junk

UDFA
Reaction score
What TEs has he had to work with? 2, 6th round H-backs and a 2nd rounder on his 3rd team in 3 years, who had to learn how to catch?

Yeah, great sample there, bud.

Now kindly shut...up.

He had Bennett. Another 2nd round pick who was pretty much a waste of space in Dallas other than acting like another tackle. He looked good in NY this year. Also had a year with Fasano, I believe.

When has Garrett showed any creativity or ingenuity? Oh well, maybe he is gone after this year and someone better comes in.

However, answer this question: Who, other than NE, has ever actually made a two TE offense work? And how long, and how many attempts, did it take NE to figure it out?

A great TE is a great weapon. A two TE offense is nothing special.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Bob, WTF are you talking about. Bavaro 2 was a solid enough player, and Marty was picked by Garrett. Both immediately did better as soon as they left there.

Because both were starters, got all the reps and were not the 4th or 5th options on the passing tree when they were in the game, next to a future HOF starting TE.

If either had replaced Witten here, they'd have put up good numbers.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Because both were starters, got all the reps and were not the 4th or 5th options on the passing tree when they were in the game, next to a future HOF starting TE.

If either had replaced Witten here, they'd have put up good numbers.

So, why draft a player in 2 that is the 4th or 5th option in the passing tree?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So they were good enough to start as #1s elsewhere... But here they weren't even good enough to be #2s. In fact they were so bad that we had to let them go and immediately try to find someone better.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

That's the thing that's gotta be addressed. They'll need to make some changes to how the passing game works.

One thing that would help immensely is not having to keep the 2nd TE in as an extra blocker so much, something that happened too often with Bennett because they were covering for the shoddy OL.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score

12 personnel is about way more than receptions for the second tight end.

We have been playing in this set since 04 for gods sake. Why does everyone obsess over this being new.

This will get that spare vickers off the field and maybe off the roster. It creates mismatches. It should give us an advantage in the running game because of the defensive having to matchup.

If we get a physical runner tomorrow like Taylor this is going to be a great weekend.

The niners, skins and eagles all have a front line tight end and all took another tight end today in the 2nd or third.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So they were good enough to start as #1s elsewhere... But here they weren't even good enough to be #2s. In fact they were so bad that we had to let them go and immediately try to find someone better.

Thought they got rid of Fasano because that box of rotini noodles in your pantry was smarter than him.

And they didn't get rid of Bennett, they actually did try to re-sign him. He took the NYG offer because he wanted to be the #1 TE

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

We have been playing in this set since 04 for gods sake. Why does everyone obsess over this being new.

This will get that spare vickers off the field and maybe off the roster. It creates mismatches. It should give us

I bet Vickers gets cut before camp.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
And junk, Martellus came into the NFL raw as hell as a pass receiver, considering how rarely he was thrown to in A&M's offense. A trait that he still struggles with to this day. Which probably explains why he had to hit the streets for the 3rd time in 3 years.

Fasano...JAG

I think not showing your hand with what offense you tend to run before the snap is extremely valuable. Especially for a coordinator who couldn't out-wit a blind man. And speaking of New England, we've been trying too for a long time to find the 2 TEs to make the system work.

This could be our time since Escobar is exponentially more athletic and sure-handed than anyone we've lined up next to Witten in forever.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score

This will get that spare vickers off the field and maybe off the roster. It creates mismatches. It should give us

Yeah, I understand the theory about how the two TE offense creates mismatches.

And, it might, if you had two Wittens. When one of the TEs is basically one dimensional, it really doesn't create any mismatches. Escobar isn't a great blocker (at least at this point)

It isn't new and no one is obsessing about that. We are obsessing about the fact that Dallas keeps throwing second round picks at the position and still can't figure it out. Maybe because it really doesn't create these great mismatches that everyone thinks it does.

A good three WR set is more potent than a good two TE set.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
2, 2nd round picks. 3 now. One of which was a sky in the pie idea.

Escobar is legit and you're gay.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
And junk, Martellus came into the NFL raw as hell as a pass receiver, considering how rarely he was thrown to in A&M's offense. A trait that he still struggles with to this day. Which probably explains why he had to hit the streets for the 3rd time in 3 years.

Fasano...JAG

I think not showing your hand with what offense you tend to run before the snap is extremely valuable. Especially for a coordinator who couldn't out-wit a blind man. And speaking of New England, we've been trying too for a long time to find the 2 TEs to make the system work.

This could be our time since Escobar is exponentially more athletic and sure-handed than anyone we've lined up next to Witten in forever.

And not a great blocker. Listen, I understand all the arguments for it. On paper, it makes sense.

I'm more of a results type of guy and it just hasn't shown to work in the NFL even though teams continually throw resources at it.

Even NE was more potent was a WR based attack than the two TE set.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Witten was not a good blocker his first year either. But he had the frame and the work ethic to become one and he did.

Escobar has the same. Garrett mentioned his Long arms and size today. No reason he can't become an excellent blocker in time either.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Your better argument is going to be a Witten replacement than a two TE set. History is on my side here.

And do you really trust Garrett to be creative enough to make it work?

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
You cried about all the 1st and 2nd round picks we've invested in LBs when we ran the 3-4?

Yes, I'm not dbair. I'm critical of these team when it is deserved. At least, what, 5 of those LBs picked for the 3-4 are still playing.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Yes, I'm not dbair. I'm critical of these team when it is deserved. At least, what, 5 of those LBs picked for the 3-4 are still playing.

The point is. We need the TEs if we are going to continually trot out the 2-TE offense, just like we needed all the LBs if we were going to run a 3-4 defense.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
The point is. We need the TEs if we are going to continually trot out the 2-TE offense, just like we needed all the LBs if we were going to run a 3-4 defense.

And my point is that the two TE set being this great mismatch is a fallacy.

Top Bottom