sbk92

Reaction score
Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Eagles offensive tackle King Dunlap has been charged with reckless driving and disorderly conduct for driving his Cadillac Escalade onto the plaza outside the arena hosting the Southeastern Conference women's basketball tournament.

Nashville police say Dunlap drove his 2004 Escalade onto the sidewalk and parked near the front doors Friday. He told officers he was picking up his father, who uses a wheelchair. Police say they asked Dunlap to move to the nearby street while offering to help with his father.

Dunlap refused and was arrested. Relatives who had been at the SEC tournament moved the SUV.

Police say Dunlap, 25, was cooperative after being taken into custody. A bond of $1,000 was set for the Nashville native.

Reaction score
Do the 49ers Have a Tampering Case Against the Eagles Regarding Brian Westbrook?

Do the 49ers Have a Tampering Case Against the Eagles Regarding Brian Westbrook?

by dan.parzych

March 8, 2011 On Monday, Sheil Kapadia of Philly.com reported how Brian Westbrook was interested in returning to the Philadelphia Eagles. Now, one reporter wonders whether or not the San Francisco 49ers will fire tampering charges against the Eagles after hearing what Westbrook had to say.
Courtesy of Philly.com:

“I talk to Coach Reid every week or so,” Westbrook told NBC 10 and CSN Philly. “We always talk. And I would love to be back in Philly, so we’ll see how things go.”

Considering Reid and Westbrook spent eight seasons together, it’s no surprise the two have remained close despite how things ended following the 2009 season. Reid played a major role in drafting the former Villanova star when not many teams knew about him back in 2002–so he’ll always be a big part of Westbrook’s life.

Still, after hearing these recent comments by Westbrook, Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com wonders if San Francisco has a tampering case against the Eagles. As Maiocco indicates, Westbrook is still technically a member of the 49ers–so Philadelphia is prohibited from speaking with their former running back about a possible return next season while he’s employed with another team.

Like the release of Brian Dawkins in 2009, it was difficult for fans to see the Eagles part ways with Westbrook–but it was the best option at the time. For a running back that has never been able to play a full season due to injuries, it would have been foolish for Philadelphia to pay Westbrook the $7.25 million he would have been due last season–especially with the emergence of LeSean McCoy at running back.

There’s no question the Eagles and their fans would welcome back Westbrook in a heartbeat with the right contract. Westbrook was a nice fill in for the injured Frank Gore last season (340 rushing yards with four touchdowns) and could make a nice backup to McCoy–as long as Philadelphia doesn’t break any rules in the process to acquire him.

Dan Parzych is the Lead NFL Content Editor for RantSports.com/NFL, where he writes and edits NFL content for RantSports.com.

Reaction score
Philadelphia Eagles: How a Quintin Mikell Departure Could Benefit The Eagles

Philadelphia Eagles: How a Quintin Mikell Departure Could Benefit The Eagles

March 16, 2011 By Dan Dubrow

Philadelphia Eagles veteran strong safety Quintin Mikell is among the list of available free agents to hit the market once a new collective bargaining agreement is reached.

While some fans are looking at a possible departure as being a devastating hit to the Eagles secondary, I’m taking a different path and looking at how it could possibly benefit them.

There is no question that the possibility of a repeat Brian Dawkins like scenario could play out scares the daylights out of me, trying to fill that void is still ongoing even though Nate Allen played solid football his rookie season.

However on the flip-side, if Mikell walks then that means there is a free agency which means the Eagles could go land a top tiered talent at either offensive line or cornerback. For that matter they could try to find Mikell’s replacement through free agency as well.

If they take the cornerback approach to free agency we all know the big fish out there is Nnamdi Asomugha, he’s clearly on the mind of each 32 teams in the NFL as a potential suitor.

Unfortunately for many teams’ fans economic struggles will prevent them from making a move, while the more successful teams over the past few years who have managed their salary cap will be able to.

