dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Pretty sickening defeat. We were set up perfectly for 3-1, a ton of momentum going into the bye week and probably getting a number of key guys back for New England. Instead the veteran probowl QB just flat out laid a huge turd on the field after getting up 27-3. I dont know that I've ever seen a game in which there was such a complete swing in the way a QB has played. Almost perfect, almost absolutely flawless for 35 mins or so. Then absolutely putrid, so bad to the point that you almost think he had to make those stupid throws on purpose. Even high school QB's know better than to make throws like those.

1) Jones and Garrett seem to be defending Romo again, but behind the scenes its clearly time for the come to Jesus meeting with him. I think he has to be told "hey look, we cant have this anymore. Either get your head out of your ass or your going to be benched". You cant treat him with kid gloves anymore. If he's going to be the QB here you cant have a totally different set of standards for him as you do everyone else. He has played brilliantly at times this yr, but he's also had stretches where he looks like one of the worst players in the league. Those 3 picks yesterday were just pathetic. Not a single one of those passes had any chance of being completed. Those are thros you try to make when your down 27-3 and desperate to make plays, not when you are up 27-3 and just bitch slapping the opponent.

2) As I pointed out a couple times to the play calling whine asses yesterday, there's no reason to complain about any of it. They didnt throw 25 passes in a row with a 27-3 lead. The play distribution ended up looking more lopsided because the last 8 plays of the game were passes, because they HAD to be passes. Before that in the 2nd half they had two drives end in one play (boneheaded picks by the QB), they had a 7 play drive with 5 runs that ended with an awful 3rd down pick. They had two 3 and out series, and ran the ball on 3 of those 6 plays. The idea that Garrett "gave up on the run" or "went pass crazy" is not true.

3) I dont remember what writer suggested it, but I think the one thing that would be interesting to ask Garrett is maybe did the thought of taking Romo out with a 27-3 lead cross their mind at all. We were stomping on them and the Lions really had no hope for victory, except for how the game played out with Romo's turnovers. Because they had such a big lead at home, in the 2nd half and with a rib & lung injury to Romo maybe they could have sat him for the remainder of the game. I seriosuly doubt Kitna (or even McGee) would have made any of those dumb throws Romo made.

4) The defense definitely deserves alot of blame too. They folded like a house of cards on that final drive, and in general played poorly the entire 4th qtr when we were outscored 17-0 and they gave up nearly half of the Lions 303 yds. The ending to this game defensively reminded me of MANY games just like this when Zimmer was the coordinator here. Play good or really strong for 3 quarters, but do absolutely nothing when the game was on the line in the 4th and blow a big lead.

5) Tyron Smith got owned bad on that sack on the final drive, but otherwise the OL was pretty strong. The Lions got credit for only two knockdowns on the QB the entire game. There was only one sack yielded. The run game did gain over 100 yds and averaged over 4.0 yds per carry. Romo had all kinds of time on virtually every drop back. They couldnt stick it in there on the 4th and 1 GL play, but otherwise I thought they really showed well. They really handled the Detroit front easily IMO.

6) And another note to the play calling cry babies. Those of you who constantly bitch and moan about the team using the shotgun inside the 10, yesterday was another prime example of why they do it. They simply are not physical enough from these tight, short yardage formations to get enough push. The idea of going to the shotgun down there is to get the defense spread out more, and create running lanes that way. One thing they rarely do down there that I'd like to see tried is rather than going to the shotgun or short yardage offense, stay with a standard set of 2 WR's/1 TE and a RB/FB, or maybe go to a 1 back set with either 2 TE's/2 WR's or 3 WR's/1 TE. Run from a traditonal formation, and that way the defense still has to cover the entire field.

7) Two positives were clearly the play of Laurent Robinson and Dan Bailey. Bailey seems to be getting as close to automatic as there is now. His FG attempts get up quickly and seem to be damn near down the middle every try now. Since missing that chip shot against the Niners, he's hit 11 in a row and I dont that any of them had any doubt at all. Robinson was really impressive and once Austin and Bryant are 100%, we have a really impressive trio of WR's. He's dependable, seems to run good routes and has excellent speed.

