LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
McCarthy would NEVER allow Rodgers to be blitzed like that without making the defense pay.

Belicek would NEVER allow Brady to be blitzed like that without making the defense pay.

Fox would NEVER allow Manning to be blitzed like that without making the defense pay.

Payton would NEVER allow Bees to be blitzed like that without making the defense pay.

I can go on. I don't want to come across as being conspiracy-minded... but come on... after awhile you have to recognize that this goes beyond just basic run-of-the-mill STUPIDITY, and maybe consider SABOTAGE.

Nobody can be this stupid except on purpose.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
It is pretty damn stupid that the team didn't adjust.

It's almost as if they don't know how to beat the blitz and they've never even practice beating the blitz.

Gruden seemed stunned they wouldn't bring in some protection.

I also think he was passed a little info from his brother that the Skins think Dallas' LBs are aweful in coverage. I can't even remember the number of times he was saying, "keep an eye on Jordan Reed". Sure enough Reed made a clutch play down the stretch against Carter.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Prior to OT, they should not have passed at the goal line after Murray's big run either. Punch it in or at least go play action there. A touchdown on the goal line there probably deflates the Skins enough to the win the game.

THIS ^^^ and the 2nd and 2 in OT is probably what Murray was mad about in the locker room.

Seriously. What kind of fucking idiot f a HC does this? Have the best RB in the league but down on the goal line you opt to pass rather than punch it in, after he did the work to get you all the way down there in the first place.

Reaction score
Second, I firmly believe it was Jones who ordered the coaches to put Romo back in the game.

Damn for real? What other breaking news do you have? I firmly believe OJ will never find the real killers.

Also, this is exactly why Ginger is our coach.

Reaction score
Damn for real? What other breaking news do you have? I firmly believe OJ will never find the real killers.

Also, this is exactly why Ginger is our coach.

:lol

Exactly.

Jason has a lifetime contract because Jerry has no problem visiting the sideline and setting his puppet straight.

Hard to imagine any respectable coach putting up with that.

I mean, you just immasculate your coach right there in front of the players, the fans, and the world.

Here's Jerry... "I gotta go down there and set them straight!"

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Garrett's the HC. He's got to take command of that situation. These games are won and lost on 2nd and goal from the 3 and 2nd and 2 in OT. I'm sorry, it's his ass on the line. And in the post game interview when he was asked about the play call, he threw it right on Linehan. He's a weasel cocksucker and I'm going to have to look at him roam the sidelines for the next 5 years (at least).
Did the same thing on his radio show this morning.

Mark Lane @therealmarklane
Follow
On @1053thefan, Garrett says Linehan had done a great job calling plays up to this point of the season.
9:11 AM - 28 Oct 2014

Did Garrett ever blame the playcaller when he was doing it himself? Nope.

Oh sure, he then talks around and covers every base like he does, saying Linehan has done a really good job, but he's sure to let everyone know it wasn't his fault. Just like when he threw Romo under the bus last year. Smartest guy in the room, y'all.

Reaction score
I would like to read everyone's thoughts:

How do you adjust to the blitz?
Dump offs -- anyone see Murray on dump off run for 20+ yards?

RB screens -- don't remember one, just some smoke screens, one for a TD to Dez and one to Randle that was batted up and almost intercepted.

2-3 TE sets -- split Escobar out wide if you want and if the blitz is coming, shift him in to max protect.

Quick passes to WRs -- I remember a couple of quick passes to Dez (in addition to the smoke screens), but two of them were near the goalline when Weeden was in. Almost all of Williams targets were longer-developing routes.

EDIT: Oh, and RUN THE BALL!!

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You guys simply don't understand coaching.

You see the Redskins max blitzed us.

Simply nothing you can do.

I hope teams don't do that next week because it worked really well against us.

Where do I sign that extension Jerry?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Dump offs -- anyone see Murray on dump off run for 20+ yards?

RB screens -- don't remember one, just some smoke screens, one for a TD to Dez and one to Randle that was batted up and almost intercepted.

