Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I can understand the younger fans acting like they don't care about Cowboy history. If you weren't a fan before 1996 then what you've witnessed so far adds very little to their great history.

However, when the Cowboys get to another Super Bowl soon young fans won't hesitate to declare Romo among the cowboy's greatest quarterbacks. In order to accomplish this, they will have to know a little about the subject.

Don't get me wrong, this present team is every bit much mine too, its just that my years give them the proper perspective.

This present team over the previous ten years don't come close to even the late 60's teams with Don Meredith and the early 80's team with Danny White.

The late 60's team played in the NFL championship games where the winner went to Super Bowls I and II. They lost both games on the last play. But they played in those games.

The early 80's team played in three consecutive NFC championship games. How many NFC championship games have they played in this century?

Some have sought to compare Romo with Staubach and Aikman. Until he can lead this team to a conference title game, they'll have to settle for comparing him to Meredith and White.

That goes for his teammates as well. It's all about playing in the big games and division games only get you there....when you win.

But don't worry, those are coming very soon.

Reaction score
Doomsday said:
I didn't say he choked anything.

You didn't? Oh... YOU didn't say he did. Just that mostly everyone else agreed he did. K.

there's a large group of people who think Danny White choked those.

Doomsday said:
You've moved the goal posts, you WERE talking about NFC title games, now it's Super Bowls.

No dumbass. Read again:

Midswat said:
Midswat;377158]Besides they mostly choked in big games anyways.
Wait so they didn't lose a bunch of NFC title games and have a losing record in super bowls?

Couple of things....

-- When I say I never watched them, I'm suggesting that week in week out I didn't watch them play, thus forming an allegiance to the team or players. This is largely because I either wasn't born yet, or too young and disinterested in the football. However I've watched countless shows covering the history of the team and/or individual games.

-- You don't need to be an eye witness to something to understand what took place. I watched the Challenger explosion when I was maybe 6 years old. But even if I didn't see it live and only say the replay.... Guess what, I would still be able to figure out the fucking thing exploded.

-- Sorry not sorry you're so up in arms I referred to as your group of relics as chokers. Maybe not each game was a choke. A number of the ones I mentioned were, so we'll have to agree to disagree there. Let me rephrase my statement: Those early Cowboys were really really really really really really good at coming up short in big games. Lovable losers apparently.

But hey, GO COWBOYS!!!

Last edited:

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I can understand the younger fans acting like they don't care about Cowboy history. If you weren't a fan before 1996 then what you've witnessed so far adds very little to their great history.

However, when the Cowboys get to another Super Bowl soon young fans won't hesitate to declare Romo among the cowboy's greatest quarterbacks. In order to accomplish this, they will have to know a little about the subject.

Don't get me wrong, this present team is every bit much mine too, its just that my years give them the proper perspective.

This present team over the previous ten years don't come close to even the late 60's teams with Don Meredith and the early 80's team with Danny White.

Well, yeah, I should hope not. Two playoff appearances versus an era where it was a disaster if they didn't win the NFC East is hardly a relevant comparison.

I do get a chuckle out of some fans who laud the team's rich tradition, then talk out of the other side of their ass as they get all excited that we are "back". No, the Cowboys are "back" if they do what say the Patriots, Packers or Ravens have done in the last 10 years.

I saw the 1970s-early 1980s era Cowboys. I saw the early 1990s. Saw them all.

That is why I find it hard to get super duper stoked for what is a blip on the radar for now.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is a true story. It was over 40 years ago, that's how long I've been a fan. Not to say length measures anything as a fan, I've met 16 year olds that are as die hard as any.

Then I appreciate your story and apologize for your mother's loss, especially at such a young age.

Not trying to push Garrett, his results will speak for themselves when all is said and done....and I'll be on the right side so, very much appreciate the condolences but fuck you too.

None of the "stats" associated with a successful HC play in Garrett's favor after 4 years. You overlook the run/pass ratio, the .500 seasons, the blown games, the blown win or go home games, and so on. Your love for Garrett is not grounded in any real tangible evidence that points to all the things you claim. And you have a bad habit of interjecting Garrett into your "how I became a fan" thread for no reason whatsoever.

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Then I appreciate your story and apologize for your mother's loss, especially at such a young age.

None of the "stats" associated with a successful HC play in Garrett's favor after 4 years. You overlook the run/pass ratio, the .500 seasons, the blown games, the blown win or go home games, and so on. Your love for Garrett is not grounded in any real tangible evidence that points to all the things you claim. And you have a bad habit of interjecting Garrett into your "how I became a fan" thread for no reason whatsoever.

Not necessary to apologize, just guys talking football....

