Iamtdg

Reaction score
Sure they can. Why would they not be able to?

By the way, the biggest problem Dez has and what will eventually make him wind up doing a deal? Nobody's breaking down his door with any offers.

Wonder why that is, if he is so fucking great?

Because they applied the tag. He had to be signed by the deadline or he sits this year if he holds out. No negotiating after the deadline once the tag is applied. He either signs it and plays or he holds out. Again, no idea what you're talking about.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You have this stupid idea that just any receiver corps is just gonna catch passes regardless of who is in it.
Because it's like, always happened.

Where's all the other teams beating down the door to sign Dez, if he's so fucking great? He's been on the market now what, a few months?

:rofl3

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Because they applied the tag. He had to be signed by the deadline or he sits this year if he holds out. No negotiating after the deadline once the tag is applied. He either signs it and plays or he holds out. Again, no idea what you're talking about.
Applying the tag doesn't in any way hamper them from still doing a deal, long term.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
So you think that magically, Dallas just improved from nearly 20 years of mediocrity, to a actual good team. And is poised now to keep winning at this rate and maybe even win a Super Bowl.

Stop me if I'm wrong. Really can't wait to hear this one.

No, it wasn't magical. It was improvement on our OL. Which allowed our running game to improve and in turn allowed Romo and Dez to connect more efficiently. Take Dez out of that equation and it looks nothing like it did before. It's stupid to say otherwise.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Applying the tag doesn't in any way hamper them from still doing a deal, long term.

It does after the deadline. July17th is the deadline in case you didn't know and need that info of you get into this stupid argument somewhere else.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
No, it wasn't magical. It was improvement on our OL. Which allowed our running game to improve and in turn allowed Romo and Dez to connect more efficiently. Take Dez out of that equation and it looks nothing like it did before. It's stupid to say otherwise.
So, what is your prognosis for the future? I noticed you skipped that and instead gave me the standard o-line overhype.

Wait, let me guess. "If we lose Dez we're probably 1-15" or some such?

Dallas is one of the 20 or so mediocre teams in this league that can have a fluke 12-4 year. It's called parity. It's nothing to get excited about.

Dallas has its first significant winning season since 2007 and everybody has Lombardis dancing in their heads. Drives me nuts, it's like talking to a bunch of Cleveland Browns fans.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It does after the deadline. July17th is the deadline in case you didn't know and need that info of you get into this stupid argument somewhere else.
That is the deadline for Dez to sign the tag tender. Not any kind of deadline for Dallas to still do a deal.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
So, what is your prognosis for the future? I noticed you skipped that and instead gave me the standard o-line overhype.

Wait, let me guess. "If we lose Dez we're probably 1-15" or some such?

Dallas is one of the 20 or so mediocre teams in this league that can have a fluke 12-4 year. It's called parity. It's nothing to get excited about.

Dallas has its first significant winning season since 2007 and everybody has Lombardis dancing in their heads. Drives me nuts, it's like talking to a bunch of Cleveland Browns fans.

My prognosis is you will keep saying stupid shit. But, as far as the Cowboys go, if we lose Dez, I can easily see us going 6-10. You have to have the solid passing game threat for the run to even get close to working. They work hand in hand.

But, to your more glaringly idiotic point that 20 teams can go 12-4 on a fluke......... :lol

Oh, and who said anything about Lombardis? You are moving this argument all over the fucking place. The original argument was whether losing Dez would cripple us, and it absolutely would. Only a moron would think differently.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
That is the deadline for Dez to sign the tag tender. Not any kind of deadline for Dallas to still do a deal.

I suppose that's why just about every single beat writer out there is saying it would make no sense for Dez to hold out since it won't gain him anything since they can't sign him to anything but the tender after the signing deadline. Stupid mediots, amirite?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
But, to your more glaringly idiotic point that 20 teams can go 12-4 on a fluke.........
That's the exact nature of this league. There are 20 or so mediocre, so-so teams that with the right breaks and sheer dumb fucking luck, can turn in a 12-4 year.
But, as far as the Cowboys go, if we lose Dez, I can easily see us going 6-10. You have to have the solid passing game threat for the run to even get close to working. They work hand in hand.
Again, we see here you seem to believe we just won't be able to complete any passes without Dez, ignoring the fact that we and other teams, always seem to complete passes.

No Dez? Somebody else or elses, will step up.

