MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Getting torched on a regular basis, that's when he wasn't committing a very hurtful penalty (of which he was 2nd on the team after Doug Free). Can't tackle to save his worthless ass. He was a liability and a total 1st round draft BUST.

He was actually a pretty good tackler this year until he got hurt.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He was actually a pretty good tackler this year until he got hurt.
When they're on, watch last year's games but this time with a critical eye, and you'll change that opinion.

If he was such a good player and such a good tackler and all, he wouldn't be playing under a one year deal for a pittance compared to actual, good corners.

Remember - this was a first round pick we traded up to get and paid a fortune. And got nothing but a idiot who was a china doll to boot.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The beat writers are living in reality on the situation while the FO spin is fantasy. Multiple others have said the same.

The beat writers are 99% homeristic dumbasses. Spagnola, Brodus, Eatmon, all idiots.

Reaction score
Yeah, Claiborne wasn't just hurt a lot. He also pretty much sucked even when his mentally weak non-tackling pussy ass would play with boo-boos. He wasn't any good until five years into his contract.

He was never good. I posted his stats in another recent thread. There was no point at all in Mo's tenure, not even one game where you could say he played "good". The guy is not only the worst top 10 pick bust in Cowboys history, he is the biggest bust at CB in NFL history based upon expectations, draft position, and production once he began to play at the NFL level.

Reaction score
I also don't have a problem with them letting all those guys go. They had a proven track record of not being anything more than average, so why overpay to keep them?

Most of them were demonstrably well below average.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
he is the biggest bust at CB in NFL history based upon expectations, draft position, and production once he began to play at the NFL level.

He ranks up there, but Bruce Pickens was actually chosen 3rd overall by Atlanta and could hardly get on the field because he was so bad. Couldn't cover anyone. I think he was out of the league after only a few seasons.

Recently, Justin Gilbert and Dee Milliner were picked in the top-10 and both have been awful.

Reaction score
I also don't have a problem with them letting all those guys go. They had a proven track record of not being anything more than average, so why overpay to keep them?

Stevie is right, with this draft being relatively deep at DE and DB, the timing was good for us to have a makeover. There really are probably guys available in the middle rounds as good or better than what we let go, and they wont cost as much.

My only concern is, yeah, these guys were average at best and I celebrate them leaving. But... as mediocre as they were, they were starters. Meaning the guys behind them weren't as good as they were. Which is a scary thought.

So we lose them, and we're basically relying solely on the draft to replace them. But we only have what, 6 draft picks?

Idk.... as medicore as those guys were, it seems there will be a drop off to some extent.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He was never good. I posted his stats in another recent thread. There was no point at all in Mo's tenure, not even one game where you could say he played "good". The guy is not only the worst top 10 pick bust in Cowboys history, he is the biggest bust at CB in NFL history based upon expectations, draft position, and production once he began to play at the NFL level.

If true, you gotta hand it to the Cowboys because it only took them 5 years to figure this out

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
My only concern is, yeah, these guys were average at best and I celebrate them leaving. But... as mediocre as they were, they were starters. Meaning the guys behind them weren't as good as they were.
Exactly. To all the people elsewhere saying "They sucked, Heath is better anyway"... Then why wasn't he starting ahead of Wilcox and Church last year?

I wish someone would ask Steve that. He pretty much trashed everyone we let go, but no one asked why the supposed better players behind them were on the bench.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
My only concern is, yeah, these guys were average at best and I celebrate them leaving. But... as mediocre as they were, they were starters. Meaning the guys behind them weren't as good as they were. Which is a scary thought.

So we lose them, and we're basically relying solely on the draft to replace them. But we only have what, 6 draft picks?

Idk.... as medicore as those guys were, it seems there will be a drop off to some extent.

That's exactly my problem. We've done nothing over the past few years to prepare for this. With the exception of Dak this FO always seems to wait til it's too late to fix this roster.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

We have 7 draft picks and a slew of people saying there are 4-5 rounds worth of quality DB's.

Carr and Church were slow. Wilcox and Claiborne could move but couldn't play much (although will give credit for Wilcox improving this past year). None of them could play the ball and most of them were limited in downfield coverage ability.

Not sure there's much difference between Carr/Claiborne and the new CB we signed Carroll, except Carroll is actually pretty fast and has shown some ability to make plays. I think we saw Anthony Brown could play last year and at the very least should be the regular 3rd CB,if not a starter this year. Heath, like Wilcox was pretty improved under new safety coach Greg Jackson, I'm still skeptical he can be an every game starter but unlike Church and Wilcox he does have speed and range. I would think he could be at least as good as Wilcox (if not better) as the 3rd safety.

Those 4 guys we lost needed to be replaced. I think the odds are pretty good we upgrade form them and while young guys might mistakes, they will also be much faster and likely to have more playmaking ability too. The team speed as a whole needed to be improved, and it almost assuredly will be in the secondary by letting those guys go.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Again, though, if they were so bad and so easily replaced, why were they here and playing for so long? Church was here for seven years, Carr and Claiborne for five.

And to be clear, I don't think they're good, so I don't mind letting them go. I'm talking more about finding other FAs to replace them. Carroll is more an emergency body than an actual upgrade.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Again, though, if they were so bad and so easily replaced, why were they here and playing for so long? Church was here for seven years, Carr and Claiborne for five.

And to be clear, I don't think they're good, so I don't mind letting them go. I'm talking more about finding other FAs to replace them. Carroll is more an emergency body than an actual upgrade.

I guess we'll agree to disagree then. This seems pretty simple to me, not sure why its hard for some to grasp unless you just assume everyone we draft or trot out there will be awful.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Sucks that it took Wilcox his entire rookie contract to turn into something. He should be a cautionary tale of getting extremely raw players who have to make a position transition.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Sucks that it took Wilcox his entire rookie contract to turn into something. He should be a cautionary tale of getting extremely raw players who have to make a position transition.

Exactly. And of counting too heavily on rookies in general. Not everyone is a Dak or Zeke who get it right away. The vast majority aren't.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Again, though, if they were so bad and so easily replaced, why were they here and playing for so long?
Because Jerruh falls in love with players. Buys all the excuses. Doesn't mind if they're dumb. In fact, seems to prefer it.

Reaction score
I don't know if I'd classify Carrol as a playmaker or any sort of upgrade. I don't know his game at all, but I've not seen a single Eagles fan unhappy with his leaving the team. They all thought he was trash.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd classify Carrol as a playmaker or any sort of upgrade. I don't know his game at all, but I've not seen a single Eagles fan unhappy with his leaving the team. They all thought he was trash.

Go compare some of his numbers to Carr's and Caliborne's in terms of passes defensed and picks.

Then get back to me.

And its not that I think Carroll is "good". Its just compared to who he is replacing here, I don't see anything "worse"

He does have more speed than Carr or Claiborne has, and 3 times in last 4 years he has had double digit passes defensed.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I think the most damning statistic with regards to Claiborne was his appearance record. He missed a total of 33 games out of a possible 80.

In contrast, Carroll has missed a total of 11 games out of a possible 112.

Top Bottom