Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
[video=youtube;IoPMoczHPrQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoPMoczHPrQ[/video]

You can't say midget now.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Sometimes I have occasion to be in rural Oklahoma where there's a very high Indian/Native American/Redskin population... I've seen a couple of guys who really did have the reddest skin I've ever seen. It's kind of cool, really, because I have some interest in their culture. One day if I strike up a conversation with a couple of them and I can work it in, I'm going to ask them about this.

I really don't know what they'd say. My sense is that they have a lot thicker skin than the lily white PC police who are looking for something to be offended about, and would say they don't care. But I don't know. To me, "Redskin" seems... Impolite and antiquated, but not on its face offensive. What is wrong with mentioning the color of someone's skin... It doesn't necessarily imply anything negative.

The way things are going, and despite what Snyder has said, I bet it gets changed before too many more years pass.

Reaction score
Roger Goodell proved why again he's a huge sack of shit for his little letter defending the name.

The fact that the team name was coined by the racist, in order to be racist, pretty much eliminates all opposing arguments.

I can see why tribes would want to keep names like "Fighting Sioux" or "Braves" around, but there's nothing to be proud of over "Redskin" either. Racism aside, it's just a shitty name with zero intimidation factor.

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
Redskin is a racial slur, just not an offensive on (like cracker).

And if you have never heard it used, you have never been mad an injun.

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
Roger Goodell proved why again he's a huge sack of shit for his little letter defending the name.

The fact that the team named was coined by the racist, in order to be racist, pretty much eliminates all opposing arguments.

I can see why tribes would want to keep names like "Fighting Sioux" or "Braves" around, but there's nothing to be proud of over "Redskin" either. Racism aside, it's just a shitty name with zero intimidation factor.

Zero intimidation???? Naked bloodthirsty heathen savages out to scalp and rape, not intimidating?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
original.gif

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I just fail to see how it's offensive. If there was a team called the Whiteskins I wouldn't be offended.

Reaction score
Zero intimidation???? Naked bloodthirsty heathen savages out to scalp and rape, not intimidating?

It's more synonymous with a drunk diabetic asking to bum a cigarette as you're filling gas at Texaco these days.

Which ironically is a good representation of what Snyder's team has become.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I have better things to do besides find things to get offended about.

Every offseason there's a column written about how "racist" the name Redskins is when there's nothing else to write about. White liberal douchebags are the only ones offended by it.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
In terms of its origins, the word is merely descriptive, not racist. White settlers didn't have the benefit of the term "Native Americans," so "redskins" sufficed. Similarly, Indians used "pale face" to describe (not disparage) whites. Just as "colored" (descriptive) is not the same as "******" (insulting).

Reaction score
Redskins is a slur, and it's still used deprecatingly in certain regions. Obviously, holding on to anger about slurs is what gives them power, but this situation is no different from renaming them the "Yellow Faces". Plus, as I said, it was coined by an openly racist owner for the sole purpose of being a racial slur. Just because some people aren't offended by it, surely doesn't mean that it's not offensive.

Also, I doubt anyone here would go up to a random native american dude and say "hey, redskin!" or "I didn't know you were a redskin". Yeah, probably because you wouldn't want to offend him.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
It's not a slur; it's an anachronism. It's only a "slur" by modern-day standards.

Reaction score
Sometimes I have occasion to be in rural Oklahoma where there's a very high Indian/Native American/Redskin population... I've seen a couple of guys who really did have the reddest skin I've ever seen. It's kind of cool, really, because I have some interest in their culture. One day if I strike up a conversation with a couple of them and I can work it in, I'm going to ask them about this.

I really don't know what they'd say. My sense is that they have a lot thicker skin than the lily white PC police who are looking for something to be offended about, and would say they don't care. But I don't know. To me, "Redskin" seems... Impolite and antiquated, but not on its face offensive. What is wrong with mentioning the color of someone's skin... It doesn't necessarily imply anything negative.

The way things are going, and despite what Snyder has said, I bet it gets changed before too many more years pass.
if you get in the midst of a friendly conversation and just ask them to their face if the term is offensive (like in a poll), they will probably say it's not. But if you use it to refer to them in a derogatory manner, I'm betting they would say it is.

I probably wouldn't say I was offended if someone just asked me if I thought the term "cracker" was offensive. But I would probably take offense if someone called me a cracker in an argument.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I say we all drink some fire water, topped off by a few puffs on the peace pipe.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Suck a dick Laz.

You'd know mkore about that than me.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013...ould-be-offended-if-redskins-did-change-name/

“I think that first of all, you have to make a decision whether you consider it offensive or not, and frankly, the members of my tribe, the vast majority, don’t find it offensive,” Green said. “I’ve been a Redskins fan for years and to be honest with you, I would be offended if they did change it.”

'Redskins' mascot acceptable, poll says
More than 90 percent of American Indians not bothered by name
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/6093796

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/02/poll-shows-high-support-for-redskins-name/
An Associated Press poll conducted form April 11 through 15 of 1,004 adults found that 79 percent didn’t believe the Redskins should change their name.

I don't give a shit about some fucking poll. I tell you what. Come up to Minnesota, there are plenty of Native Americans up here--- can't throw a rock without hitting one of them, and call them a 'Redskin", and see what the fuck would happen. I promise you will get the same reaction, if you were to go up to a Black person and call them the N-word.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If a team was called the N-word, I think I would support a change of name as well.

To be clear I'm not out there publicly asking the Redskins to change their name. I think it's pretty sad that probably the most racist NFL franchise historically continues to cling to a racist nickname. I also think it's funny/ironic when the most vocal friend of mine who is a Redskins fan is black.

I also think it would be funny if little Danny Snyder was forced to change the name. I would think it was funny if Jerry Jones were forced to hire a GM. I like it when people who get drunk on their perceived power are shown that they're not as powerful as they think they are.

Especially when a onetime owner of the Redskins, wouldn't allow Blacks to play on his team.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
My question is: why now? The word "redskin" is no more offensive today than it was five years ago, 10 years ago, or 20 years ago. Why the sudden groundswell to get it changed?

Where the fuck you been? This has been a longstanding issues, it's not been just now. People like you just didn't pay attention, that's why you think it's only 'now'.

Top Bottom