LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It's perfectly reasonable for fans to worry when one of their key players is showing a glaring lack of common sense.

Buying an excessive amount fo jewelry has nothing to do with that. It's his money, wish it was yours though, don't you? Perfectly reasonable fans would not obsess over it.

sbk92

Reaction score
Buying an excessive amount fo jewelry has nothing to do with that. It's his money, wish it was yours though, don't you?

No. It does show a lack of intelligence.

Combine that with trying to weasel out of paying for it, and we're talking real ****** level here.

sbk92

Reaction score
Charles Barkley: Dez Bryant is acting like a star before he actually is one

Hall of Famer and NBA analyst Charles Barkley was interviewed on KESN-FM on Wednesday and discussed his thoughts on Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant. Here are some highlights:

What are your thoughts on Dez Bryant?

Could you all control Dez Bryant down there for me? Guys have to understand, man, it isn’t about being a punk or bagging down or being like that. You have to back down all the time if you’re a celebrity now because there’s nothing positive…growing up, if people started with you, you’d say, “I’m not going to be no punk.” That’s when you’re young and you’re childish. When you’re in the limelight now, you got to stand down. You got to stand down because everything you do is going to be a big deal. So you don’t take it personal.

You know when I always used to get to fighting? I had my little growing up…if somebody insulted me I had to punch them in the head. Of the five or six times I got arrested for fighting, I used to say, “I’m not backing down no matter what.” But now, I say, “You know what? Everything little thing you do is going to be a big deal.” And it’s probably happened 10, 15 times in the last four or five years and it’s always the drunk guys…it’s always the drunk, little guys too. But you have to back down, plain and simple because it’s going to be a big deal. So, you got to walk away.

What were you thinking when you heard about how much Dez owned jewelers in New York?

I’m not even talking about that; that’s just silly. Anybody that buys a lot of jewelry I think they’re an idiot. But, I’m going back to the thing at the mall. You have to be smart enough to understand that I’m going to back down here, because I know whether it’s me or my friends who has their pants hanging down, ‘Dez Bryant’ is going to be the name in the paper. I got to stand down. Now, the jewelry thing: pay your debts. I think anybody that wastes their money on jewelry - I think they’re an idiot anyway – but you got to pay your debt, plain and simple. You know it’s going to be a big deal; I mean, now this is all people are going to talk about. You got to pay your debt, plain and simple.

Would you want Dez Bryant on your team?

Would I want him on my team? No, because he’s going to be a star, but he’s already acting like a star before he’s a star. Right now, he’s very, very talented and the world is his if he wants it; I mean, the world is his but he’s got so much going on before he’s a full-blown superstar. Like right now, everybody thinks he is going to be a star but he’s got so much going before he’s a star, you got to wonder…when we give him a ton of money, how is he going to be? And that’s really what it comes down to…let’s quit kidding ourselves.

In a couple of years, the Cowboys are going to have to roll out the Brinks Truck and if he’s acting like this – I think he’s only getting guaranteed eight million dollars – in the future that’s going to be eight million dollars a year. Think about it: his first contract was over ‘x’ amount of years and only eight million is guaranteed. If he keeps playing like he’s playing, he could be making eight million dollars a year and then it’s going to be crazy.

sbk92

Reaction score
Always something with guys like Dez

By Jennifer Floyd Engel

Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant has $800,000 worth of bling, and that is just the unpaid stuff.

Talk about spending your money wisely.

Is anybody better prepared financially for a long lockout or life post-football than this guy? And his financial silliness just adds a litigious layer to his already bumpy first 365 as a Cowboy, with sagging and dog cussing and general jackassery.

Who possibly could have seen this whole Bryant-lockout imbroglio coming, right?

Oh right, lots of NFL teams did. It is why he was available for Dallas at No. 24, because a lot of teams did their due diligence and were scared by his rep as an "always something" guy. A few totally took him off of their boards, as in Do. Not. Draft.

The Cowboys never should have drafted this idiot. But they did. And everybody at Valley Ranch and beyond who argued that his talent justified this leap: this is what you signed up for, so quit looking so surprised.

The anonymous cries of unmanageable child from Cowboys types are laughable. How is this news to anybody?

The thing with always something guys is there is always something.

They are late. They bend rules. They do not study as hard. They do not know the plays. They do not listen to the coach. They whine. They jive at The Joule. They act like they are 12. They surround themselves with shady friends. There is always a controversy, a headache, or something that has nothing to do with football.

Although I would argue the outrage is a little excessive now.

"Pray for him," said Deion Sanders (or was that Prime tweeting?) in a message on Wednesday, as if Dez has been diagnosed with a disease other than chronic immaturity.

