Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
So much time studying yet still a fucking ******.

Hey do me a favor... Prop McGee again based on some obscure stats that clearly mean nothing then tear Tony Romo down despite basically owning every Cowboys passing record and who's right behind Aaron Rodgers in efficiency rating just because he wasn't drafted and sat on the bench his first three years. Mmmm'kay?

Just put on your fucking paper hat and go to work, okay? I'm sure there are already people waiting for you to hand them their McMuffin....if you are even that far up the organizational chart.

And please don't use statistics again, its just sad when you try any type of analytical reasoning, I can't help but feel entirely justified in asking the government for a total refund on any money spent on education.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You are talking about the speed of his arm motion in releasing the ball and I'm 100% skeptical.

Romo's release has been compared to Marino and an analysis was done a few years ago when Romo became the starter and Romo's was actually quicker. In any event, you must be the first Cowboys fan I've read that actually questions that facet of Romo's game.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I never talk out of my ass, I do my homework. You can disagree in whatever style you wish, but give me that. I do my homework.

Sorry, I can't give you that at all because your opinion on Romo is not based on any stats or doing your homework, nor is your man love for Garrett. You're completely talking out your ass.

I use some very reputable sources to get information, NFL Reference, Football Outsiders collect some very unique stats that are far more informative when it comes to what is really happening on the field. I told you, I am obsessive.

I've asked before and I'll ask again; can you use those references you mentioned to give us some stats that will put your opinion regarding Romo in some perspective?

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Although I haven't stopped to count them I've watched every Cowboys game I could including whatever playoff and SB game.
Just means there's several thousand hours I'll never get back.
I can however tell you a couch is far more comfortable than a futon.
You're not an expert Statman,get over yourself.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Although I haven't stopped to count them I've watched every Cowboys game I could including whatever playoff and SB game.
Just means there's several thousand hours I'll never get back.
I can however tell you a couch is far more comfortable than a futon.
You're not an expert Statman,get over yourself.

This read kinda like a Haiku. Props.

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Sorry, I can't give you that at all because your opinion on Romo is not based on any stats or doing your homework, nor is your man love for Garrett. You're completely talking out your ass.

I've asked before and I'll ask again; can you use those references you mentioned to give us some stats that will put your opinion regarding Romo in some perspective?

Trent Dilfer mentioned Romo's fast release once in terms of the quickness of motion in delivering the pass. I made it very clear that I was talking in terms of decision making, i. e. the time from when the ball is snapped to when the pass is made. He has constantly been cited for holding onto the ball too long and creating sacks from his uncertainty.

The other criticism stems from critical points in elimination games such as regular season game #16 when it can eliminate the team from the playoffs and his overall performance in the playoffs.

Player Game Finder Query Results | Pro-Football-Reference.com

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Film Room: Tony Romo

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Quarterback Postseason Drive Stats

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Quarterbacks and Salary

Fast releases for Peyton Manning, Tom Brady have propelled their NFL careers - The Denver Post

B/R NFL 1000: Top 65 Quarterbacks | Bleacher Report

Is Tony Romo a choker? NFL as college football playoff, replay reviews | The MMQB with Peter King

I made it very clear and precise as to why I think Jason Garrett is a great coach and will continue to get better, including a comparison between his record and several prominent Head Coaches. I also compared his record to prominent head Coaches in their first years as NFL Head Coaches.

Reaction score
As of the time of this post, I've been alive 1,120,391,205 seconds. I've counted them all.

Reaction score
FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Film Room: Tony Romo

I made it very clear and precise as to why I think Jason Garrett is a great coach and will continue to get better, including a comparison between his record and several prominent Head Coaches. I also compared his record to prominent head Coaches in their first years as NFL Head Coaches.

Missed this part didya?

The Cowboys' game-planning and play-calling has been amateurish this season. In fact, most amateurs would understand how short-sighted the Cowboys have been with their offense. Instead of trying to build a balanced offensive attack with the tools at their disposal, Jason Garrett and Bill Callahan have repeatedly asked Romo and his receivers to do too much.

Reaction score
I made it very clear that I was talking in terms of decision making, i. e. the time from when the ball is snapped to when the pass is made.
Your first post regarding Romo's release, literally said, "he has no quick release." So no, you didn't make it very clear that you were talking about decision making.

Even if you are talking about decision making, that's a very subjective position to take. How can you know what his decision making process is? You don't know if he passes up open guys more often than other QBs or what his read progression is on each play.

This sounds like a spin out of a stupid statement.

He has constantly been cited for holding onto the ball too long and creating sacks from his uncertainty.

He has also been "cited" for holding on to the ball and making spectacular plays downfield because of it. He doesn't panic when the play breaks down. That's a trait that most QBs don't have. Personally, I love that he can make something out of nothing. Sure he may take a sack after running around, but he can also make plays that many other QBs would just take a sack on.

