dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Barkevious Mingo impresses in Patriots debut

By Kevin Patra
Around the NFL writer
Published: Sept. 2, 2016 at 09:23 a.m. Updated: Sept. 2, 2016 at 10:04 a.m.

Barkevious Mingo has been with the New England Patriots for just a week but in his first game action impressed his coaching staff.

In Thursday night's preseason finale -- the only true test the former first-round pick would have to show off for his new coaches -- Mingo flashed speed and hustle, earning six tackles, a tackle for loss, two quarterback hits, a forced fumble that was wiped out by a penalty and aiding another forced fumble.

"He lived in the facility for the last week," Bill Belichick said of after the game, via CSN New England. "He didn't go back to Cleveland. He came from Tampa, where they were practicing with Carolina, came back (to Foxborough from Carolina) with us. Players had an off day, (but) he spent the whole day in the facility with the coaches going through material to get caught up.

"(He) showed a lot of commitment to try to pick up the new information, tried to understand what we were doing, watching the film of the games that we've played, understand the techniques and how we're playing things and all that. He worked really hard, took a lot of plays in practice to get somewhat comfortable with what we're doing. It's obviously going to be a work in progress here. It's only been a week. But, like I said, he's smart, he learns well and he works hard so you can check all those boxes."

Belichick gave up a fifth-round pick to the Cleveland Browns for the right to give Mingo a second shot at an NFL career. Given the price tag, it seemed logical Mingo would be given a roster spot to start the season -- the Pats wouldn't surrender a fifth-rounder for a one-week tryout. His play Thursday cements that belief. Belichick using the words "work in progress" reinforces the notion he intends to give time for that progress to happen.

Mingo still doesn't have the size of a typical pass rusher, despite working with a bodybuilding granny all offseason. Yet his speed flashed Thursday night. If the Patriots can scheme ways to get Mingo off or around blocks, the 25-year-old still has the athleticism to make plays.

Perhaps it's becoming cliché to say 'if anyone can find a spot for him it's Belichick' when there are also instances where a BB flyer didn't work out (Terrance Knighton attempting a switch to a two-gap system this offseason, for instance). But for a player like Mingo who doesn't fit any NFL position perfectly, Belichick's creativity and flexibility might be a godsend for a young player needing a change of scenery.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Mingo still doesn't have the size of a typical pass rusher, despite working with a bodybuilding granny all offseason.
What

Nevermind, thought that had to be a typo, but it wasn't. Guess he stayed with some 53 year old bodybuilding woman in Dallas and gained a lot of weight. Weird.

Last edited:

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Wow. Jared Goff putting up Jameil Showers type numbers. Last two games a combined 10/28 for around 100 yds and a couple of picks

He's also lost another fumble tonight. That's more than 2 or 3 now this preseason I think.

He looked as bad as you would expect a rookie to look. His worst performance to date. And probably his last till they bench Keenum mid season. Hopefully by then he will have learned a thing or two

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Mingo still doesn't have the size of a typical pass rusher, despite working with a bodybuilding granny all offseason.

What's a bodybuilding granny?

NE has a great coach and organization (+ a hidden gem in Ernie Adams) and because of all of their years of success, they now have a self fulfilling prophecy effect where players come to NE to get a ring, submit willingly to a system & coach they trust & believe in which helps foster the team concept. They even get some players to join the team at lower salaries which gives them even more of an edge. Remarkable run they're on but when Belichik and Brady leave, there is going to be a black hole left behind that wont be filled for years. (btw, none of this guarantees Mingo will be a success but I like his chances in that environment)

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He looked as bad as you would expect a rookie to look. His worst performance to date. And probably his last till they bench Keenum mid season. Hopefully by then he will have learned a thing or two

Just read something this morning that says Goff is likely to be #3 on Rams depth chart now.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Just read something this morning that says Goff is likely to be #3 on Rams depth chart now.

Yep
It's all over the news here in L.A.

Fisher lost confidence in the kid after the Viking game. It will be interesting to see how it plays out on Tuesday during the last Hard Knocks

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
What

Nevermind, thought that had to be a typo, but it wasn't. Guess he stayed with some 53 year old bodybuilding woman in Dallas and gained a lot of weight. Weird.

Makes sense. He had to go to extremes to gain weight. Why not take tips from another extreme weight and muscle gainer?

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Wow. Jared Goff putting up Jameil Showers type numbers. Last two games a combined 10/28 for around 100 yds and a couple of picks

He's also lost another fumble tonight. That's more than 2 or 3 now this preseason I think.

