Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Your better argument is going to be a Witten replacement than a two TE set. History is on my side here.

And do you really trust Garrett to be creative enough to make it work?

With a big, athletic target like Escobar, you really don't need to go stir-crazy. And as an added bonus, Romo will have no qualms about throwing the ball to him as he's going to be able to trust him in a hurry. Which he wasn't able to feel with Bennett.

Watch the repoire those 2 will develop. It will be fast and it will be furious. And watch the points pile up.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
And it's not that big of a fallacy. With the 2-TE offense, the defense can't queue into the perfect gameplan before the snap, because they will be busy watching the set up and movement of the offense, trying to determine if it will be a run or a pass. You can open up traps and delayed hand-offs for the RBs. Playaction. You can do pretty much whatever you want.

And having 2 TEs with either being able to beat you up the middle of the field is going to open up a bunch of space for Dez. Then add a hopefully credible #2 in Terrence Williams and the options are limitless.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
With a big, athletic target like Escobar, you really don't need to go stir-crazy. And as an added bonus, Romo will have no qualms about throwing the ball to him as he's going to be able to trust him in a hurry. Which he wasn't able to feel with Bennett.

Watch the repoire those 2 will develop. It will be fast and it will be furious. And watch the points pile up.

Hey, I hope so. Like I said, I think there are multiple things working against this:

1. NE is the only team I know of that has even moderately had success with this after multiple misfires and investing significant resources in it
2. You can name a much longer list of three wide offenses that were much more prolific than any two TE set
3. Garrett hasn't shown an ounce of offensive creativity during his time here.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
And it's not that big of a fallacy. With the 2-TE offense, the defense can't queue into the perfect gameplan before the snap, because they will be busy watching the set up and movement of the offense, trying to determine if it will be a run or a pass. You can open up traps and delayed hand-offs for the RBs. Playaction. You can do pretty much whatever you want.

And having 2 TEs with either being able to beat you up the middle of the field is going to open up a bunch of space for Dez. Then add a hopefully credible #2 in Terrence Williams and the options are limitless.
So what's your excuse for why it hasn't worked yet? That second TE just wasn't exactly the right guy? Now that we have Escobar it's all going to be different?

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
And it's not that big of a fallacy. With the 2-TE offense, the defense can't queue into the perfect gameplan before the snap, because they will be busy watching the set up and movement, trying to determine if it will be a run or a pass. You can open up traps and delayed hand-offs for the RBs. Playaction. You can do pretty much whatever you want.

Yes, I completely understand the theory of the two TE set. I've been debating this with people for years now.

If it is such a potent offense, how come nobody really ever has a prolific offense with this as the base?

Shouldn't it be trending in the league like a 3-4 if it created these great mismatches?

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
So what's your excuse for why it hasn't worked yet? That second TE just wasn't exactly the right guy? Now that we have Escobar it's all going to be different?

And not just in Dallas, but league wide throughout history. That is my biggest argument.

People convince themselves of the benefits in their head.....and they do make sense.....they just don't seem to ever pan out in practice.

Honestly, if I hadn't ever followed football and someone sat down and explained the benefit of the two TE offense, I would expect it to be a league wide staple. It just never really happens.

You can create better mismatches out of a three wide set.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I don't know, junk. I don't know why great coaches like Belichick, Parcells and Jim Harbaugh would believe in it.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I like the Williams pick, hate that they took a TE with a second round pick again.

I'll eat my own dick if he was BPA. He was BPA like fredrickstertostein was BPA at 31.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I like the Williams pick, hate that they took a TE with a second round pick again.

I'll eat my own dick if he was BPA. He was BPA like fredrickstertostein was BPA at 31.

shit you must really be flexible...didn't figure it'd be easy for you to get at that 2 incher

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score

We liked him and sf was going to take him so we took him where we did.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I don't know, junk. I don't know why great coaches like Belichick, Parcells and Jim Harbaugh would believe in it.

I hope I am completely wrong on this and have egg on my face at the end of the year.

Like I said, it seems to be fool's gold in the league. Teams chase it......but it never works out like they think.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
The 9ers have been using the 2 TE offense for the past couple of years with Vernon Davis and Delani Walker and whoops, just drafted Vance McDonald in the 2nd to uprade from Walker.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I hope I am completely wrong on this and have egg on my face at the end of the year.

Like I said, it seems to be fool's gold in the league. Teams chase it......but it never works out like they think.

So in your opinion this wont help the worst are of the team, running the ball?

I think that 12 set with no full back and a big strong center is going to make a huge difference. Huge.

I hope we see some unbalanced looks with both tight ends on the same side and we run out if it. I also hope we bring back the toss out of the 12 set.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score

I already explained why.

Fasano was limited athletically and they struck fool's gold with Bennett; hoping that they could coax pass-catching ability out of him in the mistaken belief that it was just the A&M offense that didn't allow him to showcase his receiving "prowess".

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Plus I don't even think Bennett's heart is in the game. Before he played football at A&M, he tried to enter the NBA draft, but withdrew because he wasn't going to be a 1st round pick.

Top Bottom