8) Barry Church's play yesterday was pretty bad. Hopefully Sensabaugh doesnt miss any further game time, because he (Church) is a huge liability down the field in coverage. He's fine up to probably 10 yds or so from the LOS, but beyond that he seems lost and his lack of speed is quite evident.

9) YEAH!!!! Finally a freaking holding call on the other team. Only took a month. Way to go zebras, you dumb sacks of shit.

10) I havent seen an injury update from yesterday, maybe someone can post in this thread. I think I heard several more guys went down. I know Sensabaugh had a bad concussion, but I thought I heard 2 or 3 other guys went out too.

It will be interesting to see how Garrett handles yesterdays meltdown, which was an epic failure by the team. Never before in our history had we blown such a lead, and we did it at home. New England can definitely be had, St Louis is awful and has to come here. Philly isnt any good. Then we get Seattle, Buffalo and Miami at home in November, all 3 games which should be wins. Even with yesterdays devastating loss, we could be in pretty good shape by the end of November if the team can get healthy and get Romo to play without his head buried up his anus.

Last edited:

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You keep saying we aren't strong enough to run the ball, we don't have the personnel, etc.

Why is that okay with you? Why don't we have them? Who allowed us to get this way?

Running the ball, getting the tough yards when called upon is a basic essential of winning football games. If we don't have the guys necessary why didn't your hero go out and get them. Why did/does Red-Headed Jesus accept this?

Your defend Jerry and Jason at all cost act is getting sickening...again.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You keep saying we aren't strong enough to run the ball, we don't have the personnel, etc.

Why is that okay with you? Why don't we have them? Who allowed us to get this way?

Well 3 of them are young guys who havent had much (and in the case of Nagy and Smith, none at all) time in our offseason training programs. They'll get stronger over time, and they'll also improve technqiue wise with more practice time and reps.

Running the ball, getting the tough yards when called upon is a basic essential of winning football games. If we don't have the guys necessary why didn't your hero go out and get them. Why did/does Red-Headed Jesus accept this?

They did get new guys, but you cant expect them to be all world from the first day. I think its clear this OL is already a significant improvement over last years OL, especially in pass protection. Run blocking takes more time to develop because alot of it is built on timing and cohesiveness. These guys never played as down together before training camp started.

How have I defended Jones on anything lately? I know its part of your act here, but honestly what do I defend him on? Any examples?

As for Garrett, I do absolutely love what he's doing and I do firmly believe we'll win consistently with him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
As do I, as soon as he hires an Offensive Coordinator.

I dont think this is happening any time soon. And really there's very little to complain about offensively since he took over for Wade.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score

I don't think we needed a dominating run game yesterday or at all for that matter.

We need for Jason Garrett to allow himself to trust the run game to work to his advantage. Time of possession is the biggest benefit. And with a 27-3 lead, there is no excuse to not try to drain the clock.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't need (although I would love) a dominant running game. I just need a reliable one.

"We need for Jason Garrett to allow himself to trust the run game to work to his advantage. Time of possession is the biggest benefit. And with a 27-3 lead, there is no excuse to not try to drain the clock."

This is exactly right. This is what most of us, with any sense, are trying to say.

Reaction score
I don't think we needed a dominating run game yesterday or at all for that matter.

We need for Jason Garrett to allow himself to trust the run game to work to his advantage. Time of possession is the biggest benefit. And with a 27-3 lead, there is no excuse to not try to drain the clock.

Again, we have Romo, what could possibly go wrong with passing all.the.damn.time.?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

So I'll ask you the same question I asked others. How much more running did you want? They had 11 runs and 19 passes in the 2nd half, and 7 of those 19 attempts came on the final drive when they didnt have a choice. So prior to that series, the breakdown was almost 50/50 run/pass. We had 2 series that both ended in 3 and outs, and we ran the ball on half the plays.

