 on 11s at both tackle and guard, and flashed and disappointed some. He gets beat with inside rushes (including one devastating inside rip by Lavar Edwards), and has a bad habit of waiting until contact to react to his rusher. Still, he slides well with balance for a tackle, and if he can get his hands more consistently inside (especially at guard), he’ll have NFL success.

-Also of note on the OL: New addition Jordan Mills from Louisiana Tech was active and certainly looking to start a fight today. He plays a bit high, but he did well to hold his ground. That aggressiveness could be a good thing. Xavier Nixon from Florida also shows that good initial step to his kick slide, but doesn’t work back inside.

Defensive Linemen
-The man I was curious to watch today was Ezekial Ansah from BYU. He missed part of individual drills today, unfortunately, so the look wasn’t AS thorough as I wanted, but he still showed some of the concerns he had on film. He needs to react and adjust his body better when engaged by double teams, as he gets rendered useless far too easily. He was inconsistent, especially in team drills, in his ability to adjust his hands and work against the run, with part of the reason just not feeling comfortable with any developed hand-separating moves. He also needs to adjust his rush much quicker when his first move fails, and he seems to just wait for runner/QB as opposed to staying active and winning again. Maybe his most NFL ready skill set is his ability to shoot his hands up and limit the vision of the quarterback, as he batted down a pass today.

-I was surprisingly intrigued by Montori Hughes of Tennessee-Martin today. The small schooler was active and low off the snap nearly every rush, and was getting consistent penetration. He does seem to drive to outside too often and doesn’t seem to have the adjustment to cut back inside, but it seems like more of a technique thing than an inability to do so.

-Georgia’s John Jenkins didn’t show much to me at all today, which is frustrating. He wasn’t generating nearly enough pressure against a single blocker, and wasn’t working upfield while he was exchanging his hands. He showed (in individual drills) the transitions and cuts laterally that should impress for a guy his size, but he doesn’t utilize that in game situations.

-Also to note on the defensive line: Cory Grissom struggled all day, lacking laterally quick moves and had an inability to drive upfield with force. But, he does seem to hold his point of attack well vs. double teams. Everett Dawkins of Florida State has balance concerns, as he struggles to adjust himself on the interior and over-extends himself too often. Lavar Edwards from LSU lacked any consistent burst off the line, but he does have some developed rush moves that could work situationally in the NFL. Malliciah Goodman has fantastic length and looks the part at times, but on the interior, he lets players get inside of him too often.

Linebackers

-The best linebacker of the day was Zaviar Gooden of Missouri, who was active across the field, explosive change of direction, and made three noteworthy plays in coverage, including a tipped pass and an interception. Gooden has a phenomenal build, and his range and burst is great to see. I do worry about his physicality, both on the field and mentally. I’ll be looking into that concern, but it’s not a good question to be raised.

-I thought Chase Thomas from Stanford had a better day today, and showed some ability off the edge (working as a pass rusher mostly today, thankfully), and in using his hands vs. bigger bodies. Myself and Mark Dulgerian agreed that while he lacks great athletic ability and won’t wow in individual work, he’s a “gamer”, and a guy who impresses a lot more when he fits into a scheme.

-Two of the most surprisingly impressive linebackers today were Nico Johnson from Alabama and Vince Williams from Florida State. Johnson isn’t anything impressive in coverage, but with his ability to engage and slip through blocks and his instincts in the run game are impressive enough to warrant possibly a mid to early rounder, despite being a 2-down player. Williams finishes his tackles with great pop, drives well on the interior, and doesn’t shy away from contact. I’m excited to go back and watch more of him after this week.

Defensive Backs

-At safety, J.J. Wilcox has a lot to like physically, with his muscular build, explosive burst to and through the point of attack, ability to drive and close space on routes, and overall ball skills as a former running back. On the flip side, Wilcox also can be inconsistent in reacting to the throw, as he broke early on multiple occasions in practice to create early contact with the receiver. Overall I like the physicality he can bring to the table, but there’s far too much separation between he and the tight end in man coverage situations. Wilcox’s value at the next level could be tremendous if developed properly, and again, he possesses physicality and explosiveness to be a real force against the run. Moreover, Wilcox performed well in special team reps, contributing on the edge as one of the two, jamming cornerbacks on punt return.