Here is a stat.....41-31....a winning percentage of 56.9%.....same as Bill Parcells....better then Chuck Knoll, Jimmy Johnson, Marv Levy, Jon Gruden, Dan Reeves, Dick Vermiel, to name a few.

I realize I'm going against some of the more knowledgeable guys on this forum, but we just aren't seeing some of the same things. I'm seeing almost a complete rebuilding process while trying to escape cap hell without a losing season. I see a team that was in the hunt almost every year at game #16.

I see a guy that told us exactly how he was going top build this team and pretty much doing it the way he described. I see a guy bringing back competition, giving everybody a chance, demanding accountability, and stressing preparation as the means to succeed.

Be advised, I am copying a lot of these comments. You will see them again at the end of this year and next.

What game did Jason Garrett blow?

Last edited:

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here is a stat.....41-31....a winning percentage of 56.9%.....same as Bill Parcells....better then Chuck Knoll, Jimmy Johnson, Marv Levy, Jon Gruden, Dan Reeves, Dick Vermiel, to name a few.

The coaches you mentioned rebuilt their teams. Chuck Knoll drafted Bradshaw and went through the growing pains. Same with most of those coaches you mentioned. Building a team in today's NFL (and even back then) meant finding a QB. This is a luxury Garrett had. He had a QB in his prime. Vermeil lucked into Kurt Warner but he knew what to do with him when he found him. He also had to trade for Trent Green before warner. Johnson had to draft and develop his QB and built a team from the ground up. parcells had to draft Simms and won a SB with Hostetler. He used a converted safety to play QB in NY before testaverde and then had to find a QB in NE. Stop with this BS already.....

No matter how many times you say it, it's just not the same and comparing Garrett to any of these coaches who had to build their team from the ground up does nothing for your argument. The one constant with all these coaches you mentioned is that they had to find and develop the most important position on the field to be successful. Garrett did not but he most certainly will before he gets fired in Dallas. This dolt thought Stephen McGee was a guy he could develop and kept him on the roster.

I realize I'm going against some of the more knowledgeable guys on this forum, but we just aren't seeing some of the same things. I'm seeing almost a complete rebuilding process while trying to escape cap hell without a losing season. I see a team that was in the hunt almost every year at game #16.

"Almost" is the key word. He had a franchise QB and couldn't build a defense or an offensive system around him to maximize his potential.

I see a guy that told us exactly how he was going top build this team and pretty much doing it the way he described. I see a guy bringing back competition, giving everybody a chance, demanding accountability, and stressing preparation as the means to succeed.

And tell me how this is unique to Jason Garrett? These are NFL quality HC's, many of whom had a ton more experience than Garrett and were even successful in previous stops. They all try to find the RKG, demand accountability, stress fundamentals/preparation, etc.

And Garrett never told anyone how he was going to build this team except for the RKG bullshit and coachisms that he kept repeating over and over. I have read however numerous quotes by Jerry where he was telling folks back when Garrett was a new HC that we had to run the ball more. That we had to get Felix more involved. The day we drafted Escobar Jerry mentioned, in effect, that we'd better use him. I took that to mean Garrett was not using the personnel that Jerry was drafting for the running game. It's all out there if people just listen to what's being said and stop making up busllshit fantasies.

Last edited:

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
the Green Bay game two years ago, when he became pass happy with a big lead. then there was freezing the kicker in Arizona ...

Detroit in 2011 (?). And repeated piss poor clock management to end the half of numerous games only to give the ball back to the opposing team instead of going into half-time with some momentum. He's a coaching dolt.....

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It's all out there if people just listen to what's being said and stop making up busllshit fantasies.
I'm 99% sure Stat is a troll who patterns himself after a certain someone, but just for the smell of it...

That's really the bottom line on all the Garrett fantasy. If people actually pay attention to what's happening and are objective about things, they see that the Garrett excuses are total bullshit. Back in 2010 and 2011, no one claimed this team needed to be rebuilt. It had talent all over the place, especially as you say at QB -- which is why we were picked by many to be the first team to play a Superbowl in its home stadium. The story then was that Phillips was so horrible that he'd poisoned this incredibly talented roster. Garrett was the guy who would restore order and discipline and would win immediately. When we started 7-4 in 2011, not one fan was saying, "Guys, don't buy this mirage, this roster is awful and we're about to go on a losing streak." Not one. It was just the opposite. Of course we finished 1-4 to miss the playoffs in almost impossible fashion, no thanks to Next Landry's horrendous management.

It's only in the hindsight of consecutive incredible choke jobs that the Garrett fanboys changed their story to claim that those were barren rosters that had to be rebuilt, and that it was some kind of great coaching job to get them to 8-8. :lol

I'd love to see Garrett take over a true rebuilding job like Tennessee or Jacksonville or Oakland. Go to a place with no talent and especially no QB -- not to mention no owner who will give you an incredibly long leash because your dad was an old employee and friend -- and you'll see how laughable an excuse for "coaching" your seventh grade cliches are.

