junk

UDFA
Reaction score
He doesn't rush the passer exclusively. He appears to hold screen and safety valve responsibilities. When allowed to go all out he does a good job generating pressure.

Secondly he just started playing and hasn't gotten his man muscles yet. You can tell by his frame he's going to accidentally gain 20 lbs of muscle.

Jason Pierre Paul had 6.5 sacks at Usf and they have a Similar story. Hyper athlete with limited experience but unlimited potential.
How has he just started playing? He's in his fourth year at LSU after a celebrated HS career. JPP didn't play until the playoffs of his junior year in HS and went the CC route

Now the scheme stuff could be likely but it isn't like this guy just found out what football was yesterday

Reaction score
Wait, so now Mingo is being compared to JPP too? How many next JPP's are there in this draft class?

Reaction score
How has he just started playing? He's in his fourth year at LSU after a celebrated HS career. JPP didn't play until the playoffs of his junior year in HS and went the CC route

Now the scheme stuff could be likely but it isn't like this guy just found out what football was yesterday

Do you want to go on ignore?

He started playing as a junior after the coaches saw him be freaky as a track star. He displays a full repertoire of a pass rush moves despite less experience than most players. If the only question is strength and you know he'll add it then I'm sold

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Do you want to go on ignore?

He started playing as a junior after the coaches saw him be freaky as a track star. He displays a full repertoire of a pass rush moves despite less experience than most players. If the only question is strength and you know he'll add it then I'm sold

OK, I like Mingo, I'm just worried about his production. As for the rest of your post, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Edit: Are you talking junior year in HS? He was still nationally ranked as a prospect and has played several years at a major college program.....very unlike JPP.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=3660186

One of the fastest defensive ends in America who is poised for an outstanding junior season ... Exceptional length and quickness makes him a terror on opposing quarterbacks, especially on third down passing situations ... Tremendous leadership qualities who was honored with the Tigers' most prestigious spring award in 2012, the Jimmy Taylor Award for outstanding leadership, effort and performance ... Also recipient of the Mike Miley Leadership Award ... Teams with Sam Montgomery to form arguably the best defensive end tandem in college football ... Has played in 27 career games with five starts ... Ranked among the best in the SEC statistically as a sophomore ... Tallied 81 career tackles, a team-best 20.5 tackles for a loss of 134 yards, 10.5 sacks for a loss of 81 yards, 15 quarterback hurries and three forced fumbles ... One of the Tigers' leaders in the community who has read to school kids and visited children's hospital.

SOPHOMORE SEASON (2011)
One of the SEC's most dominant pass rushers who played in all 14 games with four starts ... Backed up Ken Adams early in the season at defensive end ... A second-team All-SEC selection by the Associated Press ... Led the team and ranked third in the SEC in tackles for loss with 15.0 for 93 yards ... Was second on the squad and finished seventh in the SEC in sacks with 8.0 for 60 yards ... His 15.0 tackles for loss ranked ninth in LSU single-season history, while his 8.0 sacks finished ninth as well in single-season school history ... Totaled 46 tackles on the year with 11 quarterback hurries ... Started against Ole Miss, Arkansas, Georgia and Alabama in the BCS Championship Game ... Team-high 1.5 tackles for loss in the BCS title game ... Set a career high with five quarterback hurries in the SEC Championship Game against Georgia ... Posted a career-high three tackles for a loss and two sacks along with one QB hurry against Arkansas ... Posted three solo tackles, including one sack and 2.0 TFLs at Ole Miss ... Set a career high with eight tackles, one sack and a QB hurry versus Western Kentucky ... Named the SEC Defensive Lineman of the Week after tallying a career-high two sacks for a loss of 21 yards with four total tackles and a QB hurry against Auburn ... Posted four tackles, 1.5 tackles for a loss, one sack and one QB hurry against Kentucky ... Recorded one sack and a forced fumble at Mississippi State ... Productive game against Northwestern State as he recorded three tackles, one TFL, one PBU and one QB hurry.

REDSHIRT FRESHMAN SEASON (2010)
Played 13 games with one start at right defensive end at Auburn
... Racked up 35 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, six pass breakups, four quarterback hurries, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery ... Used his long arms and quickness off the edge to finish second on the team with six PBU's ... Credited with four assisted tackles and two PBUs against Alabama ... Made his first career start at Auburn and picked up two tackles and one QB hurry ... Tallied five tackles with 1.5 sacks and a forced fumble against Tennessee ... Registered two QB hurries, one PBU and two tackles against West Virginia ... Stood out at Vanderbilt with five total tackles, one 11-yard sack and a forced fumble ... Saw his first action as a Tiger in the opener against North Carolina and made his presence known by recording three solo tackles with one tackle for a loss and a fumble recovery.

FRESHMAN SEASON (2009)
Spent his true freshman season on the scout squad ... Redshirted in 2009.