-Georgia safety Shawn Williams had a nice day in coverage in one on ones as well as during the team session. He isn’t physically imposing and doesn’t possess any real special qualities but he’s physical and uses his hands very well to direct the route. He will likely need to polish up his hand usage at the next level to prevent interference calls but he showed good route recognition today and made several plays on the ball and in rerouting receivers.

-California’s Marc Anthony made more plays today as one of the more unheralded defensive backs at the Senior Bowl. He’s a guy I will need to go back and watch film on, but there is no doubt he has the athleticism and physicality you like for the position. He had a handful of pass breakups between one on ones and team sessions, but the concerning thing is that they were on plays in front of him in which he seemed to guess the route. There was also a play where he completely guessed on a stop and go and was beat badly. As film shows, he breaks on the ball very quickly (in run support as well) but his instincts and route recognition in coverage are still a question.

-Cornerback Robert Alford (Southeastern Louisiana) had a solid day today, especially in press coverage. He displayed strong hands and did a nice job of countering receivers when they tried to rip or swat him. He played with balance against physical receivers and kept his footing when it looked like he was being handled on top and stayed in his man’s pocket. He showed marginal deep speed and didn’t show great recovery speed when his man had a step on him downfield, but he showed nice short area quickness underneath to stick with double moves/quick hit routes.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
From Scott Wright:

Fresno State S Phillip Thomas showed some sloppy footwork in early drills. Was beat up the field a few times, but seemed to command the middle of the field better when running a cover 2 in the 11-on-11's.

Indeed

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Of the safeties we talked to: Phillip Thomas, Jonathan Cyprien and TJ McDonald. The 1st 2 are looking pretty good. TJ is looking pretty average though.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Of the safeties we talked to: Phillip Thomas, Jonathan Cyprien and TJ McDonald. The 1st 2 are looking pretty good. TJ is looking pretty average though.

I want BETTER than average; but yet, average would be BETTER than what we already have.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Four small-college players to watch from the Senior Bowl

By Pat Kirwan | NFL Insider
January 23, 2013 4:40 pm ET

Phil Savage, the new director of the Senior Bowl, has done a nice job of bringing a wide variety of talent to the 2013 Senior Bowl. What hit home for me today was the brilliant selection of small-college players brought in to compete with the "big boys."

Four of the 10 small-college players here really grabbed my attention this week and leave little doubt they can play in the NFL.

Kyle Juszczyk from Harvard is an ideal H-back/fullback candidate. He has been impressive as a lead blocker on the inside run game and has decleated a number of linebackers in the run drills. He is a fine receiver out of the backfield or as a wing has been excellent all week. He has soft hands, runs good routes and is physical after the catch. The 49ers run a lot of two- and three-tight sets and a number of teams are studying that offense. Juszczyk would be a great fit for that type of offense.

Garrett Gilkey is an offensive guard from Chadron State and he is one physical player that loves to battle in the trenches. Any team interested in a power guard that can move a defensive tackle will be interested in Gilkey. How this guy didn't play for a team like Nebraska or Wisconsin coming out of Chicago is a mystery to me.

Aaron Mellette, a wide receiver from Elon, is a big athletic type that can make a catch over his head and down around his ankles. He demonstrated the ability to go up and get a ball. I don't think he's a true No. 1 wide receiver, but he will be a solid third or fourth.

B.W. Webb is a cornerback from William and Mary that has playing traits like Asante Samuel. He looks like a solid cover two corner with 48 college starts. He holds up well in the man-to-man drills and has good anticipation in his zone drops.

Anytime a game like this can bring small-college players in and they look like they belong it's a major bonus. This is one of the best years in my 23 years at the Senior Bowl.

Top Bottom