Oh, and Romo actually gets rid of the ball faster than most. In 2012, Pro Football Focus did a chart of how often QBs get rid of the ball in 2.5 seconds or less. Romo gets rid of it in 2.5 seconds or less in 52.8% of his dropbacks, which is the 12th highest percentage in the league.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Wait a minute. Romo has one of the fastest releases in the game. Is someone seriously trying to argue otherwise? I refuse to read all of those words.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
You are talking about the speed of his arm motion in releasing the ball and I'm 100% skeptical. there was one reference to this on ESPN but, for the most part, his name is not mentioned regarding fast releases.

I'm talking about deciding where the ball is going and getting it out of there. He wouldn't have to run around and wear down his offensive line if he made his decision quickly and had the ability to deliver the ball in close quarters.

In order to get rid of the ball that quickly. Shouldn't you be able to process beforehand where you want to go with the ball before you release it?

It's only logical.

And regards to Romo's scrambling; he wasn't doing it because he was thinking, 'omg, omg, where am I going to go with the football?!!'. No, it had more to do with no one being open; either from the route tree being too long or not having many receivers capable of gaining release.

A lot of it has to do with the scheme where Romo is waiting on receivers to get open deep because that's what the play usually calls for.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Also one of Romo's biggest strengths is keeping his eyes upfield when he's scrambling with the football. That is a trait that very few QBs possess.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I made it very clear that I was talking in terms of decision making, i. e. the time from when the ball is snapped to when the pass is made.

Really? Then what did you mean when you said the below quote? I don't think you know what you're talking about.

You are talking about the speed of his arm motion in releasing the ball and I'm 100% skeptical. there was one reference to this on ESPN but, for the most part, his name is not mentioned regarding fast releases.

Are you trolling me in this thread? Are you just posting links thinking/hoping people won't look at them? From your own link:

That was the beauty of this game. It wasn't decided by Romo or his decisions late in the fourth quarter. It was decided by two franchises that carry completely different cultures, that are the polar opposites in how they build their teams and that have enjoyed completely different levels of success in recent times.

Even without Aaron Rodgers, the Packers were able to come away with a victory because of high-quality coaching.

With Romo, the Cowboys coaching staff looked lost. Save for Dez Bryant, Tyron Smith and DeMarco Murray, players whose impacts were hindered by that coaching staff, nobody on the Cowboys roster did anything to alleviate the pressure on their quarterback.

This game was a clash of cultures that showed off why quarterback wins is a very flawed statistic. We didn't get another rope to hang Romo with, we got another example of why the Cowboys will continue to lose so long as Jerry Jones is the owner/general manager and this kind of coaching continues in Dallas.

The Cowboys' game-planning and play-calling has been amateurish this season. In fact, most amateurs would understand how short-sighted the Cowboys have been with their offense.
Instead of trying to build a balanced offensive attack with the tools at their disposal, Jason Garrett and Bill Callahan have repeatedly asked Romo and his receivers to do too much. Romo has attempted at least 36 passes in eight of his 14 starts this season. Five of those eight games saw him throw the ball at least 40 times. This is a team with the second-ranked offensive rushing DVOA along with the 30th ranked defensive DVOA and 31st ranked defensive weighted DVOA. The Cowboys have neglected the run all season long in spite of the fact that it would ease the pressure on their quarterback and their ailing defense.

You don't fucking say. Your source calls Garrett an amateur. In addition, the final bolded part is exactly what we did the following season when Garrett was neutered and removed of his play calling duties.

Romo was at fault for this loss to a much lesser degree than the Cowboys' coaching staff

I use some very reputable sources to get information, NFL Reference, Football Outsiders collect some very unique stats that are far more informative when it comes to what is really happening on the field. I told you, I am obsessive.

Statman, you're a fucking dolt. These reputable sources that you use are telling you all you need to know about Garrett and even Romo. Be a bit more obsessive, listen to your reputable sources and educate yourself.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This sounds like a spin out of a stupid statement.

If it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck.....

He has also been "cited" for holding on to the ball and making spectacular plays downfield because of it. He doesn't panic when the play breaks down. That's a trait that most QBs don't have. Personally, I love that he can make something out of nothing. Sure he may take a sack after running around, but he can also make plays that many other QBs would just take a sack on.

Oh, and Romo actually gets rid of the ball faster than most. In 2012, Pro Football Focus did a chart of how often QBs get rid of the ball in 2.5 seconds or less. Romo gets rid of it in 2.5 seconds or less in 52.8% of his dropbacks, which is the 12th highest percentage in the league.

Owned......Nice post Pep.

Top Bottom