Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The Bills exposed our obvious weakness which is the run.

So we can expect a heavy dose of more of the same in the upcoming weeks.

The bills ran on 71% of their total plays. No team in the league this season has run more in a single game.

The Bills haven’t run that much in a single game since 2017.
We haven't been able to stop the run in years. The inability is sometimes masked by modern NFL teams' penchant for abandoning the run as soon as they are down by 10.

I don't recall that happening in earlier times. I recall teams would stick to the run even if down by 21 if it happened early enough in the game.

For example, Pollard was having some good runs. Yes, we were down, but there was still plenty of time. Run it! It's okay to get only 4 yards. Do that 3 times and it's a first down. But teams are now scared. OMG, we went 3 and out. Fans boo, etc.

Back in the day, Jimmy was famous for a particular run drill (I think it was the 7 on 7 drill). He'd run it until the players puked and ran it some more. That created a tough, hard, team.

Today, every camp is a "camp cupcake".

Which is why when we do have a nice lead on say the Giants, McCarthy should run the ball and challenge his OL. Get into that mindset.

We'll run it here and there and at the end of the game say we ran it 20 times, so we're good. We had a nice balance.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
We've got DL (Fletcher Cox) flopping now too. But it's a result of too many darn rules. When I was a kid, I knew what a catch was. Now it needs to be analyzed to death.

Roughing the passer should be a Dick Butkus clothesline.
When football was great.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dodger paid good money to pay to see this garbage and the refs decided before kickoff who was going to win the game.

Just got back home. Ugly...simply ugly and no words for what I witnessed.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've only read 10 pages thus far and I see a common opinion......and that's making some excuses for Dak. Listen folks, I get it...the D sucked and embarrassed themselves and the refs gave the game away early. But you can't be an MVP candidate and have 28 yards passing with 1:38 left in the half. This is the issue with Dak. He's a GREAT complimentary QB when everything is going great. But when shit is just falling apart around you, you need to lead. It's one of Parcells' rules for a QB. Even if we don't win that game I take away something positive if Dak played well. The biggest issue on Sunday wasn't the D. The biggest issue was the guy under center that has to play well if we are to make any noise in the playoffs.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dak has to hit that or give his receiver a better chance when they're 1 on 1. That changes the game......

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We haven't been able to stop the run in years. The inability is sometimes masked by modern NFL teams' penchant for abandoning the run as soon as they are down by 10.

We actually have been able to stop the run. We haven’t allowed a single 100 yard rusher all season. This is the first time all season long that we have allowed any back to rush for over 100 yards on us.

It just happens to be the first game Hankins was out for.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
We actually have been able to stop the run. We haven’t allowed a single 100 yard rusher all season. This is the first time all season long that we have allowed any back to rush for over 100 yards on us.

It just happens to be the first game Hankins was out for.
As I wrote, it's masked. Teams often abandon the run, so that's why "we haven't allowed a 100 yard rusher". But, we aren't good against the run. Every time a team commits to the run, we find out we can't stop it.

But modern OCs run scared to go 3 and out, so they quickly go pass-happy. By committing to the run, I mean old school Jimmy Cowboys, old school Parcells Giants etc. Just because you go 3 and out you don't stop.

Teams now run here and there. So we stop it here and there and it looks like we are good against it.

I'd be willing to bet that if San Fran wants they can run it down our throat. But if they do that then our pass defense will look great.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Ok that's fine.

The Diggs fumble happened 2 plays before that anyway. If they had simply got that call right, they'd have never had a chance to flag Kearse.

Kearse didnt lead with his helmet, hit him defenseless or anything else egregious. You can ask the WR and I guarantee you they'd say they'd rather take a hit like Kearse did there as opposed to him going low and blowing up their legs from behind or summersaulting the guy and have him land on his head or neck.

For the people that want to say that was a legit penalty, then you must be ok with getting to the point where we just play pussy ass flag football, because all Kearse could have done there and not got a penalty was just stop and let him catch it.
I agree that it shouldn't have been called. I'm just saying that I THINK another angle shows head contact. I also think the flag on Williams was BS.

Unfortunately, this is the game that fans keep watching and keep supporting. As long as that revenue comes in, there is no problem in the eyes of the owners.

I might have written elsewhere that there are too many rules. I disagree, for example, with almost all the rules having to do with protecting the QB. I think it is ridiculous that a QB can be in the process of sliding and not be hit and more.

To be honest, the only reason I watch the NFL is to have something to do and more than half the time I'm not paying attention. Usually, I have it on in the background as I'm working, like now.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
They've also only played back to back road games once so far; the massacre at San Francisco, and the Chargers game that they could have lost two or three times at least.
I'm not saying I'm putting money on it, but for some reason I feel decent about our chances against Miami. We'll see.

But if Miami runs all over us, we're in trouble in terms of having any shot at the SB.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
2022:
Lost to Tampa (ugly), next week beat Cinci 20-17 (with Cooper Rush)
Lost at Philly (fairly close), next week beat Detroit 24-6 (Prescott 1st game back)
Lost at Green Bay 31-28 in OT (blew a big lead), next week beat Minnesota 40-3
Lost at Jacksonville 40-34 in OT, next week beat Philly 40-34
Lost at Washington 26-6, ugly loss but playing for nothing, next week beat Tampa in WC round 31-14

2023:
Lost to Cardinals (badly), next week beat Patriots 38-3
Lost to Niners (badly), next week beat LA Chargers 20-17
Lost to Eagles (close loss), next week beat NYG 49-17
Lost to Bills (badly) this week v Miami TBD

Lets hope the trend continues.
only grace I'm willing to give the jokers is if the sickness effected enough players plus the few injuries elsewhere kept them from being their best but thats a BIG if imo

I still think they'll drop 3 in a row now that they're playing better teams

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Whack job radical alert.

I need to start a website or twitter account and post quotes like this but replace "white" with "black", "trans", "asian", "Jewish", etc, etc and let everyone rage for a few days, then posted original quote and say "Got it, it only works when we use the word "white", duly noted"

"white" is the last acceptable pejorative

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Whack job radical alert.

Talk about Mr. Irrelevant. I rememeber more about mocking the guys who drafted him way too high in dynasty leagues than I do anything he actually did on the field.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Drew Lock just did more to help win Dallas the Division with that one throw with 28 seconds left vs Philly than Dak did all game long yesterday vs the Bills

Top Bottom