Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If Dak plays you have to play the rest of the starters too I think. I don't think its worth the injury risk to him or any of the others, even though getting him more reps would be a good thing.

The article that I read stated that NO starters at any position would even make an appearance in the last preseason game

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Why the fuck would we not be interested?

Exactly

We need to get out while the commodity is still hot

Teams are calling with trades and we need to at least entertain the offers before McFadden gets back on the field and injures himself again making his trade value zero

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
:lol

The hype train is definitely in overdrive. It's sort of disrespectful to Romo -- sorry you got hurt Tony but it's Dak's time now!!!

If Kellen Moore were getting ready to flop against the Giants like easily could have happened, Tony would be getting a lot more respect.

Even I started to forget about Romo this preseason.

I basically didn't want the Dak show to end. Looks like I got my wish.

I don't think we win a championship during Romo's time; so I'm almost at the point where I just want to see how Dak develops, rather than watch the Cowboys almost do something with Romo. Now more than ever, seeing as how Dak looks so good for how inexperienced he was supposed to be.

If Dak looked like shit, I probably would be bemoaning this year already.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
thats encouraging, hope they keep this up. Seems there was a time you could count on jeri getting raped on every trade he did, something has changed in this regard in my estimation

I don't know if that proves anything. Murray is more of an unknown than even Dak is. He's like 4th on the Chief's depth chart at QB, for crying out loud.

Now maybe if Dak wasn't here, showing these things...

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't know if that proves anything. Murray is more of an unknown than even Dak is. He's like 4th on the Chief's depth chart at QB, for crying out loud.

Now maybe if Dak wasn't here, showing these things...

huh, who's Murray?

My comment was about not trading anything for Zach Mettenberger

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Aikman had a great pre-season as a rookie in '89, then flopped against a real defense in Game 1. Not saying history will repeat itself, but don't freak out if it does.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Aikman had a great pre-season as a rookie in '89, then flopped against a real defense in Game 1. Not saying history will repeat itself, but don't freak out if it does.

Russell Wilson had a great preseason which carried over in to the regular season. There is no way to tell what will happen once the regular season starts. There is as good a chance he'll succeed as there is that he'll fail. We all just have to wait and see.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
huh, who's Murray?

My comment was about not trading anything for Zach Mettenberger

Aaron Murray. The Cowboys inquired about trading for him but decided they didn't want to pay the price. Will just wait until he gets cut unless they sign Austin Davis tomorrow.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

BB, I know you are old and may forget things but the difference there is while Aikman was a vastly better prospect than Prescott, Aikman also played on a vastly worse team that had very little quality NFL talent.

Prescott is walking into an offensive dream scenario for a QB here right now.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't have some bad throws and maybe even some rocky performances, but with this OL and this group of skill guys he has a chance to do some good things.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
BB, I know you are old and may forget things but the difference there is while Aikman was a vastly better prospect than Prescott, Aikman also played on a vastly worse team that had very little quality NFL talent.

:oldman

well, he had Irvin, Moose, Kmart and Walker, so the cupboard wasn't totally bare. it's quite likely that the Gmen will show him some things that he's never seen before in the vanilla pre-season.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Irvin was coming off an injury and only played in 5 or 6 games in 89. Moose was a rookie who actually played at HB some in addition to FB. Herschel was traded a couple games or so into the season.

They had other elite offensive talents like Paul Palmer, Broderick Sargent, James Dixon, Derrick Shephard, Steve Folsom & Junior Tautalatasi.

The OL was bad. The defense wasn't much better than the rest of the team.

Like Jimmy said, his U teams at Miami could have beaten this Cowboys team. Probably easily. The 89 Cowboys were essentially an expansion team before there were other expansion teams.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
it's quite likely that the Gmen will show him some things that he's never seen before in the vanilla pre-season.

Oh there's no doubt about that. Spagnuolo is very creative. The Redskins are good defensively and Vic Fangio with the Bears is also an outstanding defensive coach who's very creative. I'm sure they'll all be throwing the kitchen sink at him.

But Prescott does have a ton of help here.

Reaction score
Oh there's no doubt about that. Spagnuolo is very creative. The Redskins are good defensively and Vic Fangio with the Bears is also an outstanding defensive coach who's very creative. I'm sure they'll all be throwing the kitchen sink at him.

But Prescott does have a ton of help here.

Spagnuolo is from the Jim Johnson school of heavy blitzing especially using well-disguised DBs. The offenses that always seemed to play well against the Jim Johnson defense was just smashmouth running and play action: both of which we are scheduled and purported to be using.

Reaction score
Prescott is walking into an offensive dream scenario for a QB here right now.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't have some bad throws and maybe even some rocky performances, but with this OL and this group of skill guys he has a chance to do some good things.
I couldn't agree more. This OL, alone, is a tremendous asset to an inexperienced QB.

I said it months ago and others have observed it: Sometimes Dak can hold on to the ball too long. And if you are a QB who sometimes holds on to the ball too long, there is no other OL in professional football that you'd rather be playing behind.

Plus you've got Dez, Witten, the most talented rookie RB in the league, and some quality role players like Beasley.

In the history of the modern NFL, this might have happened before, but I can't remember it. I do not remember any rookie QB having a better situation. And that's going all of the way back to guys like Greg Cook of the Bengals in 1969.

Edit: I forgot about Roethlisberger. He was in a similar situation.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
In the history of the modern NFL, this might have happened before, but I can't remember it. I do not remember any rookie QB having a better situation. And that's going all of the way back to guys like Greg Cook of the Bengals in 1969.

Edit: I forgot about Roethlisberger. He was in a similar situation.

I think Stauubach was technically a rookie here in 1969, albeit not the typical rookie right out of college. I dont remember how many games he started that yr either.

Top Bottom