Reaction score
Dez is far and away my favorite Cowboy right now, but I could give a shat less about any of this.

And I didn't read a single post in this thread.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It's funny how being a fan makes us blinkered. In no other occupation would we begrudge a man for extracting the most $ for his services.
I'm not begrudging him, I am simply realizing we might not be able to afford him.
Guess I was wrong that Condon worked for ROC, but they were official partners... Better phrasing was they worked together, I guess. But, apparently that changed recently:

What Happens Now That Roc Nation Sports And CAA Split - Forbes
The whole thing is just, goofy isn't it?

But it makes me feel a little bit better knowing Condon is calling the shots - maybe it won't be as hostile as I was thinking.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This is a big turning point for us I think.

I love Dez, always will, but we can't give him Fitz/CJ numbers. You just can't hand out that contract and field a competitive team year after year, WR just isn't that important, in terms of the wins they generate above a league average replacement. I think Dez is more of a team leader than either of those wideouts, so that has to factor, but still. It's sad but we'll probably lose him.

GTFOH. Nobody complained when Romo got the size of contract that he did. Dez is not just any WR. He changes th way defenses appraoch the Cowboys.

Do you really think the Cowboys can field a competitive team without him at this juncture?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Nobody complained when Romo got the size of contract that he did.
I sure did, still do and I also saw and heard many other people do so as well.
Do you really think the Cowboys can field a competitive team without him at this juncture?
8-8 is competitive. But let me explore this further. I didn't see passing numbers hurt by Owens' departure. In fact, the passing numbers never have been affected by personnel changes other than the QB.

You act like no passes will be caught if Bryant isn't suited up. Somehow, pretty much all teams manage to still have someone catching passes year after year regardless.

WE LOST MURRAY! WE LOST DEZ!! DOOM AND GLOOOOOM!

Only bad thing I see about any of this is the built in excuses it creates, when the team finishes 8-8, 7-9 or maybe 9-7 next year, as I have been predicting. It won't be because of personnel losses. It will be because that's what this team is.

But, the excuses are already getting built in.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
8-8 is competitive. But let me explore this further. I didn't see passing numbers hurt by Owens' departure. In fact, the passing numbers never have been affected by personnel changes other than the QB.

QB is the only position I'd really break the bank on but if I were going to give Dez a monster contract, I'd only consider it if I had a QB in his prime to give me the best chance to get a return on my investment. The worst thing that could happen is Romo can no longer play and we're paying Dez a huge salary with no one to throw him the ball.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
To even insinuate we could let Dez walk and be even close to the same team is idiotic.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
To even insinuate we could let Dez walk and be even close to the same team is idiotic.
Somehow, the passes always seem to get caught by somebody.

And yes, it will be the same mediocre 8-8 team it is.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Did you sleep through last season?
No, I saw really lousy quarterbacks eat us alive. Over and over again with no answers from us. I saw a Green Bay team with a crippled quarterback still beat us. We didn't have one creative Lop, Flop, stunt or blitz to use to even lay a glove on him. I saw our league leading running back fumble away a probable TD on one of the few breakaway runs he ever had. This is what mediocre teams do.

12-4 doesn't mean shit, it's four more wins. Just about any mediocre team in this league can get 12-4 with the right breaks. Those breaks don't happen every year, and since you're not a good team 12-4 is a aberration, not a trend.

The trend, since 1997, is 8-8. That is what we are.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Dez couldn't stay out of involuntary OTA's; he's not going to miss a game no matter how butthurt he is.

Exactly. Not when it will cost him close to $800,000 per game.

He gains nothing by skipping the season, because the fact is, the Cowboys wouldn't be able to negotiate with him anyway.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
No, I saw really lousy quarterbacks eat us alive. Over and over again with no answers from us. I saw a Green Bay team with a crippled quarterback still beat us. We didn't have one creative Lop, Flop, stunt or blitz to use to even lay a glove on him. I saw our league leading running back fumble away a probable TD on one of the few breakaway runs he ever had. This is what mediocre teams do.

12-4 doesn't mean shit, it's four more wins. Just about any mediocre team in this league can get 12-4 with the right breaks. Those breaks don't happen every year, and since you're not a good team 12-4 is a aberration, not a trend.

The trend, since 1997, is 8-8. That is what we are.

So, all you have done is give the offense (which Dez is a huge part of) credit for us going from 8-8 to 12-4. Brilliant argument.

"It's just four more wins." :lol Wow.

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Which player had a greater impact on last season, Dez Bryant or DeMarco Murray?

Which player would you trust the least when it come to off the field issues that might detriment their ability to play for the Cowboys?

