dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jordan Raanan
ESPN Staff Writer

Eli Manning thought the press conference was a "classy move" by Tony Romo. Thought it was good to end the talk and clear up the speculation.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Hearing parts of it now, I think he'll be playing for another team next year. He said if anything this might have made his competitive drive even stronger. Hope he wins big wherever he goes and makes Jerry and Garrett look like even bigger fools than they are.

No team is going to take on that contract.

Reaction score
There are at least 3 teams that will absorb the contract. Romo makes almost anyone with good coaching an instant contender. Also if you're a coach or GM worried about your job, this is a bandaid that'll save it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
There are at least 3 teams that will absorb the contract. Romo makes almost anyone with good coaching an instant contender. Also if you're a coach or GM worried about your job, this is a bandaid that'll save it.

Eh, he doesn't improve anyone if he cant stay on the field.

But I'm hopeful if he is done here that we get a package of picks for him.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
You don't think we could cut him?

If other teams don't want that contract, why would we?

That depends. If they feel they need the cap space to resign Martin they could decide to cut him after June 1st. Carr will be gone and Tyrone Crawford should be gone too. With that money they could even resign Leary if the wanted too.

My guess is that they trade him and take the entire cap hit next year. With the way they've been drafting lately they could add another premier player to the defense.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think there may be some chance Romo doesn't want to leave Dallas. He'll be 37 next season, he just built a big house here, his family and life is here, he's talked about wanting to win with the Cowboys and how it wouldn't be the same to play elsewhere, etc, etc

Taking all of the above into account, Romo might be willing to restructure his contract and be the back up here.

I think there's a greater chance that once the offseason kicks in and he gets over losing the starting gig in Dallas, he'll probably get the competitive fires going and decide he wants to play elsewhere as a starter but I think that would only be for a few select teams he believes has a chance of going to the SB. I dont believe there's a shot in hell he'd go to a place like Cleveland.

It seems to me the only teams that make sense he'd be willing to go to and would consider Romo are the Broncos, Jets, Vikings & Bears. I suppose there are some scenarios where he could go to the Cardinals, Niners or Rams.

If no team he wants to play for has interest or a deal can't be struck, then what's he going to do, retire? I don't think so, I think he'd be willing to settle in as a back-up player and semi-coach here in Dallas.

I'd put the odds at 5:3 of Romo leaving vs staying with zero chance of retirement.

Reaction score
Vikings gave up a first for glassman Bradford. If romo wants to leave, he'll have the opportunity.

His speech was a bit unnecessary still. Lots of football left to play this season. I don't think we've seen the last of romo magic.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Vikings gave up a first for glassman Bradford. If romo wants to leave, he'll have the opportunity.

His speech was a bit unnecessary still. Lots of football left to play this season. I don't think we've seen the last of romo magic.

I don't think it was unnecessary at all. It takes away a huge distraction. The conversation can now shift back to us winning football games instead of who starts from week to week.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Before stepping aside, Tony Romo asked for a chance to compete

By Darin Gantt | Nov 17, 2016, 14:56 GMT+00:00

Yes, Tony Romo stepped aside with grace and class this week, acknowledging that the Cowboys were Dak Prescott's team to lead at this point.

But before he did, the longtime Cowboys quarterback tried one last comeback, which put the bosses who love him in the hard position of saying no.

Via Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com, Romo went to team officials last week and asked for a chance to compete with Prescott for the starting job in practice, which realistically is the kind of thing that can happen in August but not in November when you’re in the middle of a playoff push.

“Tony’s smart,” executive vice president Stephen Jones said. “He’s very bright. And so when he came out and said it, in the end, I don't think it took him long to see that wouldn't be a great thing for the team. We’ve got a good thing, and no one wants Dak looking over his shoulder.”

So with that, Romo pushed through the stages of grief to what looked like acceptance and acknowledged what an eight-game winning streak made inevitable.

Because their starting quarterback is a rookie, he needs all the snaps he can get to prepare himself for a game, so the idea of splitting practice between him and Romo was a non-starter.

“I think he understands that,” Jones said of Romo. “As a competitor, does he want it? Yes. He wouldn’t be in the NFL if he didn’t have that burning in his belly. He’s dying to get out there. And we talked all offseason, he’s never been this fired up about a team, he couldn’t wait. And now to see it work like he thought it would, and the team doing something special, and to want back in, that’s not selfish. It’s just hard.

“He’s tremendously unselfish, because he understands it.”

Of course, there are more questions to answer down the line, as to how this plays out the rest of this season and offseason. But for now, Romo is playing nice, and taking one for the team they built for him to lead.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just hope he's mentally ready in case he needs to pull a Hostetler later on.

Tough situation for him. Brett Favre always talked about fearing the same thing due to injury because that's how Favre won his starting job in GB to begin with.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I personally would love to see him remain as the back up this season. Then retire next season and come back as the QB coach the next season

If he goes to another team I hope it's the broncos so he has a shot at a SB

I hate the Broncos with a passion but would love to see Romo get a ring and that would be his best shot at it

Just imagine if he somehow ended up there this season and we end up playing him in the SB. It would suck for him to have his only shot at a ring be destroyed by the Cowboys. (Like it has been for the last ten years LOL)

Another scenario would be that we go to and win the SB with Romo as a backup. He gets its ring, but has to live with the knowledge that the team made it all the way to the SB and won it because Romo was not the QB. Thus cementing his legacy of not being able to win when in the post season.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I would love to see Romo end up on the Broncos and get the SB with Ware only to get smoked by Dallas in the big game. I love Romo but not enough to want him to beat Dallas.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
I sure as FUCK don't want him coaching Dak. Teaching him what, how to fucking choke?

I would love to see him coaching Dak. Especially if he can show him how to read a defense. Romo is masterful at that. One of the best to ever QB, at doing that, as a matter of fact.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I would love to see him coaching Dak. Especially if he can show him how to read a defense. Romo is masterful at that. One of the best to ever QB, at doing that, as a matter of fact.

My thoughts exactly

I just don't want him teaching Dak this 8-8 it's ok to lose bullshit

Dak and Zeke don't know any better yet. They still believe they are going to and should win every single game! I don't want Garretts 8-8 losing is ok with me shit to start to creep in

Top Bottom