We won't "be able" to run the ball next year because we won't be attempting it nearly as much as last year. Romo's healthy now and we're going back to 50+ pass attempts and maybe 20 grudgingly given, rushing attempts. This is primarily why no Murray, and no RB drafted.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I suppose that's why just about every single beat writer out there is saying it would make no sense for Dez to hold out since it won't gain him anything since they can't sign him to anything but the tender after the signing deadline.
I haven't seen anything like that. If Dez does not sign the tender, he can still do a long term deal instead. The deadline is for him to either sign or not, it doesn't stop them from still doing a deal.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
they can't sign him to anything but the tender after the signing deadline.
Okay, I stand corrected. Mea Culpa. I looked it up and with the tag designation, they have to get a deal done before that deadline, or must wait until next season.

I'm still at the point I always was, if Dez doesn't get any other offers and doesn't like Dallas' deal he will play this season under the tag. I've never said he would hold out or sit out the year. It's $12 million, about as much as he's made his whole career up to this point.

We'll have Dez on the field, barring nagging, un-xrayable injuries that are known to crop up when a player isn't happy, a-la Austin.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Again, we see here you seem to believe we just won't be able to complete any passes without Dez, ignoring the fact that we and other teams, always seem to complete passes.

And you seem to be ignoring the fact that an elite WR changes how defenses defend you, creating more completed passes versus otherwise. It's a really stupid argument to assume that just any receiver will just go ahead and catch passes regardless. I can't believe I'm even having this discussion.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
I haven't seen anything like that. If Dez does not sign the tender, he can still do a long term deal instead. The deadline is for him to either sign or not, it doesn't stop them from still doing a deal.

Wrong.

David Helman ‏@HelmanDC Jun 12

Totally different situations. NFL rules dictate that the two sides can't negotiate after the July 15 deadline.

David Helman ‏@HelmanDC Jun 12 Irving, TX

Not sure I see the point of a holdout in Dez's situation. If he doesn't have a deal by 7/15, he can't get one until after the season.

Todd Archer ‏@toddarcher Jun 12

Not at all. Means he plays this year on the tag only and they can't talk new deal until after the season. Todd Archer added,

@toddarcher if the team can't sing a deal with Dez by the deadline is he out? #cowboysmail

Bob Sturm ‏@SportsSturm Jun 12

OLD RULES. Please do not fall for the Emmitt holdout comparison. It doesn't live here anymore.

@SportsSturm It helped Emmitt Smith when he held out.

Bob Sturm ‏@SportsSturm Jun 12

Right. But, they can't do a deal during season even if they wanted to, so holdout seems like a really empty threat.

@SportsSturm if the team n @DezBryant could still negotiate after 7/15 this ploy would probably work

Enough for you?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
And you seem to be ignoring the fact that an elite WR changes how defenses defend you, creating more completed passes versus otherwise. It's a really stupid argument to assume that just any receiver will just go ahead and catch passes regardless. I can't believe I'm even having this discussion.
It doesn't matter a whit. If no dez, someone or more than one will step up, and you'll still have a passing game. It's silly to think that without Dez our offense just crumbles. Might be able to make that case with the QB, but not the wideout. The sky won't fall if we lose Dez. In fact we might be able to take advantage of not having the tendency on tape, defenses won't really know what approach is needed.
Enough for you?
Backreading is our friend.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Nice little crop of FA wideouts signed already, one of which of course we all know probably would have been a 3rd or 4th round pick - Antwan Goodley.

Here's significant FAs signed right now:

Reggie Dunn - 5-9 178 journeyman, on practice squad currently.
George Farmer - 6-1 220 and runs a 10.4 100 meter
Antwan Goodley - 5-10 209
Deontay Greenberry - 6-3, 200
A. J. Jenkins - 6-0 200 - former #30 overall pick

In addition to:

Beasley
Street and
Williams

I'm not very concerned at all about our passing game, or that Tony won't have good targets to throw to, with or without Dez.

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The Cowboys had thousand yard receivers before Dez, during Dez's rookie year they had two of them. In Dez's 2nd year a journeyman receiver had only 75 yards less then Dez despite only starting in 4 games.

How many thousand yard rushers have the Cowboys had recently?

Surely a QB ranked #1 in the entire NFL last season can find more than one receiver in critical situation....he always has before.

Funny how the Cowboys only rose above mediocrity when they decided to run the ball as often as they pass. Can Dez help us with that?

The Cowboys went from throwing the ball 586 times in 2013 to 476 times in 2014. With this emergence of an elite line, wouldn't it be safe to say that if the league's leading rusher of 2014 was expendable, then one of many receiving options would also be?

Dez Bryant led in receptions in 6 games last season. Four other receivers led in the remaining 10 games. He had 4 or less receptions in 7 games. He had a total of 4 100 yard games last season, tied for 13th place in the NFL. The Cowboys philosophy involves a variety of receiving options.

