C

Cr122

Updated: January 6, 2012, 7:36 PM ET

[h=1]Oregon's LaMichael James to go pro[/h]

By Joe Schad
ESPN.com
Archive

Oregon junior running back LaMichael James will skip his senior season and declare for the NFL draft, the Ducks confirmed Friday.

"My experience at the University of Oregon has been one unlike any other, and one I will never forget," James said. "I am grateful for the people I have met, the things I have learned, and the amazing community I have had the privilege of being a part of over the last three-and-a-half years."

James has his agent and training plans in order, sources said Friday.
James rushed for 1,805 yards and scored 18 touchdowns this season for the Ducks, who won the Pac-12 championship and the Rose Bowl Game presented by Vizio.
The 5-foot-9, 185-pound James had 159 yards and a touchdown in Oregon's 45-38 victory over Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. He is the fourth-highest ranked running back by ESPNScouts Inc.
"I am 100 percent behind LaMichael," Oregon coach Chip Kelly said. "He is a very special person and certainly will be remembered as one of the very best players ever to wear a uniform at the University of Oregon. It has been a pleasure to coach him for the four seasons he has been here and is comforting to know that he will obtain his degree this spring. I could not have asked anymore from him and I am confident he will be a success at the next level."
Joe Schad is a college football reporter for ESPN.

C

Cr122

By Jack McCluskey

Updated: January 6, 2012, 9:20 PM ET

[h=2]Luke Kuechly will enter NFL draft[/h]

By Jack McCluskey
Special to ESPNBoston.com

Archive

BOSTON -- The longstanding fears of Boston College football fans have been realized: linebacker Luke Kuechly has decided to forgo his senior season and enter the NFL draft.
Kuechly, a two-time All-America selection, announced the decision in a conference call with reporters Friday night. He said it was an opportunity he couldn't pass up.

"It was a really tough decision," he said. "I think there were two things that were weighing on me both ways. This is something I've always wanted to do, play in the NFL. And then the other part of it was just the friends and people I met at BC.

"I think it's tough to end one thing and start another thing, regardless of what it is."
Kuechly is ranked as the top linebacker and 10th overall on ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr.'s Big Board, and he is 13th on Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay's Top 32.
Kuechly is a 6-foot-3, 237-pound linebacker who led the nation in tackles this season with 191 and was honored with the Butkus Award, the Bronko Nagurski Award, the Lombardi Award and the Lott IMPACT Trophy.
In his third season in Chestnut Hill, Kuechly broke both the single season tackles record, which he'd set with 183 as a sophomore, and the career tackles record, his 532 surpassing Stephen Boyd's 524. Kuechly's 532 tackles also set a new ACC record.
He had a nation-best 33-game streak of 10 or more tackles snapped in his final game as an Eagle, when he finished with nine against Miami (though he did have a pick-six in the Eagles' win over the Hurricanes).
The Cincinnati native said he consulted with family, coaches and former teammates before making his decision. He talked to former Eagles and current NFL players Mark Herzlich andAlex Albright, among others, to find out what they're going through in the pro ranks now, but his family's words held the most weight.
"I think the biggest thing for me was talking to my family," he said. "I think they had the biggest impact on me."
BC coach Frank Spaziani liked to call his star middle linebacker "the Human Eraser" and "the Boy Wonder" for his prolific tackling abilities. The longtime defensive coach marveled at Kuechly's consistency and unparalleled instincts for finding the ball.
After the Eagles wrapped up a disappointing 4-8 season, failing to qualify for a bowl game for the first time in more than a decade, and draft speculation began to swirl around Kuechly in earnest, Spaziani was asked about his favorite Kuechly moments.
"Oh man, there's so many of those," he said. "He's just a joy. It really is fun to watch."
Kuechly was voted a captain by his peers before his junior season and seemed to genuinely enjoy his time at BC. In fact, in the point-counterpoint he did to make his decision, the relationships he built while in school were one of the biggest marks in BC's favor.
But in the end, he felt it was time to leave.
"It's just a great opportunity to do something that I've wanted to do since I started playing football," he said. "For me, I've always wanted to play in the NFL and it's right there for me, kinda looking me in the face."
Jack McCluskey is a regular contributor to ESPNBoston.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Reaction score
Wisconsin C Konz declares for draft.

