Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
And your history argument is a laugher. Right next to the 2-TE offense not turning into a trend. The NFL hasn't seen the influx of power forward type TEs the likes that has been produced the past few years. So of course there would have been no need for teams to stack up on 2 TEs to put them both on the field at the same time.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm not saying I want a blocking TE. I don't want a TE at all in two.
That's the whole key. No one is saying "Never run that stupid 12 personnel again." We're saying why use a second on this guy when we've proved that set doesn't work on this team for this coach.

The only excuse I can see is if they think Witten is wearing down and they think this guy is good enough to be his full time replacement in a year or two. Not because Gavin Escobar will suddenly make our 2-TE set take off after six years of mediocrity with other second round TEs.

And as for guards... I doubt we take one anytime soon, but I'd go with Alvin Bailey.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Teams keep trying and it just doesn't work. Even NE had a more prolific offense when they weren't based around two TEs.

3 second round picks in 6 years on a team with major holes.

Like I said, on paper it sounds great, in practice, not so much.

Give me an offense other than NE where this has been prolific.

I have asked u repeatedly about it improving the running game. U keep asking me about other teams passing games.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
You can then forward it to Chip Kelly, Marvin Lews and Bill Belichick

Chip Kelly and Marvin Lewis haven't done shit with a two TE set in the NFL. Again, looks good on paper, let's try it.

Already discussed Belichick.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
That's the whole key. No one is saying "Never run that stupid 12 personnel again." We're saying why use a second on this guy when we've proved that set doesn't work on this team for this coach.

The only excuse I can see is if they think Witten is wearing down and they think this guy is good enough to be his full time replacement in a year or two. Not because Gavin Escobar will suddenly make our 2-TE set take off after six years of mediocrity with other second round TEs.

And as for guards... I doubt we take one anytime soon, but I'd go with Alvin Bailey.

Yep.

I have no issue with 12 sets. You just don't need to invest in a second round pick to run 12 sets and a second round pick could be used to improve your team, more efficiently, in other ways.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
So you think the basis behind the zone-blitz was only the DE and OLB exchanging responsibilities too? <=Theo's argument.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I have asked u repeatedly about it improving the running game. U keep asking me about other teams passing games.

Because for it to be worth investing 3 second round picks in 6 years on it, it better improved your passing game and your whole offense.

That is the argument for it. If you have two good TEs that can block and receive, you can create mismatches because teams have problems countering your personnel. You are a threat to run or pass. You can run a variety of patterns. You can runs screens, play action, etc.

In theory, I agree, it should create mismatches and open up the playbook.

My argument has been quite simply that, historically, that hasn't seemed to work. On paper, it is a great idea.

If you aren't interested in that aspect of it and just want to improve the running game, you can find a blocking TE somewhere other than 2.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't understand how our two te sets didn't work. Did you see our run game last season without them?

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
well after reading and wwatching stuff on williams, he seems like a good fit to replace robinson as the deep threat, 3rd wr who will be a big option in the play action game.

in a nutshell we had an excellent offense in 11, we upgraded costa to frederick, bennett to escobar and robinson to williams. hopefully today we get another lineman and a rb, which would be like upgrading dockery and felix.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
HC Art Briles on Williams:

Baylor head coach Art Briles visited with Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett for about 30 minutes last weekend and said he got the feeling the Cowboys would take him if he was around.

“Dallas got a steal and he got a thrill,” Briles quipped Friday night after the pick. “It’s great for both sides. (Williams) got to go the place he’s always loved and supported and the Cowboys got a great football player and teammate. He’ll be a great professional.”

Briles knows a thing or six about sending receivers to the NFL. Last year, rookies Kendall Wright (Titans) and Josh Gordon (Browns) had successful seasons coming out of Baylor, which also produced Carolina three-year veteran David Gettis. Briles also coached Donnie Avery at Houston and recruited Wes Welker when he was an assistant coach at Texas Tech.

Briles said Williams is as NFL-ready as all of them.

“I think he’s ready, no question. He can jump on the field today and play,” said Briles, who had a quick response when asked to comment on the notion Williams might not have game-breaking speed. “First thing that pops in my mind is that he’s fast enough to have 1,800 yards and the leading receiver in America. Facts don’t lie.”

Williams (6-2, 212) ran a 4.52 at the combine last February. His 1,832 yards led the nation last year, along with 97 catches and 12 touchdowns. A finalist for Biletnikoff Award for the nation’s top receiver, Williams improved his stats every season, including 43 catches for 484 yards as a sophomore and 59 for 957 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2011 with Robert Griffin III as the quarterback.

Earlier in his career, Williams had to wait his turn behind Wright and Gordon and shared some snaps with Lanear Sampson, who could be a late-round pick in this draft. So Williams shouldn’t have a problem learning from guys Bryant and Miles Austin.

“I can be a good bailout person – somebody who can also take the pressure off Dez, Miles and Jason (Witten),” Williams said. “And someone who can just continue to help them stretch out the field and make big catches when I’m called upon. That’s something I think I can really help out with.”

But make no mistake, Williams is certainly excited about teaming up with Bryant.

“That’s somebody that I really like and to get a chance to play besides him means the world to me because now I get to learn from one of the best and somebody who can help me throughout this whole process and bring the best out in me. I’m just ready to go to work and play football now.”

Reaction score
Is the Ogletree/Dwayne Harris/Beasley cluster of players so bad that Williams is considered to fill an important hole/role in the roster?

I'm not an Olgetree fan and I realize that Williams is a different kind of WR than Harris and Beasley, but Harris and Beasley aren't bad. I don't know that upgrading the 3rd WR spot should be much of a priority (particularly if the Cowboys to use more 2 and 3 TE sets).

Apparently Williams is a RKG BPA pick. Nothing wrong with that.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yes, Williams should be a league (or two) above those guys. Not to mention that they are slot guys only where Williams has the size to play outside. If he's not drastically better than those guys, it was a blown pick.

I think it was a combination of him being too good to ignore (was called an early-mid second not too long ago) plus looking forward to letting Miles and his big money go.

Also, if it makes anyone feel better... When the pick was made, the Fan said this was a pure Ciskowski pick and he was elated to get the guy. So it wasn't a Jerry "shiny toy" pick, at least according to them.

Top Bottom