Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys knew they were getting just about a sure thing when they took Zack Martin with their first round pick in May.

They just didn't know he would be this good, this fast.

"He's pretty good," coach Jason Garrett said in a massive understatement. "The biggest thing with him for me is he just plays so maturely for such a young guy and has right from the start. We put him in on minute one and he acted like he's been doing this for a long time at this level against really good players. Never seems too big for him. He has all the physical traits that you want to do it.

"He's strong. He's quick. He's explosive. He's got good hands. He's got good feet. He's mentally tough. He's physically tough. All those things. Now, he has to get a lot better, don't get me wrong. He ain't perfect by any means. But there's so much good there and the fact that he plays so maturely emotionally, as well as technically and otherwise, for a young guy is pretty impressive."

Martin started every game he played at Notre Dame at right and left tackle. He is 6-for-6 with the Cowboys at right guard.

Offensive line coach Bill Callahan believes that experience at tackle has helped Martin inside at guard because his athleticism stands out on the interior. Callahan also loves the perfectionist in Martin. He noticed Martin was down after getting tossed by Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt two weeks ago.

"I just kind of laughed and said, ‘Look it happens to everybody. Everybody is going to get rolled up. Everyone is going to get run over, get trucked as we call it. It happens.'" Callahan said. "It's just something that's going to happen to every lineman. He takes such great pride in what he does. Every time he takes a rep, he's competing to win everything he does. That's what you love about him. Every time he steps up to the plate he's trying to hit a home run."

Reaction score
Loved this pick. I was disappointed we didn't get either of the two big guards last year but the Frederick selection and Martin pick this year have been incredible.

Thank you Pittsburgh for taking Shazier.

Reaction score
Loved this pick. I was disappointed we didn't get either of the two big guards last year but the Frederick selection and Martin pick this year have been incredible.

Thank you Pittsburgh for taking Shazier.

the Frederick pick has been my favorite 1st round pick in a very long time! As soon as we picked him I was celebrating, even though tons were upset for the pick on the board I was posting on at the time. I loved it.

Reaction score
I like how most everyone was busting on the Cowboys for picking both Frederick and Martin what they thought was 'too early'.

I bet they have dont have much to say about them picks now. Jerry and crew got them 2 picks right.

So, we just MIGHT have to let him live. :clap

Reaction score
I like how most everyone was busting on the Cowboys for picking both Frederick and Martin what they thought was 'too early'.

I bet they have dont have much to say about them picks now. Jerry and crew got them 2 picks right.

So, we just MIGHT have to let him live. :clap
lets not get too carried away now :)

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Did anyone really say Martin went too early? I don't recall that.

As far as Frederick, even the Front Office admitted they took him higher than expected. They said there weren't any players with a first round grade left so they took a player with a 2nd round grade.

For me, Martin was a rare example of Jerry doing the right thing, or more likely, being ignored. With Frederick, they panicked, scrambled, and made good. Trading the family cow for magic beans doesn't become a good deal because it eventually led to the golden goose. I'm glad Frederick and Williams turned out to be very good picks from that draft but it still doesn't change that the front office freaked out and got beat in the trade down, despite the Cowboys creating a new draft value chart to justify it.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I also think it's funny (sad) that people want to give Jerry and Jason credit for drafting Frederick and Martin. Jerry couldn't stop telling people how badly he wanted Manziel. As far as the trade down that led to the Frederick pick, Jason Garrett was as much a part of that trade as you and I were. He might have been sitting in the war room but if you were watching the live feed, you saw an uninvolved Garrett sitting there staring into oblivion for a good 3 minutes. Meanwhile, the Jones clan were falling over to high-five each other.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I liked Frederick but thought the end of 1 was early. It worked out though.

Thought Martin was a great pick. Long term question is if you keep him at guard or move him to RT next year

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I had concerns about Martin's strength as a rookie at the guard position, but it hasn't been s problem. Very good pick. I have my doubts about Jerry getting credit for drafting him. He sure as hell didn't want to. That was a very sad war room when they picked Martin. Nobody was happy. Jerry was wanting to trade back and the phone calls never came from those wanting to trade up for Manziel and there was not a defensive player on the board that was rated high enough to be drafted at 16. Jerry and Stephen can say whatever they want, but Martin ended up being the pick due to a lack of options , with the exception of a Johnny Football.

Reaction score
Fredrick was a GREAT pick. The guy is playing his ass off ... and he has filled a position of glaring need.