2-3 TE sets -- split Escobar out wide if you want and if the blitz is coming, shift him in to max protect.

Quick passes to WRs -- I remember a couple of quick passes to Dez (in addition to the smoke screens), but two of them were near the goalline when Weeden was in. Almost all of Williams targets were longer-developing routes.

Thank you. I knew all of this especially the screens. But why the fuck Garrett doesn't get this? Don't understand why no screens to Dunbar. That one WR screen to Williams worked, why not continue it?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Laz said:
That one WR screen to Williams worked, why not continue it?
Yeah, I always go back to that good run at the end of 2009 when we made a good run to the playoffs. We ran that quick bubble screen all the time. Just like you see every team in football do. We've pretty much completely abandoned that ever since. Why? Especially as physical a runner as Dez is, or even Harris.

Reaction score
All out blitzes you dont beat like other blitzes, especially if a team knows how to do them well. Reminds me of when Zimmer used to run Zero-blitzes with the Cowboys. #1 defense doing that shit.

Two ways i saw teams beat it. Patriots, max protect, only 2 wrs in pass routes. Roll the pocket away from the side the uncovered blitzer is coming from, allowing time for a drag route to get open. Vikings, they had a running back sneak out on a fade route up the middle. LBer was slow to see it and was a huge gain. I am sure there are other ways, but its not as simple as many make it out to be.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
One of my favorite blitz beaters is a TE screen from 12 formation.

You have the Guards let their guys through, RB hits first guy through, TE fakes pass block and then slips behind the 2 Guards. If they blitz 7 you've used 5 guys and the QB against them. If the WR's make their blocks or run their DB off, you now have 2 G and your TE to beat 2 safeties. If they blitz 8 you have 3 vs 1.

Another easy read for our QB on the all out blitz is our best WR. If the CB is pressing, we go back shoulder fade. All or our snaps are out of the shotgun so it's quick throw. If the CB is off, we quick hit the WR and hope he can break that initial tackle. You screen and slant a blitzing team and they eventually back off. If teams try to bracket our big WR with a Safety, you slant and screen away.

To me, it's one of the greatest things about football. They try to take away your strengths, you try to exploit their weaknesses. Garrett, Linehan, and Romo acted like they never saw Haslett's blitz before.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
All out blitzes you dont beat like other blitzes, especially if a team knows how to do them well. Reminds me of when Zimmer used to run Zero-blitzes with the Cowboys. #1 defense doing that shit.

Two ways i saw teams beat it. Patriots, max protect, only 2 wrs in pass routes. Roll the pocket away from the side the uncovered blitzer is coming from, allowing time for a drag route to get open. Vikings, they had a running back sneak out on a fade route up the middle. LBer was slow to see it and was a huge gain. I am sure there are other ways, but its not as simple as many make it out to be.

Actually it is that quite simple. There is a reason why the majority of teams do not max blitz consistently or with as much frequency as last night. Because they would get killed by it. Haslett doesn't even run max blitz with any other team, except the Cowboys. We ran a WR screen with Williams AND IT WORKED yesterday to counteract the max blitz, and then left it alone. In the past a simple RB screen or a dump off to the flats would bust that up. Or even a hot read. You try that max blitz shit against the Packers with Rodgers, and he will hit Jordy on a hot route.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yeah if umm, all out blitzes were sooooo hard to defeat, you would be seeing them alllll the time, every game, every team.

The fact is, when you do blitz like that it is a feast or famine premise - you've left yourself open to big plays selling out to pressure the QB. They used to try this on Aikman, but Norv would cut your eyes out if you kept it up.

The Redskins had nothing to lose so they came with the all out blitz approach, rolled the dice, and won.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
One of my favorite blitz beaters is a TE screen from 12 formation.
I was thinking that, too. A guy like Pablo might be so slow that he doesn't make much, but Hanna has played more this year and has improved his blocking tremendously. He doesn't have great hands but he can catch a screen. And he has great speed for a TE. Why not?

Top Bottom