If there is one thing the Eagles have is some cap space and an incredible need at cornerback at this point in time. Nnamdi would be an excellent pick up but he might be asking for more than what the Eagles want to spend considering some of their own they want to get under contract also.

They could also take the much less expensive route and go with Atlanta Falcons Brent Grimes or New York Jets Antonio Cromartie, but again, if the Eagles are really looking to reach the Super Bowl they’re going to have to reach deep in to their pockets.

If the Eagles try to “upgrade” the strong safety position through free agency there are a few names out there.

The first name that could make a ton of sense but is highly unlikely due to production struggles would be a return home player—Sean Considine. I wouldn’t be a fan of the move but it could make sense, he’s a veteran of the league and has some familiarity with the Eagles having played for them from 2005-08’.

In six seasons Sean has recorded 188 tackles, just four INTs and fumble recoveries, and two and a half quarterback sacks.

His name is out there but let’s moves on shall we?

Houston Texans Bernard Pollard a very promising name out there right now in my opinion as I look at the list of strong safety free agents.

The 6’1, 224 Pollard is entering his sixth season in the NFL and has some really solid numbers for a safety; 401 tackles, seven INTs (one pick six), eight fumble recoveries (one TD), five sacks and a safety.

It’s hard to ignore that production when they are very similar to Mikell’s, actually the only stat Quintin has more production in is interception—he has 10 but he also has three more years in the league!

They could also try last year’s draft pick Kurt Coleman who did show great ability during the preseason but I feel as though he needs more time to develop and adjust to the speed of the game.

But I do think Coleman is going to be a fantastic safety in the NFL one day!

In the end, and at the risk of sounding like I’m putting all my eggs in one basket, I have to say that if Quintin Mikell walks they have to go get either CB Nnamdi Asomugha or safety Bernard Pollard.

There will be a veteran presence needed and the Eagles can’t afford to get any younger in the starting secondary. The players who are a lock are Asante Samuel and Nate Allen and some more veteran leadership is going to be needed to help No. 22 in 2011!

Reaction score
Sources say Eagles offered a first-round pick for Kolb

NEW ORLEANS - The Eagles have received at least one offer for Kevin Kolb that would include a first-round draft pick in exchange for the quarterback, a league source said Monday.

While Eagles president Joe Banner would not confirm the offer, he did say that there was a "more aggressive market" for the 26-year-old Kolb than there was for Donovan McNabb. The Eagles dealt McNabb to Washington last April for an early second-round pick and a 2011 fourth-round selection.

"You can figure if there's a quarterback that a number of teams are interested in, you're going to end up with some meaningful compensation," Banner said Monday during a break in the NFL owners' meetings at a New Orleans hotel. "You can kind of figure out what that means and speculate from there. That's the situation we're in."

A Kolb trade is pure speculation. The lockout and the lack of a new collective bargaining agreement have shut down free agency and any other player movement for the time being. But that hasn't stopped quarterback-needy teams - there could be as many as a dozen - from making pitches to the Eagles.

And who might those teams be?

"They are the teams people are guessing [they might be]," Banner said.

Three NFL West teams - the Seahawks, Cardinals and 49ers - have been popular guesses along with the Titans, Vikings and Browns. Last year, Seattle and Cleveland reportedly made offers for Kolb. Banner said teams that were interested a year ago "remain interested."

"But the pool of teams interested in him is much bigger this year, by the dynamic of how many teams need a quarterback and how few other options there are to get one," he added. "There were a group of teams that last year tried to get by with OK quarterback situations and it didn't work out very well at all - all the West Coast teams, the Carolinas, the Miamis."

The list of potential free-agent quarterbacks is thin (led by the 31-year-old Carson Palmer), as is the list of other trade-worthy quarterbacks. Also, the draft class is not considered a strong one, and selecting a quarterback in the first round is a 50-50 proposition.

