Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Only way I see Gregory doing anything is if they put him out there at SLB and him rush from there like the Seahags used Bruce Irvin.

OTs will eat him alive otherwise.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So apparently Nick Eatman is saying Gregory will definitely be allowed to play the last two games and the postseason.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Only way I see Gregory doing anything is if they put him out there at SLB and him rush from there like the Seahags used Bruce Irvin.

OTs will eat him alive otherwise.

Did they eat him alive in college? Didn't look like it.

I don't think he can be an everydown DE right now (especially after as much time as he has missed) but as a situational pass rusher on 3rd downs? He could potentially help us there for sure. He has a first step and closing speed none of our other DE's has.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
sigh.....

According to sources, the NFL has informed the Cowboys Randy Gregory will not be allowed to practice on Wednesday. There had been hope the defensive end, who is suspended through Dec. 18, could begin to practice before the penalty ends in hopes of getting close to game ready for the final two games of the regular season.

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Certainly a bizarre situation to say the least. He got a 4 game ban and a 10 game ban, which is 14 games. I thought the rule was a player couldn't practice or play while suspended, so I guess I wonder why the Cowboys thought he was eligible to practice tomorrow, which is two weeks before the ban is over. It had to have been something the league had told them at some point.

And then they get notified he cant practice after all. Just strange.

Reaction score
I'm lost with this guy. Wasn't there an additional suspension as well? Or was it another recent drug test failure? Or am I thinking of McClain?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm lost with this guy. Wasn't there an additional suspension as well? Or was it another recent drug test failure? Or am I thinking of McClain?

There's another rumored suspension for Gregory, but the Cowboys have said the league hasn't told them anything about it yet. Depending on which article/reporter you read/hear, some say Gregory is appealing the newest suspension (which would be for a year) and others say there is no knowledge of another suspension.

McClain was suspended "indefinitely" again in the last week.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I made the mistake of reading some of the Gregory thread on the zzzone.

My thought is that we fans aren't entitled to know everything about these suspensions. The team isn't even supposed to know everything, because that was negotiated into the last CBA -- medical privacy and everything. So the people crying about the league changing its mind, robbing us, etc. need to shut their pie holes.

Bottom line is Gregory made his own bed. Don't want to get popped? Then stop fucking up.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Certainly a bizarre situation to say the least. He got a 4 game ban and a 10 game ban, which is 14 games. I thought the rule was a player couldn't practice or play while suspended, so I guess I wonder why the Cowboys thought he was eligible to practice tomorrow, which is two weeks before the ban is over. It had to have been something the league had told them at some point.

And then they get notified he cant practice after all. Just strange.

They put in for an exception and were denied. Apparently, they felt pretty confident that it would approved and leaked it. What's shitty is the NFL waited until the day before he would have been returning to practice to notify the team it was denied.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
They put in for an exception and were denied. Apparently, they felt pretty confident that it would approved and leaked it. What's shitty is the NFL waited until the day before he would have been returning to practice to notify the team it was denied.

Anyone know what the recourse would be for the league office if jeri said "fuck you, Gregory is playing!" and brought him back anyway?

Iamtdg

Reaction score
And, I meant exemption, not exception. Which is normally pretty much automatic. Not the case here, which makes this even more weird.

Reaction score
If this guy had a real problem, a real addiction like Heroin or some shit like that, then maybe.... MAYBE I could have an ounce of sympathy for him. But it's fucking weed man.

Now, I've said it before and I'll say it again - weed SHOULD be legal. But it isn't. And it's easy as hell not to smoke it. Like, there literally isn't any withdrawals or negative effects on the body in avoiding it. Caffeine is more addictive than weed. Hell, weed isn't even addictive.

This guy is just a fucking dumbass. Throwing away a six figure annually, potentially 7 year annually salary if he reached his potential, career for a recreational drug.

GFY Gregory. I hope you end up worse off than Charles Rogers FFS you useless human being.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And, I meant exemption, not exception. Which is normally pretty much automatic. Not the case here, which makes this even more weird.

Yeah I had read in one of those articles about it that apparently standard protocol on longer term suspensions the past couple years had been the league allowing teams two week exemptions so the guy could practice and then actually be ready to play when the suspension was officially over. Apparently they refused that in this case, for whatever reason.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Maybe in a 3-4 defense, but not a 4-3 where he'd have a lot of coverage responsibility. You'd be wasting his best attribute.

The Seahawks did it with Bruce Irvin.

A lot of Ds are taking these undersized guys and putting them at LB to keep them away from OTs. Not all of them are 3-4 OLBs.

The Falcons have Vic Beasley working as a SAM LB in their 4-3 under defense.

Top Bottom