Saying you want to see more runs is great if you can continue moving the chains doing it, unfortunately right now we cant.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
So I'll ask you the same question I asked others. How much more running did you want? They had 11 runs and 19 passes in the 2nd half, and 7 of those 19 attempts came on the final drive when they didnt have a choice. So prior to that series, the breakdown was almost 50/50 run/pass. We had 2 series that both ended in 3 and outs, and we ran the ball on half the plays.

Saying you want to see more runs is great if you can continue moving the chains doing it, unfortunately right now we cant.

2 of the 11 passes before the last drive were intercepted on first down. Jason didn't have a chance to call 10-15 more pass plays on those drives.

And didn't two of those running plays come when they were on their own goal line backed up?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
2 of the 11 passes before the last drive were intercepted on first down. Jason didn't have a chance to call 10-15 more pass plays on those drives.

And didn't two of those running plays come when they were on their own goal line backed up?

So with the way had been called to that point, with a nearly perfect balance of passing and running, you think Garrett was going to all of the sudden call 15 straight pass plays?

Yeah ok. Come on dude, you are smarter than this.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
So with the way had been called to that point, with a nearly perfect balance of passing and running, you think Garrett was going to all of the sudden call 15 straight pass plays?

Yeah ok. Come on dude, you are smarter than this.

I'm fucking with you, D.

My problem doesn't lie with balance. My problem is I think Garrett could have and should have handled Romo very different after the second pick 6.

The first one was just one of those things. The second one needs to wake you up.

Reaction score
I'm fucking with you, D.

My problem doesn't lie with balance. My problem is I think Garrett could have and should have handled Romo very different after the second pick 6.

The first one was just one of those things. The second one needs to wake you up.

He needs to have a serious sit down with him and get his head straight-2 of the 4 games his mistakes played key roles in the losses. Maybe he needs reigned in a bit?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He needs to have a serious sit down with him and get his head straight-2 of the 4 games his mistakes played key roles in the losses. Maybe he needs reigned in a bit?

He apparently said this is a strong possibility today.

Reaction score
He apparently said this is a strong possibility today.

Then hes approaching the problem the right way, hopefully it works.

Everyone needs held accountable, he(TR) just gets in the mindset where he can make all the throws when he cant then forces it...

Reaction score
My thoughts:

One coach made adjustments.. the other did not. Great gameplan going in, as usual.. i don't usually have complaints about the offensive gameplan. But JG has shown so far that he is not adept at making effective, needed adjustments on the fly during a game. Problems that we see go on and on with nothing being changed and then after the game we get an apology for it. Thinking JG doesn't have alot to learn about game management is delusional at best.

pdom

UDFA
Reaction score
My biggest beef is the drive with the 24-point lead. This is a four-possession game, folks. Four-possessions when the Lions only had maybe six to seven possessions left in the game.

With a four-possession lead, even if you end up with 4th & 30, you've won as long as you've drained 45 seconds after every play.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My biggest beef is the drive with the 24-point lead. This is a four-possession game, folks. Four-possessions when the Lions only had maybe six to seven possessions left in the game.

With a four-possession lead, even if you end up with 4th & 30, you've won as long as you've drained 45 seconds after every play.

Once we hit that 10-point lead territory, I'm okay with our regular offense.

Seems pretty simple.

pdom

UDFA
Reaction score

* At 10:30 remaining in the 3rd, there's 25:30 remaining in the game.

Assuming each "3 & out drive" consumes about 4 minutes...a four possession game means we can drain about 16 minutes just by kneeling after every snap. This gives the Lions about 10 minutes to score four times...

pdom

UDFA
Reaction score
What's amazing is that the Lions didn't have to:
a. kick an onside kick
b. go for it on fourth down
c. still had two timeouts remaining at end of game
d. and allowed enough time on the clock for us to have a final comeback drive

Last edited:
Top Bottom