Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
With a four-possession lead, even if you end up with 4th & 30, you've won as long as you've drained 45 seconds after every play.

* At 10:30 remaining in the 3rd, there's 25:30 remaining in the game.

Assuming each "3 & out drive" consumes about 4 minutes...a four possession game means we can drain about 16 minutes just by kneeling after every snap. This gives the Lions about 10 minutes to score four times...

I would break my tv if I played you in Madden.

pdom

UDFA
Reaction score
Lots of people compare Romo to Favre. Favre this and Favre that.

What we should hope for is that Romo becomes John Elway.

With a dominant running game around him, Elway went from career-choker to Top 5 QB of all-time.

Reaction score
Lots of people compare Romo to Favre. Favre this and Favre that.

What we should hope for is that Romo becomes John Elway.

With a dominant running game around him, Elway went from career-choker to Top 5 QB of all-time.

We've had a good running game behind him before. You can't have everything. He's got great WR's, a great TE, good RB, and a good D this year. We could be 4-0 and probably should be. You arn't going to have every unit around you be an all star unit. Gotta make it work with what you have.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
With a four-possession lead, even if you end up with 4th & 30, you've won as long as you've drained 45 seconds after every play.

* At 10:30 remaining in the 3rd, there's 25:30 remaining in the game.

Assuming each "3 & out drive" consumes about 4 minutes...a four possession game means we can drain about 16 minutes just by kneeling after every snap. This gives the Lions about 10 minutes to score four times...
It doesn't work out. You only get to run the clock after 3 of the downs. Run on 1st, kill 45. Run on 2nd, kill 45. Run on 3rd, kill 45. Punt. That's 2:15, not 4 minutes. So those 4 possessions you were talking about would be about 9 minutes at the most. So that would leave them 17 minutes. Or more than one whole quarter.

I'm ashamed of you. An Asian fucking up the math? Unacceptable.

Reaction score
It doesn't work out. You only get to run the clock after 3 of the downs. Run on 1st, kill 45. Run on 2nd, kill 45. Run on 3rd, kill 45. Punt. That's 2:15, not 4 minutes. So those 4 possessions you were talking about would be about 9 minutes at the most. So that would leave them 17 minutes. Or more than one whole quarter.

Assuming we could manage a first down or two, i think the basic point still stands.. we'd have been much better off milking some clock, especially after the first pick.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score

lol lol lol

I didn't even bother to check Phil's math.

I trusted you, Phil.

pdom

UDFA
Reaction score

lol

We'll split the difference at 3:00, assuming each regular play and the punt takes 10 seconds.

That leaves 13 minutes for four scores...and this is 'worst case scenario' with employing a three-yards and cloud of dust playcalling.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
lol

We'll split the difference at 3:00, assuming each regular play and the punt takes 10 seconds.

That leaves 13 minutes for four scores...and this is 'worst case scenario' with employing a three-yards and cloud of dust playcalling.

Your leaving out field position. In this scenario they would have great field position.

Changes the whole scenario.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
Assuming we could manage a first down or two, i think the basic point still stands.. we'd have been much better off milking some clock, especially after the first pick.

~whoosh~

Yeah. That was the point of the post flying over your head.

Besides, he was talking about kneeling on it. Pretty hard to get first downs doing that.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
lol

I can do this.

Just don't do that again. I clearly picture you in floodwater pants, a calculator in your shirt pocket, and with a camera hanging around your neck. My image of you was nearly blown.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I can do this.

Just don't do that again. I clearly picture you in floodwater pants, a calculator in your shirt pocket, and with a camera hanging around your neck. My image of you was nearly blown.

Damn.

pdom

UDFA
Reaction score
Your leaving out field position. In this scenario they would have great field position.

Changes the whole scenario.

Field position wouldn't change this scenario. If we were on the 1-yard line, we still could run up the gut and drain 45 seconds.

If anything changes the scenario, it's a blocked punt, punt return for TD, one-play Lions TD drive...or a pick six.

Regardless...

Just stating that this is how pinned we had the Lions. Even by fielding a Pop Warner team on offense, the Lions only had 13 minutes to score four times.

pdom

UDFA
Reaction score
I can do this.

You almost had me...I like white socks and Crocs.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
Field position wouldn't change this scenario. If we were on the 1-yard line, we still could run up the gut and drain 45 seconds.

If anything changes the scenario, it's a blocked punt, punt return for TD, one-play Lions TD drive...or a pick six.

Regardless...

Just stating that this is how pinned we had the Lions. Even by fielding a Pop Warner team on offense, the Lions only had 13 minutes to score four times.

All f'n around with you aside, I completely agree. And that's even saying our defense would have folded and let them score each time.

Maybe in years past, but I don't think they would have this year. We've shown we can actually step up and make a play on D under Ryan. And all it would have taken was one stop. I sincerely doubt they'd have scored all 4 times if made to travel the field.

pdom

UDFA
Reaction score
Whatever...there's no point debating this. It's never going to happen like this. The Dallas Cowboys are already concocting another implausible, unfathomable and absurd way of losing a football game.

Miss extra point so game goes to OT and lose on a blocked punt? Check. Arizona.

Last play before halftime and you fumble a pass in the flat for a 50-yard TD return topped only by a TD called back by a holding call by a player you traded your all-time bust LBer for? Check. Washington

Throw a pick six to your QB's groomsman that's also your franchise's all-time bust, then pick six again? Check.

Get in position for the winning FG kick on the last play of the game, get it blocked and committ a facemask penalty so a kicker you cut can kick the 55-yard game winner with 00:00 on the clock? Check. Washington

Have Mark Brunell toss two 50-yard bombs for TD in the last 5 minutes of the game to lose by one? Check. Washington.

Bobble? Check. Seattle

Top Bottom