HIGH SCHOOL
A 5A first-team all-state selection who recorded 59 tackles to go with seven tackles and four tackles for losses in helping West Monroe to the state championship game in 2008 ... Added four forced fumbles and recovered seven fumbles in 2008 ... As a junior, tallied 55 tackles to go with six sacks and 12 tackles for loss ... Named all-state in Class 5A as a junior ... A four-star prospect according to Rivals.com and Scout.com ... Rated as the No. 8 linebacker in the country by SuperPrep ... Rated as the No. 6 strong side linebacker by Scout.com ... Rated as the No. 9 outside linebacker by Rivals.com ... A member of the Rivals 250 and Scout 300 ... Rated as the No. 5 best athlete among linebackers by Rivals.com ... Rated as the No. 3 player in the state of Louisiana by SuperPrep ... Ranked as the No. 8 player in the state of Louisiana by Rivals.com ... Rated as the No. 63 overall prospect in the Mobile Press-Register Super Southeast 120 ... Named to the New Orleans Times Picayune Blue Chip List and the Baton Rouge Advocate Super Dozen ... Coached by Don Shows.

Reaction score
Thanks for proving my point that he started as a junior

The fact that both he and jpp started as juniors yet Mingo garnered blue chip status in such a short period of time helps his case.

They both had the same amount of time to get noticed and Mingo did by a national championship contender . And Mingo then had to go against sec competition and still out performed jpp who played in the big east. And it's not like jpp didn't have help George selvie was highly thought of for a little while.

I don't want to start looking up other great players who didn't put up numbers, I know it happens for various reasons. Spread offense, double teams, whatever. Projecting him as a pro I see him as a nightmare. Could you imagine Tyron and Free having to block Ware and Mingo? These types just don't grow on trees

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Thanks for proving my point that he started as a junior

The fact that both he and jpp started as juniors yet Mingo garnered blue chip status in such a short period of time helps his case.

They both had the same amount of time to get noticed and Mingo did by a national championship contender . And Mingo then had to go against sec competition and still out performed jpp who played in the big east. And it's not like jpp didn't have help George selvie was highly thought of for a little while.

I don't want to start looking up other great players who didn't put up numbers, I know it happens for various reasons. Spread offense, double teams, whatever. Projecting him as a pro I see him as a nightmare. Could you imagine Tyron and Free having to block Ware and Mingo? These types just don't grow on trees

I thought you were talking about junior year in college when I first replied.

Like I said, I like him (and Montgomery). I just think he's had longer in a bigger program than JPP so he isn't quite as raw.

Lots of good pass rushers in this draft. I hope Dallas lands one and moves on from Spencer.

Reaction score
I thought you were talking about junior year in college when I first replied.

Like I said, I like him (and Montgomery). I just think he's had longer in a bigger program than JPP so he isn't quite as raw.

Lots of good pass rushers in this draft. I hope Dallas lands one and moves on from Spencer.

Takes a big man to admit he's wrong so props.

The rawness I see with Mingo is more that he can get eaten up inside. And he can't get out of it. But like I said he has this rare frame, he is actually big but he looks anorexic. He's going to put on so much muscle without Losing speed before he's even a pro. Thats why I see him as this raw prospect dripping with potential. And we can get him without having to go 1-15? Tantalizing.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Think Mingo can fill out to be as big and strong as JPP? Because that's what really separates JPP from most pass-rushers. He can fling Tyron Smith around like a rag-doll, and jump over and run around him.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Thoughts on Jarvis Jones?
I'd take him in a heart beat. He'd probably be the first choice if you wanted a pass rusher. I don't think Dallas will be bad enough to get him though. He probably goes top 10.

Jones, Mingo, Montgomery, Moore, Werner, Okafor....lots of good pass rushers if the underclassmen come out.

What do you guys think of Dion Jordan?

Reaction score
7217221.jpg

ny_a_pierre-paul01_400.jpg

Wouldn't you say Mingo has the better college frame?

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Takes a big man to admit he's wrong so props.

The rawness I see with Mingo is more that he can get eaten up inside. And he can't get out of it. But like I said he has this rare frame, he is actually big but he looks anorexic. He's going to put on so much muscle without Losing speed before he's even a pro. Thats why I see him as this raw prospect dripping with potential. And we can get him without having to go 1-15? Tantalizing.

So, I'll throw this out there. I'm not sure what I think about it. I can see both sides.

Draft a pass rusher in 1 and put him on the weak side as it'll be the easier transition. Put Ware on the strong side since he could do it in his sleep.

That prevents you from getting into the draft of feeling like you have to find someone that can be a strong side OLB only and it is an easier transition for the rookie. Teams are going to try to game plan to take Ware aware from rushing the passer anyway and with the way teams are passing, strong and weak aren't as important as they once were.

Obvious cons, you're taking an all time pass rusher and putting him in a position where he is less likely to get pass rush opportunities.

Reaction score
Well I really wouldn't want Mingo setting the edge since that's a waste of a speed guy.
I wouldn't want ware doing it since he's ware.

I would maybe do one of two things.

1. Tag spencer again and run your version of the Giants NASCAR package. We get off the field last week in Atlanta if we had something like that

2. Hybrid 4-3. Ware-rat-Brent-Mingo the line with lee-carter and an open competition for the other spot. I would obviously like spencer back in this scenario here if I could but with the depth at DT and need at other positions you gotta probably let him go and spend on a sure thing guard or safety.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Bjork Werner get with it cmdwork

Thanks. USC's total and complete collapse has taken down some of my enthusiasm this year. Who is Florida State playing?

Supposedly, the Cowboys have attended 3 FSU games so far this year. I'm guessing it's for Werner and/or the other DE, Tank Carradine.

Top Bottom