Theoretically it could be that Fredrick might have been available 6 to 12 picks later ... but that doesn't mean he wasn't a great pick where he was picked (i.e., with the 31st choice of the first round). The Cowboys are certainly getting full 1st round value out of him.

Another way to look at this ... If the entire league knew on draft day just how well Fredrick would be playing today, it is quite likely that Fredrick would have been picked before the 31st pick in the first round.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I was at the draft party at the stadium. The MC there had the entire crowd chanting "Joh-nny foot-ball!" My bff that works for the 'Boys said they even went as far as having Manziel jerseys ALREADY made. When they took Martin; me, my gf, my friend, and this older guy next to us, were jumping up and down (literally) with joy. It's already been said, but those people wanting Johnny - ****** are feeling super retarded right now. *cough Jnday

Reaction score
Some of this logic reminds me of how religious people think. They give God credit for the good, but no blame for the bad stuff. If you blame Garrett and Jerry for all the bad stuff, you have to give them credit for the good aswell. If the Cowboys flop this Sunday, they wont have a problem blaming them again. Its dishonest logic.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Some of this logic reminds me of how religious people think. They give God credit for the good, but no blame for the bad stuff. If you blame Garrett and Jerry for all the bad stuff, you have to give them credit for the good aswell. If the Cowboys flop this Sunday, they wont have a problem blaming them again. Its dishonest logic.
18 years of .500 mediocrity notwithstanding.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I was at the draft party at the stadium. The MC there had the entire crowd chanting "Joh-nny foot-ball!" My bff that works for the 'Boys said they even went as far as having Manziel jerseys ALREADY made. When they took Martin; me, my gf, my friend, and this older guy next to us, were jumping up and down (literally) with joy. It's already been said, but those people wanting Johnny - ****** are feeling super retarded right now. *cough Jnday
If Romo gets hurt and Weeden takes over, fans will look at things differently. Manziel hasn't been a flop at this point of his career. If he isn't starting in a couple years, then he can be labeled as a bust. Fans are always saying that they wish a top QB prospect would drop in the draft so that the team could have Romo's replacement, but when it happens, they don't want to draft him. Martin was a very good pick if Romo stays healthy for a few more years. I see a situation where a repeat of the Q. Carter years could happen very easily. I know Jerry and Jason are looking like genius football guys at the moment, but that could change in a hurry.

Reaction score

I was sweating bullets when Manziel kept falling. BULLETS. I couldn't stand the wait knowing Jerry was creaming himself in anticipation of picking him. I even posted my annoyance on Facebook.

When the Martin pick was announced I just couldn't believe our good fortune. Not only had they avoided a colossal mistake, they actually signed someone who would impact all facets of the offense for years.

Manziel is too little and too weak to win in the NFL. He won't be able to take a fraction of the punishment NFL QB's take.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Did anyone really say Martin went too early? I don't recall that.

Some putzes in Cowboys forums, otherwise nobody

As far as Frederick, even the Front Office admitted they took him higher than expected. They said there weren't any players with a first round grade left so they took a player with a 2nd round grade.

I dont think there have been many (if any) drafts where there were truly 32 first round graded players on every teams draft board in any year, let alone last year.

For me, Martin was a rare example of Jerry doing the right thing, or more likely, being ignored

Sounds like Jerruh was completely ignored

With Frederick, they panicked, scrambled, and made good. Trading the family cow for magic beans doesn't become a good deal because it eventually led to the golden goose. I'm glad Frederick and Williams turned out to be very good picks from that draft but it still doesn't change that the front office freaked out and got beat in the trade down, despite the Cowboys creating a new draft value chart to justify it.

Eh...they got far more value by trading down, regardless of your position on the trade itself. Frederick and TW are very good starting calibar players, players SF would have been better off with themselves.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score

You are an idiot. I am sick of your crap. How many mods dicks did you suck to get a thread closed? You are a phony piece of shit.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
How many mods dicks did you suck to get a thread closed?
I locked the thread. It had nothing to do with xxx and everything to do with it being totally derailed, and we have a second thread on the same topic anyway.

You HAVE made your point though, with your find and quote witch hunt on xxx's anti-religious comments.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
You better close the threads with his uninformed religious comments or re-open the other one. I am sick of his bigotry. I appears he has a special status and can spout out any crap he wants.

It is not a witch hunt. I am simply pointing out that he is a phony piece of shit and that you will allow bigotry and religious hate.

Top Bottom