Last edited:

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I absolutely agree that Jason's greatest flaw was a failure to properly develop a running attack and balance throughout the game while he was a coordinator.

However, you must have noticed that as an interim Head Coach, the Cowboys were completely balanced, 250 pass attempts, 259 runs. In fact, in the last 8 games of 2010, the Cowboys ran the 4th most in the league. So when did he fail to run the ball as a Head Coach?

The following year he ran the ball more often than he passed in the first four games and in the fifth game he passed 31 times ran 29 times, a five game winning streak.

The next five games they faces some if the best run defenses in the league, the Jets, Patriots, and Giants. After the Giants game they list rookie DeMarco Murray for the season.

To this day McGee his the best passer rating in the last two minutes if regular seasons games this century.

McGee never once threw an INT in regulation play. Only one other quarterback since 1970 didn't throw an INT in his first 81 passes.....Tom Brady.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Back in 2010 and 2011, no one claimed this team needed to be rebuilt. It had talent all over the place, especially as you say at QB -- which is why we were picked by many to be the first team to play a Superbowl in its home stadium. The story then was that Phillips was so horrible that he'd poisoned this incredibly talented roster. Garrett was the guy who would restore order and discipline and would win immediately. When we started 7-4 in 2011, not one fan was saying, "Guys, don't buy this mirage, this roster is awful and we're about to go on a losing streak." Not one. It was just the opposite. Of course we finished 1-4 to miss the playoffs in almost impossible fashion, no thanks to Next Landry's horrendous management.

It's only in the hindsight of consecutive incredible choke jobs that the Garrett fanboys changed their story to claim that those were barren rosters that had to be rebuilt, and that it was some kind of great coaching job to get them to 8-8.
This is all exactly as i remember it too, with the exception of your "Landry" mis-type.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
However, you must have noticed that as an interim Head Coach, the Cowboys were completely balanced, 250 pass attempts, 259 runs. In fact, in the last 8 games of 2010, the Cowboys ran the 4th most in the league. So when did he fail to run the ball as a Head Coach?

This is evidence? Really? The fact that the dolt runs the ball with his back-up QB while his franchise QB is out for the season and he's auditioning for the HC job. That's a stupid example man......

The following year he ran the ball more often than he passed in the first four games and in the fifth game he passed 31 times ran 29 times, a five game winning streak.

See, running does work and the dolt wins but he just can't stick to a formula. All you're doing is proving my point. Also, are we now going to break things down into parts of a season and parts of games instead of his overall body of work?

To this day McGee his the best passer rating in the last two minutes if regular seasons games this century.

McGee never once threw an INT in regulation play. Only one other quarterback since 1970 didn't throw an INT in his first 81 passes.....Tom Brady.

Oh my God.......I won't disrepsect my fingers by having them type a reply to this stupid fucking drivel.

Reaction score
Yeah that nonsense about McGee just solidified in my mind that statman is an owner and troll.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's really the bottom line on all the Garrett fantasy. If people actually pay attention to what's happening and are objective about things, they see that the Garrett excuses are total bullshit. Back in 2010 and 2011, no one claimed this team needed to be rebuilt. It had talent all over the place, especially as you say at QB -- which is why we were picked by many to be the first team to play a Superbowl in its home stadium. The story then was that Phillips was so horrible that he'd poisoned this incredibly talented roster. Garrett was the guy who would restore order and discipline and would win immediately. When we started 7-4 in 2011, not one fan was saying, "Guys, don't buy this mirage, this roster is awful and we're about to go on a losing streak." Not one. It was just the opposite. Of course we finished 1-4 to miss the playoffs in almost impossible fashion, no thanks to Next Landry's horrendous management.

It's only in the hindsight of consecutive incredible choke jobs that the Garrett fanboys changed their story to claim that those were barren rosters that had to be rebuilt, and that it was some kind of great coaching job to get them to 8-8.

Quoted for 100% truth and accuracy TE. There wasn't a mention of over the hill or aging players when wade was fired. And people act as if the only team that has to "rebuild" or has any significant roster turnover over a 4 year peiod in a salary cap NFL are the Cowboys. These are assinine arguments......

Reaction score
is statman really wrong though?

the team has been completely rebuilt, we got out from under some bad contracts, and its very much Jason's team now.

Reaction score
Nfl rosters experience about 35% turnover every offseason.

What nfl team doesn't get "rebuilt" over a four year period?

Reaction score
i dont know

you seem to be focusing on whether or not this was a complete rebuild

the team was older, alot of things needed to change, they did, the team is completely different save for tony pretty much now

Top Bottom