Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'm not an offensive system expert but it seems passing games are predicated on reads and progressions. Almost all plays are designed to highlight what your best players do and get the ball into your best players hands consistently. Then if said player is covered you move to read 2, read 3 etc etc. Prescott does better when he can throw immediately to his 1st or 2nd read. When he starts trying to get off those reads, he struggles. And our pass protection dictates he HAS to get rid of it quickly, because quite frankly it sux (especially the right side)

Lamb should get the ball more and the last two games the offense has moved the ball much better because of it. He is a legit #1 target and should be the featured guy every week until opponents show they can stop it. The Chargers couldnt stop him and neither could the Eagles. Until someone proves otherwise, you take it over and over and over.

You mention Aikman and the 90's Cowboys. Michael Irvin WAS the goto guy. Plays were designed to get him the ball and even though teams knew he'd get the ball they could rarely stop him. I doubt Aikman had many (if any) games where he threw the ball more to Alvin Harper than Michael Irvin. Novacek was always pretty much the 2nd leading receiver. Harper and KMart (and then Kevin Williams) were complimentary guys. In fact most years the RB's caught more passes than the 2nd and 3rd WR's for us. Alvin Harper's career high in receptions for us was 36 I believe. Kevin Williams took over the primary #2 role in 1995 and didnt score a receiving TD until the final game of the season.

In our offense right now 6 guys have at least 10 receptions, 7 guys have at least one TD. If I look at a team that has been very explosive throwing the ball like Miami what do I see? 6 guys with 10+ receptions and 8 guys with at least 1 TD reception. And they've run probably 30 or so more pass plays than we have.
The play might have been designed to get Irvin the ball, but what I'm saying is that if Troy saw Harper wide open he'd throw him the ball.

Case in point, the famous play in the Niners game that went to Harper. Irvin famously switched with Harper because the play was designed to go to Harper. But Aikman saw that Harper was open and Harper got it. Aikman didn't say, "well golly, the play is supposed to go to the player on that side (Irvin), so..."

That's what having a quick release is all about-making quick and correct decisions. Sure, Dak was under pressure. No doubt. And Dak had a good game even so. BUT, I'm talking about the difference between good and great.

A QB, like Romo, for example, could predict who would be open just from the defensive alignment. It's not as if they have to wait and see like we do when we are playing in the playground.

This is why Romo would let the play clock go to almost zero. It allowed him to see the final positioning of the defense.

And Romo played with far worse of a scrub OL (in what should have been his prime years) than what Dak has right now.

A QB looks at the matchups. Looks at where the safety is, where the MLB is, and he should know that, on this play, so and so should be open. It might not be a fool proof way, but it's how slow-footed guys like Brady are going into the HOF.

Unless you're saying Dak sucks, which brings me back to my point.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Listening to the Doomsday podcast this morning they said we lost on 25 pass rush attempts. 19 of those were credited to Steele
Yes, but how do they measure credited, by the guy who got the sack?

As Stanback pointed out, why do you think, for example, Dak was running to the outside in the first place? Because he got pressured up the middle.

So then Dak might have run right into the arms of the guy Steele was blocking.

I'm not saying that happened all 19 times. I'm not saying Steele played well. I'm saying there is a reason why Dak was flushed out, and since he is a right handed QB his tendency is going to be to run right.

Last edited:

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Yep, a good organization would respond to this by benching him.

He's been bad every game. I'd have to check to confirm but in most games he's been the lowest graded OL for us. He was one of the 5 or 6 lowest rated starting tackles in the league BEFORE yesterday.

He was really good last yr before he got hurt, even a boderline probowler. But he should have never been handed a 90 million contract without first seeing how healthy he'd be. He isnt right, and its holding the offense hostage.
I agree with benching, but who replaces him? Maybe Asim?

I'd move Tyler out there, but again, I'm also not high on the play of our center, so we need to keep the Guards top notch. rookie playing RT?

I suppose it can't be any worse, or can it?

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score

This is great, now someone do Brandin Cooks and see if he was open.

If CeeDee is the type of WR who is a primadonna and wants the ball every time then that becomes a problem for the offense as a whole.

Cooper Kupp doesn't mind if someone else gets the ball.

Unless Cooks is the second coming of Roy Williams and he just lost it all in 1 year, then Cooks is getting open too. He also has speed.

Mixing it up adds a little something to the offense. We can't just be throwing to Lamb or Fergie.

We didn't trade for Cooks to just be a decoy.

It's my understanding that Cooks is getting open. We have to start using him and if CeeDee doesn't like it, then F him.

It's not about putting CeeDee in the pro-bowl!

To be clear, I'm not having a problem with CeeDee as much as I'm questioning WTF is happening with our play caller. I refuse to believe that using Cooks as a decoy is the best thing for this offense.

Cooks is too good to just make him run empty/decoy routes.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This is great, now someone do Brandin Cooks and see if he was open.

If CeeDee is the type of WR who is a primadonna and wants the ball every time then that becomes a problem for the offense as a whole.

Cooper Kupp doesn't mind if someone else gets the ball.

Unless Cooks is the second coming of Roy Williams and he just lost it all in 1 year, then Cooks is getting open too. He also has speed.

Mixing it up adds a little something to the offense. We can't just be throwing to Lamb or Fergie.

We didn't trade for Cooks to just be a decoy.

It's my understanding that Cooks is getting open. We have to start using him and if CeeDee doesn't like it, then F him.

It's not about putting CeeDee in the pro-bowl!

To be clear, I'm not having a problem with CeeDee as much as I'm questioning WTF is happening with our play caller. I refuse to believe that using Cooks as a decoy is the best thing for this offense.

Cooks is too good to just make him run empty/decoy routes.
I honestly dont see what you are complaining about. CeeDee Lamb has been sensational the last 3 games and the offense has played its best football by getting it to him. His targets have gone up and the passing game production has gone up.

Eventually teams will start doubling Lamb every play or coming up with some other junk coverages to try and take him away. Then more opportunities will come for others.

Lamb is getting open and Prescott is throwing him the ball. It's what any good team would do.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
DeMarcus Ware had the same issue. The dude was so fast off the snap that he'd also get called for off-sides. Complete BS.
The ref even said that postgame one time when they whistled him twice for offsides in the same game. The reporter said replay showed he wasn't offsides and the ref said they called it "because nobody could get to the QB that fast without being offsides"

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

#2 should be replaced immediately

Edoga was pretty decent at LG, held up ok at LT a couple games or so too. If he is healthy let him play RT.

If not give Asim Richards reps in practice there. He wont be as physical in the run game but at least he's athletic enough to not be a fucking turnstile on every pass down.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Thats what Olsen was alluding to during the broadcast, that Ferg didn't get the pick done correctly.

That said, Chris Simms posted this today. If he is correct, how is it that none of the refs and New York (league office ) didnt know this.

Top Bottom