Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What folks forget is that the D played pretty well last year and gave this team a chance. Couple that with Zeek having a great year running the ball behind the best OL in the game and Prescott wasn't asked to carry the load. It disturbs me more that Denver dared Prescott to beat them and he didn't even challenge them downfield to loosen things up. Denver never had to stray from it's gameplan. This team has issues. And the biggest one is under center. That's not to say that Prescott can't be a solid bus driver. But that won't get them far.

And speaking of Zeek, he looks slow and out of shape. And it didn't happen overnight. I'm convinced this franchise will continue to go nowhere until a new HC comes and blows the whole thing up and just starts over.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
It disturbs me more that Denver dared Prescott to beat them and he didn't even challenge them downfield to loosen things up.

Challenge them downfield with who? We must have the slowest receiving corp in the NFL.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You've got it the wrong way round. The offense played well last year and gave the D a chance to be half-decent.

23, 17, 17, 14, 16, 23, 10, 30, 17, 26, 15, 20, 21. Those were the points given up by the D in our wins last season. They played well above expectations. And even in the two losses to Giants, the D only gave up 19 and 10 points, respectively.

Then the D turns around and holds the Giants to 3 points in the season opener this season. As good as the O was last season, one of the bigger surprises was the play of the D.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Challenge them downfield with who? We must have the slowest receiving corp in the NFL.

Dak missed an open Beasley on a throw that I could make. And I think he purposely throws the ball out of bounds on a deep sideline route to avoid a possible INT. He's a dink and dunk passer. The announcers mentioned yesterday that he only had one pass go for more than 10 yards and that was through 3/4 of the game. That won't get it done.

And it's not like we've always had burners at the WR position. Speed is important but it's not a prerequisite to go deep.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
23, 17, 17, 14, 16, 23, 10, 30, 17, 26, 15, 20, 21. Those were the points given up by the D in our wins last season. They played well above expectations. And even in the two losses to Giants, the D only gave up 19 and 10 points, respectively.

Then the D turns around and holds the Giants to 3 points in the season opener this season. As good as the O was last season, one of the bigger surprises was the play of the D.
That was because we ran a balanced, low risk, ball-control oriented offense that didn't expose the D, and made the opposing offense play into their hands. You make them sound like the '85 Bears.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Dak missed an open Beasley on a throw that I could make. And I think he purposely throws the ball out of bounds on a deep sideline route to avoid a possible INT. He's a dink and dunk passer. The announcers mentioned yesterday that he only had one pass go for more than 10 yards and that was through 3/4 of the game. That won't get it done.

And it's not like we've always had burners at the WR position. Speed is important but it's not a prerequisite to go deep.
The receivers were barely 10 yards down field before Von Miller was on top of Dak. FWIW, I agree with you that Dak is a bus driver, but that is what our D needs to stop them getting exposed, unlike the fast and loose style of Romo.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That was because we ran a balanced, low risk, ball-control oriented offense that didn't expose the D, and made the opposing offense play into their hands. You make them sound like the '85 Bears.

This idea of not "exposing the D" is laughable when the D couldn't force a punt in the past. Hell, they couldn't force a punt yesterday until what, the 4th quarter? It forces the offense to keep up and this offense with this QB is just not set up to do that.

I got news for you. This D is just not that good. When they hold the Giants to 3 points, they are playing well above their talent level. A balanced attack will only go so far when the opposing team scores on every possession.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Yesterday's debacle was not on Dak IMHO. It was on our inability to establish the run game. Where were the zone stretch runs, the toss sweeps etc.? We just ran straight ahead into the gut of the Broncos D. That in turn forced the game into Dak's hands, and with our unimaginative, predictable pass routes and slow-ass receivers he never stood a chance.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The receivers were barely 10 yards down field before Von Miller was on top of Dak. FWIW, I agree with you that Dak is a bus driver, but that is what our D needs to stop them getting exposed, unlike the fast and loose style of Romo.

There were times when Dak had time and couldn't find a receiver. He forces it to Dez or just dumps it off. You call Romo's style "fast and loose" but I think he just knew he had to carry the team. Dak is going to face this fact more often than not and he just doesn't have the QB skills to consistently keep the team in this type of game.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yesterday's debacle was not on Dak IMHO. It was on our inability to establish the run game. Where were the zone stretch runs, the toss sweeps etc.? We just ran straight ahead into the gut of the Broncos D. That in turn forced the game into Dak's hands, and with our unimaginative, predictable pass routes and slow-ass receivers he never stood a chance.

When you can't make a team pay for stacking the box or blitzing, they'll just continue to it. That was Denver's game plan...to stop Zeek and make Dak beat them. It was no secret. Dak was horrible yesterday. I saw it almost immediately that it was going to be a long day.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Los Angeles NFL fans are the best
f0398d312167f49265088478e88fb800.jpg

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Which was entirely my point, but never mind.

We can just agree to disagree. I just don't like what I'm seeing from Prescott. Sorry if that offends anyone. He had a decent defensive performance along with the best running game in the NFL last season. In that scenario, Dak can drive the bus. But defensive coordinators won't lose any sleep game planning over him. I mean, Denver's game plan was to have Prescott beat them. I don't know what other evidence you need about what some coaches think about his skill set. He was a good pick up in the 4th round and plays well within the system when the system is working. But we're going to lose Zeek sooner or later. We may lose some OL to injury during the year. He needs to step up his game.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
We can just agree to disagree. I just don't like what I'm seeing from Prescott. Sorry if that offends anyone.

It doesn't offend me. I respect your opinion even if I don't agree with everything you've said. Dak WAS bad yesterday, but his receivers and the coaches did him no favors. Romo was equally as bad when he had to throw the ball 50 times a game.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Dak wasn't good at all and just like last week, that's troubling.

But my biggest question is what happened to our OL? That's the worst they've played since this current great group got together. And it's not like Denver has a great front seven, either. We should have been able to run on them like we do everyone else except the Giants.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Gawd damn that game still has me in a bad mood. Cant believe they shit the bed so bad, I was starting to believe in this bunch, even some of the decision makers. They quickly reminded me why I stay forever pessimistic

Last edited:

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
But my biggest question is what happened to our OL?

The buzz seemed to say the new right tackle and left guard would be plug and play and we wouldn't miss a beat when the reality is they're both effectively rookies in terms of experience actually playing games.

That's about the only "excuse" I can come up with but I admittedly don't know what the hell I'm talking about when it comes to evaluating talent and performance

Top Bottom