sbk92

Reaction score
Its the damn internet, people can go where they wanna go. Sites dont "own" you.

And like I said, some people dont solely stay at one site. Hell alot of people join sites and never post.

If people started coming here to recruit members, I doubt the owners of this site would like it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If people started coming here to recruit members, I doubt the owners of this site would like it.

I dont care if they like it or not. I dont see the issue. This aint f'in North Korea.

Its like telling your friends about a new restaurant or something IMO.

sbk92

Reaction score
I dont care if they like it or not. I dont see the issue. This aint f'in North Korea.

Its like telling your friends about a new restaurant or something IMO.

Walk into any restaurant and hand out flyers for another restaurant. See what management thinks of that practice.

It's just bad board etiquette. If someone visits your forums to recruit members for another, the guy deserves to be banned.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Walk into any restaurant and hand out flyers for another restaurant. See what management thinks of that practice.

It's just bad board etiquette. If someone visits your forums to recruit members for another, the guy deserves to be banned.

Whats to say they dont find the website on their own anyway.

Again these forums dont "own" people. They are visiting a website.

I'd agree that if someone signs up here for the sole reason of sending out messages to leave and come somewhere else, thats probably not right.

But if they are regular contributors, run into another site they think is interesting. Sending a message telling someone that shouldnt be a big deal.

Reaction score

Gotta agree.

sbk92

Reaction score
It's competitive. I know what it's like running a forum like this and trying to build a decent core membership base.

Now when you're just starting up like this one, you almost have to do it. But I think you should expect to get banned from those boards if you get caught, is all I'm saying.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It's competitive. I know what it's like running a forum like this and trying to build a decent core membership base.

Now when you're just starting up like this one, you almost have to do it. But I think you should expect to get banned from those boards if you get caught, is all I'm saying.

Well shit, thanks for the support!

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score

That's why you sidle up to customers and whisper sweet nothings in their ears, DUH!

Reaction score
Restaraunts make money. This forum doesn't. I guess Reality, EZ, and that guy that owns C-F would get offended, because they seek "donations."

I can see both sides of the argument. I stopped giving a shit about sending invites to other forums years ago. It's like Dbair said, if a member is a regular contributor, and he sends out an invite, then thats fine. But if a guy registers and does nothing but send PM's or advertise his site, then that's another thing altogether.

Might be splitting hairs.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Restaraunts make money. This forum doesn't. I guess Reality, EZ, and that guy that owns C-F would get offended, because they seek "donations."

I can see both sides of the argument. I stopped giving a shit about sending invites to other forums years ago. It's like Dbair said, if a member is a regular contributor, and he sends out an invite, then thats fine. But if a guy registers and does nothing but send PM's or advertise his site, then that's another thing altogether.

Might be splitting hairs.

Reality does make money off that site though. He advertises now and one day I tried asking how much he makes from CZ my post got deleted lol.

Reaction score
Reality does make money off that site though. He advertises now and one day I tried asking how much he makes from CZ my post got deleted lol.

I'm sure DCC and Cowboys-Forum make money as well. There's nothing wrong with that. As site owner, you're providing a service that others obviously enjoy. If they feel compelled to donate, so be it.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I doubt EZ makes money, maybe enough to help cover some cost, but he isn't making enough to buy a case of beer every month. I don't see it.

My best guess is CZ rakes in probably 5K a year in donations based off of the minimum amount you can donate through paypal. Who knows how much advertising brings in. They haven't upgraded vbulletin in years, so I'm guessing that place costs about $1,200-$1,500 a year to keep hosted and current with vbulletin.

CF probably brings in 3 times that annually. Skeety charges his members for different packages that don't cost him anything to provide. Plus, that place is like a sales ad in the Sunday paper with all that advertising.

This place costs next to nothing to run.

Reaction score
DCC has advertisements all over the forum, to include the first post in every thread. I'm sure EZ makes some money off of that.

At least he's not relying on the "Need some donations or we're gonna have to close the forum" threads every 6 months or so.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
One more thing. . .

The best thing any of you could do to help this site is to use it. I can afford the bill, but it makes it worth it when we see that it's being put to good use.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
DCC has advertisements all over the forum, to include the first post in every thread. I'm sure EZ makes some money off of that.

At least he's not relying on the "Need some donations or we're gonna have to close the forum" threads every 6 months or so.

Maybe you're right, I'm not sure what the return is on those.

Top Bottom