Dez has not been involved in a gun fight, like police have accused Aqib Talib and his momma of doing. Talk about taking Amy Chua's Tiger Mom advice to the next level. Nor has he been busted for drugs or drunk driving. He's guilty of being stupid, not criminal.

And speaking of mommas, Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland took a media beating for asking Dez about his momma pre-draft.

His question, while insensitively phrased, was fair.

He should have asked: What role do your parents have in your life? Or in other words, who advises/mentors an "always something" guy like yourself when the lockout comes next year and we have zero influence?

Paid friends? Celebrity friends? Girlfriends?

Your crew? The people you keep around to keep it real?

The guy trying to sell jewelry? The guy with the hand in your pocket?

Because as Dez is quickly learning, those people are transitory at best, predatory at worst. Let's start with that fraud Deion, who seems to be getting a lot of play for publicly dumping Dez as a mentee, or washing his hands, or whatever version of this schtick you heard in his 457 different interviews.

Did not listen. Do not care.

The vibe I get from Deion is it is always about him. And when you are screwing up left and right like Dez seems to be lately, what you really need is for it to be about you. He needs people who actually care to get him through this since the Cowboys are prohibited from stepping in.

And now I am talking to you, Dez. You need to call Bill Parcells.

You will not like him. Players rarely do, not until later, when they are not asking, "Do you want fries with that?" while wearing a diamond-encrusted No. 88.

He is irascible, opinionated, a pain in the butt, frankly. He will not tell you that the media is to blame, or the cops were wrong or really anything you want to hear. He will tell you to bank whatever is left of your bonus money, live on what amounts to a single game check for a year. He will explain that, if you do this, you will be able to live on the interest through lockouts and you will find out who your real friends are when you are not paying the Foot Locker bill.

He will not worry too much about your pants, that stuff never really was his thing. But he will jump your butt about how you comport yourself in lines at the Apple Store and how hard you work on your playbook/conditioning/job and all of the little things that go into making you a professional and a man.

That is truth. That is keeping it real.

That is a mentor. That is a friend.

That is exactly what you need right now rather than advice from an adviser who was helping you break NCAA rules, or an agent/friend/business partner who stands to make money from you, or the hypocrite who is your mentor right until he is telling the world why he has given up on you.

Like I said, I never would have drafted him. But they did.

So I will pray for him. I pray Dez finds an adviser who really keeps it real before "always something" turns into something tragic.

Reaction score
Most of these young cats in all sports burn through their early contracts with crap like gambling and ho's.

Expensive jewelry is stupid too but at least you have a chance to recover some of your investment.

You don't get your money back from gambling and ho's.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
[video=youtube;1Mrw_zRscM0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mrw_zRscM0&NR=1&feature=fvwp[/video]

I hope something clicks and this guy matures over the next year or so. He's got rare ability. Being that he was hurt for the last half of the season, I forgot about some of the stuff he did. He's an unreal beast when he has the ball in his hands and the way he snatches the ball out of the air is crazy.

That 88 yard punt return against the Giants was epic. There's not many guys that make that catch to begin with, then the moves after the catch.

I hope he pulls it together. He's not out of hand yet, but I can easily see him heading down that road.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
It was more like a crab-walk, but still.

I still smile when I see him toss "bad boy" Laron Landry to the ground.

Last edited:
C

Cr122

Just watching those highlights gets me pumped up.

This CBA better get done soon, who knows what else this kid may do off the field.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
As long as he doesn't participate in dog fights, cock fights, scorpion fights, doesn't rape or murder, or hit someone while driving drunk, I don't give a shit if he does anything else.

sbk92

Reaction score
I give a shat. Because the league looks for reasons to suspend players and because all that nonsense has to take away from his preparation on the field.

sbk92

Reaction score
You can get suspended and miss games without a serious crime on your record.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
"Goof off" at a strip club a few times. Create some kind of disturbance. Daddy Goodell will smack you down with the quickness.

Punching a stripper, the result of which is receiving an assault charge and being involved in a shooting all on the same night is not "goofing off".

Or maliciously destroying a mirror in one either.

Last edited:

sbk92

Reaction score
Punching a stripper, the result of which is receiving an assault charge and being involved in a shooting all on the same night is not "goofing off".

Who said anything about punching a stripper? And since when is punching somebody a serious crime anyway? I could do that tomorrow and not spend a day in jail.

When did Ben Roethlisberger committ a serious crime? He was suspended last year for the conduct policy. Not for any crime on his record. There is none. Players can now be suspended without even being charged with a crime. Just bad conduct in the eyes of Goodell.

How dumb do you have to be to be an NFL fan and not know the commissioner's agenda with player conduct?

So...yeah...I do mind if the idiot that is Dez Bryant "goofs off". And so would any coach walking the sidelines.

Top Bottom