dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Best QB in football.

Sources: Redskins brass at odds over ending Robert Griffin III era
Dianna Russini and Adam Schefter

High-ranking Washington Redskins front-office officials and coaches want to part ways with quarterback Robert Griffin III, but are meeting resistance from team ownership, according to team and league sources.

The Redskins even have had trade conversations about Griffin with a handful of NFL teams, but have found no interest, and it remains unclear whether ownership would allow Washington to trade him, sources said.

It is becoming increasingly apparent that Griffin has lost his starting quarterback job, and depending on the events and conversations in the coming days, possibly his roster spot. Outside of ownership, there has been a groundswell of support from a strong segment of football people within the organization to change quarterbacks, but there is a question about whether they have the authority to part ways with Griffin, sources said.

Robert Griffin III's time in Washington could be running out as top-ranking Redskins officials are considering trading or releasing the quarterback, according to sources. Thomas B. Shea/Getty Images

Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan was hired this past offseason to rebuild the team, so he looms as a possible X factor in any big personnel decision that involves Griffin as teams trim their rosters from 90 to 53 players over the next week. McCloughan's ability to produce a resolution that all sides can live with now looms large.

One of the main issues now for the Redskins and other teams is Griffin's contract, which is guaranteed for $16.1 million in 2016 for injury only. When the Redskins announced they picked up the fifth-year option in Griffin's contract in April, many expected it to tie him to the franchise through 2016. Instead, it may have the opposite effect.

If Washington plays Griffin this season -- and the NFL still has not cleared him to return to action from a recent concussion -- and he gets injured again, the Redskins cannot cut him until he's cleared to play again. In addition, should Griffin suffer an injury that extends into the 2016 season, his $16.1 million salary for next season is guaranteed. That could also scare off some teams interested in trading for Griffin.

Even if ownership prevails and convinces the Redskins' front office to keep Griffin, he is not expected to hold on to his starting quarterback job. The Redskins are determined to start a different quarterback on opening day against the Miami Dolphins, and Griffin's time as the starter now appears over. The more significant question is whether his time in Washington is as well.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, the Redskins trade 3 firsts and a second to move up a few spots to get the great RGknee

He's about to get coach #2 KO'd and his team is pretty much the laughingstock of the NFL

Hating the Foreskins never gets old.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
But it's not like Cousins is any much better. He didn't show it yesterday against the Ravens' starters. But as soon as the starters went out, he then in typical fashion, started lighting up the scrubs. And let's not forget... Gruden benched him last year as well.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Cousins blows. I thought they figured that out last year. Or was it two years ago.

I'm still not sure Gruden knows what he's doing.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He looks lost out there.

Harbaugh screaming at him and all he could do was stare back.

Seriously. I don't follow the Skins whatsoever, don't live near there or know any of their fans, so the only time I hear anything about them is on national talk radio or NFLN or something like that. But it seems like all the talk is about RG3's drama, whether he can play, etc. I never hear any discussion about whether this first-time head coach whose claim to fame was coaching an arena team and making Andy Dalton and AJ Green into a decent offense has completely mismanaged the situation.

Sometimes I wonder if Gruden doesn't like the RG3 debate because it distracts from his own performance. If he can make RG3 the scapegoat for everything, it takes the heat off him.

Reaction score
Outside of him embarrassing us his rookie year, you really couldn't have scripted a better ending to the RG3 story in Washington.

And to think, some people thought he was better than Luck.

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I'd give Griffin a look. Bring him in as a backup and let him get totally healthy and learn the offense for a couple of seasons. What do you have to lose? Weeden puts the age in garbage. He would have to buy in to sitting while Romo finished his career, and his pocketbook would have to be significantly lighter. He would probably never do that.

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I'd give Griffin a look. Bring him in as a backup and let him get totally healthy and learn the offense for a couple of seasons. What do you have to lose? Weeden puts the age in garbage. He would have to buy in to sitting while Romo finished his career, and his pocketbook would have to be significantly lighter. He would probably never do that.

That's not at all crazy. I think it'd be a very good move, assuming it could happen for a price that didn't screw up the salary cap.

It seems pretty clear that Griffin needs a change of scenery. A better OL, better receivers, better running game might just help him develop into a better player. And it isn't like Weeden is an asset.

I was hoping they'd keep RG3 & Cousins and cut McCoy.

Yeah, well, now that you mention it, McCoy is likely an upgrade too.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
good. he's a guy who can carry you for a month, not the whole season.

Top Bottom