Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I wish there was a spot on the game day roster for a clock/game manager.

Rev

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I would be happy with Carr, Finnegan or Grimes. Happy to some extent with Rogers, Marshall, Porter or Thomas.

Reaction score
I wanted Rogers last year, when he would've been cheap(er).

Now he's a year older, and probably looking to get paid as this is his last chance at a big payday.

My problem with all of them is their age. All are 28+.

Reaction score
So worry about that in 3 years. They'll get 4 year deals.

Well lose without spending anyway, and our dead money situation is only going to improve. So go get some sure things.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Texans owner Bob McNair said Thursday he plans to discuss a long-term contract with star running back Arian Foster this offseason, and he hopes to re-sign linebacker Mario Williams, who missed the majority of the 2011 season with a torn pectoral muscle.

"We'll be talking with his agent," said McNair about Foster's situation. "We'll see if we can't work out a long term deal for Arian. He's had a great two years and we said we'll talk about a long term deal and that's what we'll do."

Foster, who gained over 1,200 yards in just 13 games this season after leading the league with over 1,600 yards last year, is a restricted free agent.

McNair also reiterated that the team hopes to bring back Williams, an unrestricted free agent this offseason. Williams played in just five games this year before requiring surgery to repair a torn pectoral muscle. He missed the final three games of the 2010 season with a sports hernia. But McNair said that Williams has healed from his latest injury: "Mario said he could have played in the Cincinnati (playoff game). He was on injured reserve, though, and we couldn't bring him back. Certainly (retaining Williams) is going to be a focus of ours. We want to keep him and we're going to do everything we can to do that."

It is yet to be determined if the Texans will be able to sign their primary free agents, including Williams and extend Foster because the NFL's salary cap is not expected to rise much above the current $120 million. But the Texans may ask players to re-structure deals to make room under the cap. In Williams' case, it's unclear what his market value will be once free agency begins in March.

"It's just a question of where teams stand and how much room they have, I guess," said McNair.

McNair also said that franchising Williams is out of the question since his tag number would be nearly $23 million for 2012.

"We've been spending at the cap and, in some cases, over," McNair said about the club's flexibility to sign free agents. "We have limitations there as to what we might be able to do. We're going to use our money to keep our core players that are the foundation of the team."

The Texans will look into free agency after they attempt to bring back their own players whose contract has expired.

Besides Williams and Foster, the other primary free agents include center Chris Myers, kicker Neil Rackers, tight end Joel Dreessen, guard Mike Brisiel and cornerback Jason Allen.

In terms of his management team, while McNair did not commit to extending the contracts of coach Gary Kubiak and General Manager Rick Smith, it is expected that each will get at least one year added to their current agreement. Kubiak currently has one season remaining on his deal.

McNair also said that a team may still call about defensive coordinator Wade Phillips although no team has done so since Tampa bay requested permission in the first week of January.

"I haven't had any contact with anyone about any of our coaches," said McNair. "I think this is the best spot for (Phillips). He doesn't have anything to prove in terms of being a head coach. He's back home now and he's close to family... he's with a young team. I think all of those things are important to him.

BangersandMash

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Either Chris Myers or Mike Brisiel should be Redskins about 4 minutes into free agency. That is if anyone up their still has a functioning brain.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Might not mean anything but Justin Miller just Tweeted Abe Elam to talk to Rob Ryan for him.

abeelam Abe Elam
Bet U know Rome out here too RT @ItsGottaBeMillz: @abeelam tell Rob Ryan u need ur boy at that CB

Miller, age 27, was once the "Fastest Man in the NFL" and was a Pro Bowl return man in 2006. He played under Jerome Henderson with the Jets (06 thru 08) and under Ryan with the Raiders (208). He was out of football in 2011. Might be worth a camp invite. Low risk.

Reaction score
Report: Jets interested in signing Ravens LB Jarret Johnson

3/2/2012 6:35:51 AM | More

The Jets are interested in landing free agent outside linebacker Jarret Johnson, who played six seasons under coach Rex Ryan in Baltimore according to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. Johnson, who has spent the better part of his nine-year career in the shadows of stars like Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs and Haloti Ngata, appears to be an ideal fit for the Jets' scheme.

The Ravens have expressed their desire to re-sign Johnson. New Colts head coach Chuck Pagano, who was hired off the Ravens' staff, may also be interested in adding Johnson to his defense.

---------

He's a guy a few of you have stated interest in, assuming we gave Spencer the drop.

Reaction score
According to Aaron Wilson of the Carroll County Times, in addition to cutting Chris Carr, the Ravens also plan to cut WR Lee Evans and CB Domonique Foxworth.

---------

Lee Evans is a guy I'd give a look to if we don't resign Robinson.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
According to Aaron Wilson of the Carroll County Times, in addition to cutting Chris Carr, the Ravens also plan to cut WR Lee Evans and CB Domonique Foxworth.

---------

Lee Evans is a guy I'd give a look to if we don't resign Robinson.

Why? he was awful last year.

Reaction score
Why? he was awful last year.

I take that statement back. I forgot he's been in the league as long as he has been (2004).

His greatest assett is his speed, but at his age, he's likely only going to lose that.

Nevermind.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
so the skins tagged fred davis and jason laconfora is speculating that it means they are going to let landry walk.

if we fixed corner, added landry, a vet ilb, a rookie along the line we would have a chance to go out and do something on defense.

not sure why I like the idea of landry so much.....I dont even think he is that good...!

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
so the skins tagged fred davis and jason laconfora is speculating that it means they are going to let landry walk.

if we fixed corner, added landry, a vet ilb, a rookie along the line we would have a chance to go out and do something on defense.

not sure why I like the idea of landry so much.....I dont even think he is that good...!

I know there is the injury/steroid concern and you probably can't vision the Redskin stank off of him but when healthy, and I realize that's a big if, he's exactly the type of hard-nosed, big hitter our defense needs. Plus, the roid rage he would unleash on the Redskins 2 games a year might be worth it for me.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I know there is the injury/steroid concern and you probably can't vision the Redskin stank off of him but when healthy, and I realize that's a big if, he's exactly the type of hard-nosed, big hitter our defense needs. Plus, the roid rage he would unleash on the Redskins 2 games a year might be worth it for me.

I guess judd garretts breakdown of him kind of made me view him different. Maybe if this is how they view him he could end up here.
[video=youtube;4bmP398vrnM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bmP398vrnM[/video]

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yea no to 260 lb safeties

yeah watch the video, the last two plays against us and the eagles is an element we do not have. To put an incredible athlete back there to roam around would change things.

thats assuming we solve the corner issue and i guess bring back spencer and add a lineman.....but our secondary would be vastly different with carr/finnegan and landry.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom