Reaction score
Front Office Insider: Why elite WRs will likely continue to wait for contract extensions

Those who can take the top off a defense, high-point a football and outrace defenders to the end zone are at a premium in today's NFL. In short, there is a significant difference between a polished pass catcher and a bona fide playmaker.

But the market for elite wide receivers has become muddled in recent years. Though demand for Grade A players on the outside is as high as ever, every club must decide how it wants to split up its salary cap pie.

Meanwhile, four blue-chip wide receivers are in standby mode in regard to future contract extensions.

The Cowboys' Dez Bryant and Broncos' Demaryius Thomas each had the franchise tag placed on him this offseason, and neither player has yet signed the one-year tender that binds him to his team. Thomas, of course, didn't attend the Broncos' mandatory minicamp this week.

"Teams are likely going to make them play on the tag," one player agent told FOXSports.com. "It's possible that these players get tagged again."

Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones and Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green had their fifth-year options picked up. Teams began to apply the option in 2013, paying players selected in the first 10 picks the average salary of the 10 highest-paid players at their position.

"The market for receivers is tough to figure out," one exec told FOXSports.com. "When Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald came off of big rookie deals in an old rookie system, the numbers became inflated."

Fitzgerald signed one of the richest deals in NFL history in 2011, an eight-year, $120 million contract with $50 million in guarantees. He was able to command such a high dollar amount because of a clause in his contract that prevented the Cardinals from trading or franchising him. Months later, the Lions gave Johnson a seven-year extension that trumped Fitzgerald's figure. Because Johnson and his camp were aware Fitzgerald had such leverage, they waited to strike on their deal.

"It's all about leverage," another prominent agent said. "These teams are looking at their alternatives with the franchise tag and what these players want. If teams couldn't tag a player, these deals would get done in a second."

The wide gap between an average annual salary of $10 million (where most top receivers are) and $15 million (Fitzgerald-Johnson territory) ultimately is where these negotiations hit a snag. Certainly, some teams -- notably the Patriots -- choose to not pay receivers big-time money.

"Part of it is it's a case-by-case scenario, but the majority of the NFL doesn't value the position the way those teams chose to do contracts," a second high-level exec said. "... When you look at Arizona and Detroit, that's not the business model teams want to follow. When deals like that get made, it causes a ripple effect. It sets the market in a place not many want to do business. Regarding Detroit, you have to think by signing Calvin Johnson to that type of deal, they had to allow one of the best defensive players [Ndamukong Suh] in football go in free agency.

Teams have a little more than a month to get a deal done before July 15, the final day they can sign a franchise player to a long-term contract. If they fail to come to an agreement, a one-year deal kicks in with no extension allowed until after the season.

Bryant and Thomas are scheduled to make $12.8 million each in 2015 if they play under the tag. Though it's an unlikely scenario, each player could hold out until Week 10 before signing the franchise tender and still accrue a season toward free agency.

"Things typically move quicker when you're negotiating with a gun to your head," a third agent said. "Teams are banking on a weak player and agent to bring the overall market down."

The question is which side will budge first.

Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas, Julio Jones and other elite WRs continue to wait for extensions | FOX Sports

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I already explained the issue. It’s a league wide thing with the WRs. Teams are having trouble knowing what the market is for these guys. It’s across the league, not a “RocNation” issue.
The market is in flux, I completely understand that. This is why if you are Dallas you needed leverage in the form of a cheap rookie, to pressure the talks. You as Dallas, have to be prepared right meow, for life without Dez.

The issue with RocNation is, it is a black separatist group, doesn't have even one white person under representation, and IS hostile. Whether their tactics increase market value for the Dez's of the world remains to be seen. Or does it de-value them?

Only been in existence for a year and a half, and so far ALL of its contract negotiations have been hostile. That's the record.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think this much about nothing. It's slow with the NFL this time of year. OTAs for nearly all the teams is concluded. Nothing much to report. So why not create and sensationalize an issue? Especially involving the Cowboys. You have a high profile WR, on the highest profile team.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If it were nothing, there would actually be nothing because there would have been a contract already. There is something preventing that.

Not necessarily. Is it at or past the deadline? The Cowboys do not move on your schedule.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Is it at or past the deadline? The Cowboys do not move on your schedule.
They had to tag him because there was no agreement. That is the only reason there is any talk of Dez's contract situation.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Turns out this is straight from the Horse's mouth.

Dez Bryant weighs skipping Dallas Cowboys' season opener if no long-term deal signed

Dez Bryant is contemplating not reporting to the Dallas Cowboys for the regular-season opener unless he is signed to a long-term contract by July 15.

"This is no rumor; it's legit," Bryant told the NFL Network, confirming what sources familiar with the receiver's negotiation strategy earlier told ESPN.com.

Bryant has not signed his franchise tag, which would guarantee him $12,823,000 for the 2015 season. The deadline for franchise-tagged players to negotiate and sign a long-term contract is July 15. Bryant's only other options are to play under the $12.823 million tag or not play at all.

Could Dez Bryant hold out into the regular season, or will the Cowboys bend to his demands ? It depends whether the Cowboys believe Bryant's threat.

"I'm just not going to comment about that," said Bryant's agent, Tom Condon. "Our goal is still to get something done on a long-term basis by the deadline."

Cowboys executive vice president of player personnel Stephen Jones said last week that the team would make a push to get Bryant signed before the deadline. However, the team reportedly has not made a new proposal since prior to the 2014 season. Bryant has since changed contract representatives, from Eugene Parker to Condon.

A source cited the option of "pulling an Emmitt Smith," referring to the Cowboys' Hall of Fame running back who missed the first two games of the 1993 season. In that situation, the team gave in when it began the season with two losses, and Smith was signed to a new deal favorable to his side of negotiations. The Cowboys overcame that 0-2 start to win their second straight Super Bowl.

The Smith strategy could not be duplicated with the same result now, because under the collective bargaining agreement, the Cowboys could not sign Bryant to a new contract after July 15. Thus, they will have to measure whether Bryant's threat is real or a bluff.

And whether Bryant has the resolve remains to be seen. Even though he has not participated in the team's offseason workouts, he did appear at one OTA session and participated in individual drills. The Cowboys hold their mandatory minicamp next week, but Bryant is not subject to mandatory attendance because he technically is not under contract.

Bryant is entering his sixth NFL season. His production during the past three seasons is comparable to the best three-year stretch of several all-time great receivers: Jerry Rice, Marvin Harrison, Terrell Owens and Lance Alworth.

In 2014, he caught 88 passes for 1,350 yards and 16 touchdowns.
Whaaaaaat? Since when did Dez fire RocNation, and hire Tony's agent Condon?
Bryant has since changed contract representatives, from Eugene Parker to Condon.

Reaction score
This is a big turning point for us I think.

I love Dez, always will, but we can't give him Fitz/CJ numbers. You just can't hand out that contract and field a competitive team year after year, WR just isn't that important, in terms of the wins they generate above a league average replacement. I think Dez is more of a team leader than either of those wideouts, so that has to factor, but still. It's sad but we'll probably lose him.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I never understand why fans are so pro-owner in these situations. Dez is trying to get the best possible deal for himself. I do it, you do it, and if you are not, you should be.

I hope that both sides can settle on a mutually beneficial deal that keeps Dez a Cowboy for his whole career. I'm not about to sit here and criticize a man for trying to get what he feels he's worth.

What though is the 'best possible deal for himself'? Either way the dude isn't going to starve; he'll be able to feed his family* and then some.

It's a pride thing more than anything else: 'I want the world to know how valuable my franchise thinks I am and how much better a WR I am than the rest of the league; hence my contract status'. It's bullshit.

*anyone get the reference? Buehler?

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Does anyone want to see NFL teams start rewarding players with 300 mil contracts like in baseball? It's gonna happen. Sheesh, 100 mil contracts are going to start being the norm for premier DTs. Muhammed Wilkerson of the Jets wants one now.

Contracts are getting ridiculously out of hand because the NFL's best keep trying to one-up each other in contract largess.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Contracts keep going up because league revenue keeps going up and thus the salary cap keeps increasing. I know the numbers sound absurd, but when the league makes more, the players should and do make more.

At least in football it's not all guaranteed like in baseball... Though plenty is.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Dez couldn't stay out of involuntary OTA's; he's not going to miss a game no matter how butthurt he is.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Contracts keep going up because league revenue keeps going up and thus the salary cap keeps increasing. I know the numbers sound absurd, but when the league makes more, the players should and do make more.

At least in football it's not all guaranteed like in baseball... Though plenty is.

I still don't feel comfortable handing a black man that much cash.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Condon works for Roc.
I can't find any reference to that, anywhere. I have the entire list of athletes RocNation represents, and none of Condon's clients except Dez are on that list. List needs to be updated perhaps? But last report I have, Condon works for and heads up the CAA - Creative Artists Agency. That's a competitor to RocNation.
This is a big turning point for us I think.

I love Dez, always will, but we can't give him Fitz/CJ numbers. You just can't hand out that contract and field a competitive team year after year, WR just isn't that important, in terms of the wins they generate above a league average replacement. I think Dez is more of a team leader than either of those wideouts, so that has to factor, but still. It's sad but we'll probably lose him.
Welcome to the DCU, DezIrvin.

I imagine Jerruh would be hard pressed not to re-sign Dez. If there's still not contract and Dez signs his franchise tender before July 15, this problem sort of goes away for a year. That doesn't mean they can't come to agreement and sign a long term deal during the season.

If he doesn't sign, I don't see how Dallas can then continue negotiations. You gotta move on and let him get his big contract elsewhere.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dez couldn't stay out of involuntary OTA's; he's not going to miss a game no matter how butthurt he is.
He's got to play the leverage card he has to get the deal he wants. Otherwise there's no pressure on Dallas to cave in.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

If Romo starts making a stink about it, they'll get it done. You do remember that back in April, Romo restructured his contract to free up money, people speculated it was for Peterson, when I believe it's for Dez.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
It's funny how being a fan makes us blinkered. In no other occupation would we begrudge a man for extracting the most $ for his services.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I can't find any reference to that, anywhere. I have the entire list of athletes RocNation represents, and none of Condon's clients except Dez are on that list. List needs to be updated perhaps? But last report I have, Condon works for and heads up the CAA - Creative Artists Agency. That's a competitor to RocNation.
Guess I was wrong that Condon worked for ROC, but they were official partners... Better phrasing was they worked together, I guess. But, apparently that changed recently:

What Happens Now That Roc Nation Sports And CAA Split - Forbes

Top Bottom