Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I stand corrected then. I always assumed it referred to the positions off the line on offense. I guess it applies to the defensive side of the ball as well, and special teams returners.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Broaddus doesn't think we go after Nicks. He believes we go defense first.

To be fair he said romo wouldn't be back after last season and that his sources told him Garrett wouldn't be hired.

So...you know

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Broaddus doesn't think we go after Nicks. He believes we go defense first.

Not really sure he has much insight into whats going on there anymore...he's been wrong alot the past couple years on what Dallas would do

Reaction score
Well, if we're hot for Carr or Finnegan, as stated, and we franchise Spencer, then we're not going to have the money to go after Nicks.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Not really sure he has much insight into whats going on there anymore...he's been wrong alot the past couple years on what Dallas would do

Almost always to be honest.

I do hope he is right though I hope we fix the defense with veterans.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Well, if we're hot for Carr or Finnegan, as stated, and we franchise Spencer, then we're not going to have the money to go after Nicks.

If they wanted him, they could get him.

Just because he is tagged on March the 5th, doesnt mean he'd tie up 8 mils or so every day for the rest of the offseason. He might only be "tagged" for another few days

And even if he did play this season under the tag, they have plenty of cap space and can create a ton more by restrucuting some other deals

Reaction score
And even if he did play this season under the tag, they have plenty of cap space and can create a ton more by restrucuting some other deals

I've heard 12-16 mil in cap space for this year -- and I think the 16 was after a Newman release.

8.8 leaves between 3-7 left.

You need approximately 5 for the rookie pool.

Am I off on these numbers? And if so, where?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I've heard 12-16 mil in cap space for this year -- and I think the 16 was after a Newman release.

The number I saw was closer to 20-21 mils after Newman's probable release

That number didnt take into account restructured contracts.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The number I saw was closer to 20-21 mils after Newman's probable release

That number didnt take into account restructured contracts.

Yeah I think Adam said that over on the dangerzone.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score

The rookie pool is actually pretty small. Something like around 2.5 mil.

Reaction score
Raiders expected to cut Kameron Wimbley

Unless there is a major change, it appears Oakland Raiders linebacker Kamerion Wimbley will be released according to Bill Williamson of ESPN.com. The Raiders and Wimbley’s agent have not talked in several days. Wimbley is open to being creative about a new contract that would allow the Raiders to restructure his contract and keep him. He is not interested in talking a pay cut.

The Raiders need to cut several million dollars to get under the salary cap by Tuesday. If Wimbley becomes a free agent, I would think the San Diego Chargers could be a favorite to land him. The Chargers will look at pass-rushers and Wimbley would be one of the better one on the market.

Reaction score
RT security? :confused

Giants won't bring back RT Kareem McKenzie
Mar
3/7/2012 6:55:11 PM Share on emailShare on printShare on twitterShare on facebookShare on myspaceShare on stumbleuponShare on digg| More Sharing ServicesMore

The New York Giants recently told RT Kareem McKenzie — who has manned the position for the Giants since 2005, starting 105 games in that span — to “go shopping” for another team, according to Tara Sullivan and Jeff Roberts of the Bergen Record citing a source in the organization. It will not bring him back for another season.

The discussion was not a surprise as McKenzie is an unrestricted free agent and will turn 33 in May. However he did start all 16 regular-season games the past two years.

The third-round pick in the 2001 draft began his career with the Jets

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Anybody know anything about Geoff Schwartz from Carolina?

He graded really well according to PFF at both OT and OG in '10. 2011 was a wash due to injuries. Was not tendered by Carolina. Is young and obviously offers positional flexibility which would make him a valuable add. Smacks of a Kyle Kosier-type signing.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
He graded really well according to PFF at both OT and OG in '10. 2011 was a wash due to injuries. Was not tendered by Carolina. Is young and obviously offers positional flexibility which would make him a valuable add. Smacks of a Kyle Kosier-type signing.

Yep, I saw the PFF thing ranking the top 75 free agents. Never heard of him before that. I do think a guy like that is more likely than a Nicks or Grubbs.

Reaction score
Report: Redskins to pursue Manningham
The Redskins may look to raid a division rival to upgrade its receiver corps.

Speaking to the Sports Junkies on 106.7 The Fan in Washington, Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk said that the Redskins are going to make a big effort to sign Giants wide receiver Mario Manningham.

When he last saw Manningham, the was making a nice catch of a 38-yard pass from Eli Manning, getting his feet inbounds to move the Giants from their 12 to midfield in the late going. New York went on to drive in for the game-winning touchdown.

Would Manningham be a good fit for the Redskins? It depends on the contract. The Redskins do need to upgrade their receiver corps, no doubt about it. And Manningham would represent and upgrad.

But if he gets paid close to what top free agent receivers like Vincent Jackson will get, in the neighborhood of $10 million per year, it would not be a good acquisition for the Redskins. Even at $7 million, the Redskins would be paying him like a No. 1 receiver when his production is that of a No. 2 or 3 receiver.

In 2011, Manningham caught 39 passes for 523 yards and four touchdowns. He missed four games with a knee injury. Playing a full season in 2010, he had 60 receptions for 944 yards and nine TD’s. Even the better season is more like a second wide receiver in a competent offense.

At something more like $5 million or so per year, Manningham could be a good acquisition. Even though when he came in he might be the No. 1 receiver, he wouldn’t remain that for long as the Redskins would continue to try to upgrade.

The feeling here is that some team with even more cap space than the Redskins have will pay Manningham well over his market value. It would be surprising to see the Super Bowl hero ending up in Washington.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom