Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
These wrs are unremarkable. So are the QBs.

Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington looks good. So does Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Whats your opinion on him CMD? And if you think he is anything like Taylor "makes no plays" Mays then dont bother.

Similarities to Mays: Tall, physical hitter, Personal Fouls/Late Hits.

How he differs: TJ is a coach's son, he supposedly lives in the film room,and he's very cerebral.

I would say TJ is less athlete and more football player than Mays. He was a 3-year starter and 2-year captain at USC. He led the team in tackles (112) this past year which is always a "great" sign of your overall team defense. TJ will know the system and know how to line-up Kiffin's defense. He needs to be more disciplined in hitting but he does a pretty good job of keeping plays in front of him unlike Mays or Gerald Sensabaugh.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
He's not worth a 1st or even a 2nd rounder.

Agree on the 1st but I could see him going mid-to-late 2nd. We pick 50th (I think?) so right around there. Depends on when there is a run on Safeties. The last 2 years were poor for Safeties and there is at least 8 pretty solid ones this year.
Vaccaro, Elam, Reid, the two from Georgia, Tony Jefferson, TJ, and Phillip Thomas. Robert Lester may be in that conversation as well as Bob's guy, Duke Williams. Someone may take a chance on Ray Ray Armstrong.

I'm curious about Georgia State's JJ Wilcox and there was a Safety in the NFLPA game (ex-Georgia player) that McShay is really high on. I'll watch it this week to see who he was talking about.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
David Quessenberry of San Jose state is really intriguing. A tall OT who they have playing inside at guard. He's holding up well.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

How he differs: TJ is a coach's son, he supposedly lives in the film room,and he's very cerebral.

I would say TJ is less athlete and more football player than Mays. He was a 3-year starter and 2-year captain at USC. He led the team in tackles (112) this past year which is always a "great" sign of your overall team defense. TJ will know the system and know how to line-up Kiffin's defense. He needs to be more disciplined in hitting but he does a pretty good job of keeping plays in front of him unlike Mays or Gerald Sensabaugh.

Is he Tim McDonalds kid?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Agree on the 1st but I could see him going mid-to-late 2nd. We pick 50th (I think?) so right around there. Depends on when there is a run on Safeties. The last 2 years were poor for Safeties and there is at least 8 pretty solid ones this year.
Vaccaro, Elam, Reid, the two from Georgia, Tony Jefferson, TJ, and Phillip Thomas. Robert Lester may be in that conversation as well as Bob's guy, Duke Williams. Someone may take a chance on Ray Ray Armstrong.

I'm curious about Georgia State's JJ Wilcox and there was a Safety in the NFLPA game (ex-Georgia player) that McShay is really high on. I'll watch it this week to see who he was talking about.

I hope people don't get me wrong, he'd be an instant upgrade to what we have, but I think we have more pressing needs for the Cowboys for rounds 1 and 2.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I hope people don't get me wrong, he'd be an instant upgrade to what we have, but I think we have more pressing needs for the Cowboys for rounds 1 and 2.

Agreed execpt I'd rather take him at 50 then reach for another David Arkin or a DL just because of need. If there are still good OL and DL there then I definitely want them.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Agreed execpt I'd rather take him at 50 then reach for another David Arkin or a DL just because of need. If there are still good OL and DL there then I definitely want them.

I think there is plenty of good DL we could get at 50 and not reach for an Arkin-type. For defense I'd rather get either Sylvester Williams DT or Williams Gholston in the 3rd maybe for DE.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Yep. Thanks for clearing tha tup. Just what I thought. An instant upgrade to what we already have. Fact is, I'd rather use a 3rd rounder or even a 2nd rounder if it came to it on a McDonald, than to use a 1st round pick on Vaccaro.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Sounds like the scouts didnt think very highly of TJ

What was said?

Not defending TJ but I've been saying this for years..every day after Senior Bowl practices and/or Combine workouts, you will find draft writers who thought Player A had a great day and Player B disappointed and then another few writers who thought Player A stunk and Player B was amazing. Unless a guy just universally stunk up the joint. Then, everyone jumps on that guy.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...onte-kiffin-who-acts-younger-than-his-ag.html

JANUARY 21, 2013

Former USC safety says he'd love another chance to play for Monte Kiffin, who acts younger than his age

Former USC safety T.J. McDonald said he would be more than happy to play for his former coach, Monte Kiffin, again if he got a chance with the Cowboys.

“At this point in my career, I would love to play for anybody,” he said with a smile, “but especially for a coach that I know. I’m very familiar with that defense. I know he’s bringing that defense to Dallas. I know I’d be able to come in there, put my best foot forward, and be able to pick it up right away, and I know he knows that.

“But whether they need a safety or not, we’ll see.”

McDonald said no one should doubt Kiffin’s energy or work ethic at age 72.

“At any point of the day when I got out of class, when I got out of rehab or working out – whatever the case may be – I could go up to that office, and he was going to be in there with the remote in his hand, sitting the same way,” McDonald said.

He said Kiffin acts years younger.

“From the way he dances, I’d give him about 15 years,” McDonald said. “He dances. He does all kinds of stuff. He’s not just a sit-down guy. He gets up in front of the team, does dances, does his James Brown dance that he just loves. He loves it. It’s a lot of fun. We had a great time together.”

McDonald said no one was happy with the way last season went at USC but that the pro game and college game are different.

“He did a great job coaching us,” McDonald said of Kiffin. “I appreciate that. But I think that for him coming back to the pros, he’s going to be able to get back to what he knows, get back to what he loves doing, and I’m happy for him.”

McDonald said he knew Kiffin was going back to the NFL.

“He told me he wasn’t done coaching. He told me he still had more to go,” McDonald said. “Once he told me that, I know he’s a football guy, I know he loves this game, and that man is not going to stop until he wants to.”

McDonald said Kiffin requires his safeties to communicate, read their keys, play fast, stay on top and be fast. "You’ve got to play full speed. No loafs."

McDonald said he meets another Kiffin requirement – being physical.

“He hates guys that are going to turn down hits,” McDonald said. “You’ve got to be as physical as possible.”

-- Carlos Mendez

Twitter @calexmendez

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The part where Kiffin told the scouts to watch more tape on TJ implies that monte thought higher of TJ than the scouts..that's how I took it at Least

Top Bottom