Jeff Fisher said today that he'd go even Sean Mannion ahead of Goff right now.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score

Can you imagine if we traded up for Goff and Romo went down?

We'd be fucked this year.

Is it too early to start calling Jared Goff, Jared McNown?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Its certainly too early to draw any conclusions about the Wentz and Goff at this stage but I dont think I've ever felt like two players were more overhyped than these two were this year. Their meteoric rise in this years draft reminded me of the way people were buying tech stocks at ridiculous price to earnings ratios during the tech boom. I fortunately never bought into the tech boom and while I am the furthest thing from a talent evaluator, I cant buy into these guys either, not at the cost it took to draft them.

Neither of the two QBs were even on the radar less than 12 months from the 2016 draft, look at SI's 2016 Mock draft done on May 5, 2015:

1 Tennessee SHAWN OAKMAN, DE Junior, Baylor
2 RONNIE STANLEY, OT Senior, Notre Dame
3.JOEY BOSA, DE Junior, Ohio State
4.DEFOREST BUCKNER, DE Senior, Oregon
5.LAREMY TUNSIL, OT Junior, Ole Miss
6 CHRISTIAN HACKENBERG, QB Junior, Penn State
7 KENDALL FULLER, CB Junior, Virginia Tech
8.LAQUON TREADWELL, WR Junior, Ole Miss
9 CONNOR COOK, QB Senior, Michigan State
10 TAYLOR DECKER, OT Senior, Ohio State
11 MYLES JACK, LB Junior, UCLA
12 RASHARD HIGGINS, WR Junior, Colorado State
13 ROBERT NKEMDICHE, DE Junior, Ole Miss
14 VERNON HARGREAVES III, CB Junior, Florida
15 JALEN RAMSEY, S Junior, Florida State
16 D'HAQUILLE WILLIAMS, WR Senior, Auburn
17 CARDALE JONES, QB RS Junior, Ohio State
18 JACK CONKLIN, OT RS Junior, Michigan State
19 LEONARD FLOYD, OLB Junior, Georgia
20 EZEKIEL ELLIOTT, RB Junior, Ohio State
21 GERMAIN IFEDI, OT RS Junior, Texas A&M
22 A'SHAWN ROBINSON, DT Junior, Alabama
23 JALEN MILLS, CB/S Senior, LSU
24 TYLER BOYD, WR Junior, Pittsburgh
25 MAX TUERK, OL Senior, USC
26 JORDAN JENKINS, OLB Senior, Georgia
27 LANDON TURNER, G RS Senior, North Carolina
28 DEVONTAE BOOKER, RB Senior, Utah
29 SHILIQUE CALHOUN, DE RS Senior, Michigan State
30 DADI NICOLAS, OLB RS Senior, Virginia Tech
31 WILLIAM JACKSON, CB Senior, Houston
32 VADAL ALEXANDER, G/T Senior, LSU

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm getting a Peyton Manning/Ryan Leaf vibe out of Goff/Wentz for some reason.

One will end up real good and the other will end up the running joke of the NFL for years to come

I'm guessing the Eagles jump the gun on Wentz because Bradford will be horrible once again, or he will get hurt and Wentz will be put into play way too early. So I'm guessing the Eagles turn Wentz into the next Ryan Leaf

At least I'm hoping so! I sure as hell don't want the Eagles to find the next Peyton Manning

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Well I guess we will see how my theory holds up. I knew Wentz would be forced into action sooner rather than later. I just didn't expect it to be week 1!

Eagles just traded to the Vikings for their next years 1st and 4th

What is it about Bradford? He's never once lived up to his hype and yet he's had too separate huge contract that he didn't deserve. Now the Vikings way overpay for his shitty services.

It's like three ppl buying the same used and broken Honda Civic for the price of a Lamborghini not once but three separate times

Last edited:

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Eagles just traded to the Vikings for their next years 1st and 4th

Unreal how they are able to pull off these trades, this really mitigates the risk they took with Wentz. I can't believe Minnesota gave up that much

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Unreal how they are able to pull off these trades, this really mitigates the risk they took with Wentz. I can't believe Minnesota gave up that much

Minnesota has SB aspirations and were desperate. If their OL holds up I think the Vikings might still be really good with Bradford. Personally I wouldn't have given up a #1 but I can understand why they did.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Bradford would play like shit behind our O-Line

It's in his DNA

Top Bottom