So if there is a large number of suitors, the question for the Eagles is whether the value of the offer is worth letting Kolb go and risking the 2011 season if starter Michael Vick gets injured.

"That's the trade-off, because [Kolb] could sit on the bench and not play a game the whole year or he could play 10 games," Banner said. "But, clearly, there's some point at which you've got to know the benefit of the trade is too great just for the protection in case we have an injury."

If the Eagles can trade Kolb and decide to do so, they can't do it without having a backup plan in place. Second-year QB Mike Kafka is still considered a project by many analysts.

That would be part of the equation on whether to do something," Banner said. "Do you have a solution that you feel good about at the backup quarterback situation? If not, it affects whether you do it or not."

Hypothetically speaking, so, too, could an attractive offer for Vick. Although the Eagles had identified Kolb as their starter last offseason, he was not off the table if a team was willing to match their exorbitant price. But the Eagles are obviously comfortable with Kolb, a four-year veteran, as a starter.

Banner dismissed the idea that the Eagles would be in support of a court ruling in favor of the players' antitrust lawsuit against the owners. A ruling in the April 6 hearing on the players' injunction request would lift the lockout and allow for player movement before the draft. Otherwise, the Eagles are less likely to want to trade Kolb for 2012 draft picks.

But Banner didn't rule out a deal after the draft.

"Pick a hypothetical date that this thing gets resolved," Banner said. "You could say, 'OK, for this year you give us . . . a player this year and a pick of picks next year.' So at least you're getting a player to help you this year and you have some future benefit, as well."

For the time being, however, Banner said the Eagles are sitting back and having "loose conversations" with other prospective partners. He said there can be no unwritten agreements until the lockout is over.

"So you can't promise a player, 'I'll do X or Y,' and you can't promise a team," Banner said. "But you can get to the point where you've fleshed out - if you wanted to - what everybody's best offer would be in a situation. That way you could know in your head, when things resumed, where you want to go and who you want to call."

Reaction score
While Eagles president Joe Banner would not confirm the offer, he did say that there was a "more aggressive market" for the 26-year-old Kolb than there was for Donovan McNabb.

Well yeah, Kolb is white, afterall.

Laz rant in 5....4.....3.....2....

C

Cr122

Eagles don't deny offer of first-rounder for Kolb

NEW ORLEANS --- Eagles coach Andy Reid seemed to unofficially open the bidding for quarterback Kevin Kolb last week in remarks to the team's Web site, and he confirmed to the Daily News this weekend that teams are calling with offers.

Of course, nothing can happen until there is a new collective bargaining agreement or a court injunction forces the NFL to reopen for business.

"We'll just see" if the league is still locked down at draft time, Reid told the Daily News yesterday. "We're just sitting back taking calls. Quite a few people are calling."

One of those calls appears to have been a team willing to give the Eagles a first-round pick for Kolb, according to Sports Illustrated's Peter King. Citing a "good source," King said the Eagles are now looking to see if a team with a higher draft choice in the first round is willing to make a "better deal." He did not identify the team that made the initial offer.

Asked this morning about King's report, Eagles general manager Howie Roseman, in New Orleans for the NFL meetings, did not deny it. He didn't exactly confirm it, either, but he definitely didn't deny it.

"There's a lot of interest in Kevin Kolb," Roseman said.

Could the Eagles come to a wink-and-nod agreement, pending resolution of the CBA dispute?

"You can have trade discussions, but until the CBA is done, you cannot complete a trade," Roseman said.

Roseman did not wink or nod while saying that, but he smiled enigmatically.

One of the possible scenarios that has been discussed is that if the players get an injunction against the lockout, the league would have to impose rules and reopen operations, while appealing. Then if the owners won their appeal, the league would shut down again. But one would think you could trade a QB for a draft pick or picks during this window of opportunity, if you had the deal already lined up and ready to go. Which, of course, they could never admit doing. (Insert your own wink/nod here.)