By PFW staff

Wisconsin C Peter Konz declared for the NFL draft on Tuesday, the school announced. Konz started 31 games at center for the Badgers over the last three seasons.

"As you've probably heard, I have decided to forgo my senior season and enter the NFL draft," Konz said. "Because of the support I have received, the degree I am so proud to leave with, the football legacy I helped leave behind, and more reasons than I could even remember, I would simply like to say thank you. Every last person has made my experience at Wisconsin far beyond what I could have imagined and without you I could never be where I am today. Also, one last thing, the only team I want to play for is the Dallas Cowboys. If anyone else drafts me, I hope you go home to find your family in a pool of blood."

Konz was named first-team All-American by Pro Football Weekly. He was a Rimington Trophy finalist as a junior. Konz was also a three-time Academic All-Big Ten selection.

Konz is expected to be a late first-rounder. He is big, powerful, strong and consistent.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Georgia's Orson Charles to enter draft, FS Rambo staying in school

By Chris Low and Mark Schlabach
ESPN.com

Georgia tight end Orson Charles announced Wednesday that he is forgoing his final season of college eligibility and will enter April's NFL draft.

"It's time to move on to the next part of my life," Charles told ESPN's Joe Schad. "There is the injury risk. There is the ability to help my family. The time is right to chase my dream."

Charles, a 6-foot-3, 241-pound junior from Tampa, was named All-America by the Walter Camp Foundation and American Football Coaches Association after catching 45 passes for 574 yards with five touchdowns.

He also was a finalist for the John Mackey Award as the country's top tight end and was named All-SEC.

"I just felt like I met the majority of all my goals. I felt like I have grown spiritually," Charles said during an afternoon news conference. "Like coach (Mark) Richt says, that is the first thing you have to do."

Charles said a number of NFL players, including Georgia alumni Ben Watson, Randy McMichael and D.J. Ware, and Vernon Davis, as well as former NFL coach and current analyst Tony Dungy, helped him reach his decision.

As for where he believes he'll be drafted, Charles said: "I think I will keep that between me and the NFL. What they gave me, I felt real confident in, so that is why I made my decision to come out."

The Bulldogs, who went 10-4 and reached the SEC championship game, are expected to lose only one defensive starter from this past season's team, cornerback Brandon Boykin. Georgia will be losing offensive linemen Ben Jones, Justin Anderson and Cordy Glenn and fullback Bruce Figgins.

School officials announced later Wednesday that safety Bacarri Rambo will be returning for his senior year.

Rambo was named a first-team All-American by The Associated Press after leading the SEC with eight interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown. His 157 return yards in a season ranks third all-time in the Georgia record books. Rambo, a native of Donalsonville, Ga., has 152 career tackles.

The 6-foot, 218-pound safety ranks third in career interceptions at George with 13. With Rambo trailing only Jake Scott (16), Jeff Hipp and Terry Hoage (14 each) for UGA's all-time record, he could become the all-time record-holder for the Bulldogs.

Junior linebacker Cornelius Washington is considering whether to enter the NFL draft, but is believed to be leaning toward playing one more season for the Bulldogs, sources told ESPN.com.

Junior linebacker Jarvis Jones already has said he will return to Georgia this season.

Reaction score
NFLDraftInsider NFL Draft Insider
Reason WR Alshon Jeffrey stock dropped? Effort is a concern, conditioning, drops, second gear speed. Still a beast, Mid to late 1st.

Reaction score
evansilva Evan Silva
ESPN's Todd McShay on #LSU DT Michael Brockers: "Has potential to be the first interior DL off the board. ... Gonna be a big-time player."