Dallas had 4 different receivers that caught 6 or more passes in two or more games in 2015, that is 3rd place in the NFL. A multiple option offense means that nobody can claim they are not expendable.

The Cowboys could trade Dez Bryant, clean up cap issues, and continue to build for a future that emphasizes team over selfishness.

A smart player would realize that they have far more promising financial circumstances after football if they win championships.

I would love to keep Dez. You know I felt the same about Murray. But the Cowboys don't have to risk additional cap strapped years in the future to sign a receiver in this offense, no matter how talented.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
^

Dez has a massive impact on the way teams play defense against us (run and pass). He's an impact player and is one of the best, if not the best WR in the league.

He'll get a new contract (well deserved) and he'll be on the field opening night.

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Dez has a massive impact on the way teams play defense against us (run and pass). He's an impact player and is one of the best, if not the best WR in the league.

He'll get a new contract (well deserved) and he'll be on the field opening night.

DeMarco had a massive impact on the way teams played defense against us (run and pass). He was an impact player and the best in 2014.

He did not get a new contract (well deserved) from the Cowboys. He will be on a field opening night, but not for the Cowboys.

I get that Dez is great, hell he is the best and I have the stats to prove it.

I took six measurements among all WR from 2000 to 2014 if they played all of their first five seasons within that time frame. I collected all that had at least 150 receptions. I kept the top 80 in yardage.

I ranked them according to the six measurements, Receptions, catch percentage, yardage, games started, touchdowns, and average yards per catch. I took an average of those six rankings and then ranked the average.

Here are the results:

1 Dez Bryant
1 Larry Fitzgerald
3 Demaryius Thomas
4 Greg Jennings
5 Marques Colston
6 Reggie Wayne
7 Chad Johnson
8 Darrell Jackson
9 Antonio Brown
10 Jimmy Graham
11 Roy Williams
12 Dwayne Bowe
13 Eric Decker
14 Andre Johnson
15 Hakeem Nicks
16 Jason Witten
17 Santonio Holmes
18 Roddy White
19 Braylon Edwards
20 Victor Cruz
21 Plaxico Burress
21 Jeremy Maclin
23 Michael Crabtree
24 Jordy Nelson
25 Golden Tate
26 Jeremy Shockey
27 Vincent Jackson
28 Alge Crumpler
29 Donte' Stallworth
30 Antonio Bryant
31 Zach Miller
32 Deion Branch
33 Emmanuel Sanders
34 Brian Hartline
35 Jerricho Cotchery
36 Wes Welker
37 Steve Johnson
38 Pierre Garcon
39 Miles Austin
39 Drew Bennett
41 Mike Williams
42 Mario Manningham
43 Rod Gardner
44 Nate Burleson
45 Davone Bess
46 Bernard Berrian
47 Kevin Curtis
48 Brandon Gibson
49 Sidney Rice
50 Todd Pinkston
51 James Jones
52 Michael Clayton
53 Patrick Crayton
54 Justin McCareins
54 Steve Smith
56 Reggie Williams
56 Lance Moore
58 L.J. Smith
59 Reggie Brown
60 Quincy Morgan
61 Danny Amendola
62 Fred Davis
63 Kenny Britt
64 Michael Jenkins
65 David Givens
66 Jerry Porter
67 Andre Roberts
68 Jabar Gaffney
68 Austin Collie
70 Mike Furrey
71 Bryant Johnson
72 Devin Hester
73 Nate Washington
73 Julian Edelman
75 Jason Avant
76 Earl Bennett
77 Shaun McDonald
78 Josh Reed
79 Dez White
80 Bobby Wade

Dez was ranked #4 in receptions, #3 in yardage, #1 in TD's, 17th in games started, 29th average yards per catch, and 24 in catch percentage. His average of 13.2 tied him for 1st place.

But that's not the point.

Will Dez Bryant's contract be indicative of the degree to which he will contribute to the Cowboys success when you compare that to his 52 (or more) teammates?

DeMarco was offered 5 million a year. Was Dez's contribution worth more than almost 3 times as much as DeMarco?

To what degree would his absence impact the Cowboys? We have seen in the past that Romo will find someone to throw the ball to. I believe the Cowboys will be a better team than they were last year even with the absence of both DeMarco and Dez. That sounds crazy yes, but the improvement from their young players in other areas will compensate. And other WR's and RB's will step up.

The Cowboys cannot afford to keep Dez if it means a hit in two or other three positions that greatly detriment the talent level on the field. If Dez gets a max contract will they be able to pay the O-linemen when the time comes? How about acquiring more talent on the D-line or secondary?

Last edited:

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Paying an oft-injured RB 8-9 million a year is not "well-deserved", but ok.

Top Bottom