Which player would the Cowboys miss the most?

By the way, did you know that DeMarco Murray was the Cowboys 3rd leading receiver over the past 4 combined seasons?

Top 7 yardage totals for Cowboy receivers in their first two years:

Player Receptions Yards Y/Rec TD
Bob Hayes* 110 2235 20.32 25
Dez Bryant 108 1489 13.79 15
Drew Pearson 84 1475 17.56 4
Ter Williams 81 1357 16.75 13
Antonio Bryant 83 1283 15.46 8
Michael Irvin* 58 1032 17.79 7

Cole Beasley had 54 receptions in his first two years despite starting only three games.

Despite Dez's "growth" and maturation he is still a ticking time bomb. His composure and behavior in some of the games have been excused for competitive nature. Baloney!

The truth is, Dez is one of Jerry Jones's "discoveries" and evidence of his drafting prowess. Jerry would have to admit to a blunder if this contract dispute leads to a parting of ways. Jerry will overpay to keep him while he completely lowballed DeMarco Murray and practically ran him out of town with an offer that was nothing less than an insult.

Reaction score
The passing game helps the running game. Teams pay a lot of attention to Dez Bryant. When they try to stack the box, Dez will kill you with one on one coverage (see the second Philly game). I think that aspect is forgotten about.

Reaction score

True.

Really, it seems to me that the franchise tag isn't such a bad deal -- for all concerned.

Yeah, the Cowboys would like more salary cap relief now and Dez would prefer guaranteed money in future years; it would seem that the franchise tag has both sides compromising.

... and if Dez wants security in case of injury, can't he just take out some insurance?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
So, all you have done is give the offense (which Dez is a huge part of) credit for us going from 8-8 to 12-4.
No, I give dumb luck most of the credit. And a bunch of that dumb luck - Tony's injury - is why we were running the ball so much.

Dumb luck gets a mediocre 8-8 team, four more wins. But dumb luck runs out, and that mediocre team loses in the playoffs.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Which player had a greater impact on last season, Dez Bryant or DeMarco Murray?

Which player would you trust the least when it come to off the field issues that might detriment their ability to play for the Cowboys?

Which player would the Cowboys miss the most?

By the way, did you know that DeMarco Murray was the Cowboys 3rd leading receiver over the past 4 combined seasons?

Top 7 yardage totals for Cowboy receivers in their first two years:

Player Receptions Yards Y/Rec TD
Bob Hayes* 110 2235 20.32 25
Dez Bryant 108 1489 13.79 15
Drew Pearson 84 1475 17.56 4
Ter Williams 81 1357 16.75 13
Antonio Bryant 83 1283 15.46 8
Michael Irvin* 58 1032 17.79 7

Cole Beasley had 54 receptions in his first two years despite starting only three games.

Despite Dez's "growth" and maturation he is still a ticking time bomb. His composure and behavior in some of the games have been excused for competitive nature. Baloney!

The truth is, Dez is one of Jerry Jones's "discoveries" and evidence of his drafting prowess. Jerry would have to admit to a blunder if this contract dispute leads to a parting of ways. Jerry will overpay to keep him while he completely lowballed DeMarco Murray and practically ran him out of town with an offer that was nothing less than an insult.
Wow it seems like people will still be catching passes if Dez leaves.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Exactly. Not when it will cost him close to $800,000 per game.

He gains nothing by skipping the season, because the fact is, the Cowboys wouldn't be able to negotiate with him anyway.
Sure they can. Why would they not be able to?

By the way, the biggest problem Dez has and what will eventually make him wind up doing a deal? Nobody's breaking down his door with any offers.

Wonder why that is, if he is so fucking great?

Iamtdg

Reaction score
No, I give dumb luck most of the credit. And a bunch of that dumb luck - Tony's injury - is why we were running the ball so much.

Dumb luck gets a mediocre 8-8 team, four more wins. But dumb luck runs out, and that mediocre team loses in the playoffs.

Good lord, man. This is as stupid an argument as your Bill Bates one.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Wow it seems like people will still be catching passes if Dez leaves.

You have absolutely no Ida what you're talking about. You have this stupid idea that just any receiver corps is just gonna catch passes regardless of who is in it. You do realize that teams double Dez which is what has allowed Beasley to go underneath for catches, right? Please tell me you are at least that football savvy.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Good lord, man. This is as stupid an argument as your Bill Bates one.
So you think that magically, Dallas just improved from nearly 20 years of mediocrity, to a actual good team. And is poised now to keep winning at this rate and maybe even win a Super Bowl.

Stop me if I'm wrong. Really can't wait to hear this one.

Top Bottom