Reaction score
evansilva Evan Silva
ESPN's Todd McShay on #LSU DT Michael Brockers: "Has potential to be the first interior DL off the board. ... Gonna be a big-time player."

Ya mean as bigtime as Marcus Spears!???!!?!

Reaction score
From MockDraft101:

OG David DeCastro – Stanford
Janoris Jenkins was previously mocked here, but sources close to MockDraft101, say that the Cowboys have taken Jenkins completely off their board. If this is case, and DeCastro is available, then look for Dallas to spend no more than 10 seconds making this selection. The interior of the Cowboys O-line is less than average, and combine DeCastro with Tyron Smith and the Cowboys have the making of a dominant O-line for years to come.

-----

Most likely Jenkins wouldn't have been in the mix for us at #14 anyways, and he wouldn't be around by the time we pick in the 2nd. But if Kirkpatrick is off our board for the first round, then Dennard is the only first round CB in the mix. But like was stated above, hopefully DeCastro will be there and we jump at taking him.

Reaction score
Where have you heard Kirkpatrick was off our board? Or you just throwing a what if out there?

Reaction score
Seems logical that would be the case. The only knock on Jenkins (that I know of) was his drug bust.

If we took him off for that, then we'd probably do so for Kirkpatrick, no?

Although Ellis tweeted the other day that many in the organization would be willing to overlook it for Kirkpatrick.

Reaction score
Jenkins supposedly has a long history of incidents. Kirkpatrick may be given more leeway, but it still sends up a red flag.

But I'd prefer we just go ahead and look at other positions in round one and then maybe a quality CB will fall to us in the 2nd/3rd round. Or if we address the position in FA we can just not worry about it in the draft unless one happens to be BPA when we pick at some point.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Seems logical that would be the case. The only knock on Jenkins (that I know of) was his drug bust.

If we took him off for that, then we'd probably do so for Kirkpatrick, no?

Although Ellis tweeted the other day that many in the organization would be willing to overlook it for Kirkpatrick.

Jenkins has got a TON of baggage from Florida. We wont be the only team that yanks him off the draft board.

Reaction score
If I was on who wants to be a millionaire my first guess right now is that the cowboys will trade down about 5 spots and take Melvin Ingram

I am guessing......

For now

Reaction score
If I was on who wants to be a millionaire my first guess right now is that the cowboys will trade down about 5 spots and take Melvin Ingram

I am guessing......

For now

I was thinking about this earlier when I was considering possible DT's in the first. It would be ideal to do so after a trade down.

But, I'm not sure this draft shapes up well for a potential trade down.

Is there a player that could drop that could prompt a team to get antsy and trade up with us?

I don't see it. Only 2 QB's, 1 stud corner without baggage, 1 runningback .... meh. Even if we did want to trade down, I'm not sure we'll have a chance.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I was thinking about this earlier when I was considering possible DT's in the first. It would be ideal to do so after a trade down.

But, I'm not sure this draft shapes up well for a potential trade down.

Is there a player that could drop that could prompt a team to get antsy and trade up with us?

I don't see it. Only 2 QB's, 1 stud corner without baggage, 1 runningback .... meh. Even if we did want to trade down, I'm not sure we'll have a chance.

Somebody may want to jump up and get Tannehill. Also, if Riley Reiff or Jonathan Martin falls to 14 someone may be anxious to make a move.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Shrine Game update.

Ehh. Not a lot of talent. A lot of people at the Zone are high on Northern Illinois QB Chandler Harnish. He reminds me of Romo a little. Very mobile and aggressive with his throws.

If Tank Carder (ILB - TCU) slides to the 5th round, he would be an ideal reserve for us. He isn't overwhelming but he is fundamentally sound and can cover. Kind of a Sean Lee lite.

I'm intrigued by DL Akiem Hicks from Regina (Canada). He's pretty active for a 6'5", 320-lb guy and has a big wingspan. He was one of the top JuCo DT's in the nation an was on the LSU roster before some eligibility issues forced him to play in Canada. He could be a steal in the 6th round.

Top Bottom