Bear in mind, we don't know for sure someone has offered a first-rounder. The way these things work, it behooves the team trying to create a market to leak the idea that some anonymous team is ready to meet its price. Other suitors are less likely to lowball, unless they are confident the report is false.

But a number of NFL people believe Kolb represents solid value in a draft year when the only slam-dunk NFL-ready star QB, Stanford's Andrew Luck, decided to stay in college.

Writes King: "I'd trade a very high draft pick to acquire Kolb instead of drafting one of the quarterbacks available this year. I'd want to reduce the risk of making a mistake high in the draft by taking the safe guy with ability? Kolb's 26. He's a coach's son. He's had some struggles running the Eagles offense in his seven career starts, but I saw him ruin the soon-to-be Super Bowl champion Saints with a 391-yard strafing in 2009; he played well enough to rout the playoff-bound Falcons and throw for 326 yards last season. We've seen him do it. All the rookies have question marks. I know I'd sleep better at night with Kolb on my team this summer."

Reaction score
No way do I give the Eagles a 1st round pick for Kolb.

It depends. This is a weak QB class.

I think 5 years from now, Andy Dalton & Greg McElroy, and likely Christian Ponder will be the best QB's from this draft. But they'll all need time to develop.

If you're a team in need of a QB, right now, and your pick is in the bottom half of the 1st, I could see making that trade.

I certainly don't like any of the free agent QB's either (Young, McNabb, etc)

C

Cr122

I think 5 years from now, Andy Dalton & Greg McElroy, and likely Christian Ponder will be the best QB's from this draft. But they'll all need time to develop.

If you're a team in need of a QB, right now, and your pick is in the bottom half of the 1st, I could see making that trade.

I dunno, I still think guys like Gabbert, Locker and Dalton have better careers than Kolb.

I agree they need time to develop, but I just don't think Kolb is that good of a QB to surrender a first round pick.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Well that would only leave Seattle. But I would take McNabb or Young for nothing than Kolb for a 1st rounder. The only team drafting in the bottom half that needs a QB is Seattle, and I doubt that Kolb would put them over the top.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
A high draft pick yes....2nd or 3rd rounder with a pick the following year also thrown in. He has shown some potential but has he shown enough to warrant giving up a 1st? Unless you are a very desperate team I would not give a 1st for him.

Andy Reid has already openly said Kolb is on the market. If someone comes with a 1st round offer no way the Eagles turn it down.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Well that would only leave Seattle. But I would take McNabb or Young for nothing than Kolb for a 1st rounder. The only team drafting in the bottom half that needs a QB is Seattle, and I doubt that Kolb would put them over the top.

I agree.

If you're Seattle and you're throwing around that first rounder, I'd send it for Carson Palmer if anyone. He's older but Kolb will never be the same QB he is today. Reunite him back with Carroll and see what you can get. Good running game, good defense, good veteran QB... all in a very weak division.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
A high draft pick yes....2nd or 3rd rounder with a pick the following year also thrown in. He has shown some potential but has he shown enough to warrant giving up a 1st? Unless you are a very desperate team I would not give a 1st for him.

Andy Reid has already openly said Kolb is on the market. If someone comes with a 1st round offer no way the Eagles turn it down.

When will people learn? There are two teams that you should NEVER trade picks for those teams' players: the Patriots and the Eagles. Those teams have an excellant system in place to where those players look better than what they are. It's fool's gold. The Dolphins got hosed by the Eagles with A.J. Feely for a 2nd rounder. Then they hosed the Redskins with McNabb. The Patriots hosed the Raiders with Richard Seymour for a 1st, then they hosed the Vikings with Moss.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I agree.

If you're Seattle and you're throwing around that first rounder, I'd send it for Carson Palmer if anyone. He's older but Kolb will never be the same QB he is today. Reunite him back with Carroll and see what you can get. Good running game, good defense, good veteran QB... all in a very weak division.

That's what I would do.

Top Bottom