Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You guys are giving this way too much thought and looking for ghosts.
I don't see that applying to me. I have been saying expose him to the open market from Day One.

Problem isn't as much Dak overvaluing Dak, it's Jerry and his spawn overvaluing Dak too. The rest of the league, would not.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't see that applying to me. I have been saying expose him to the open market from Day One.

Problem isn't as much Dak overvaluing Dak, it's Jerry and his spawn overvaluing Dak too. The rest of the league, would not.

I should have quoted dbair but I agree with you. I'm not so sure anyone would have given 2 #1's but I don't think we would have lost in either way. I'd take 2 #1's and look for a QB in the draft. I get it....no guarantee but I already know what we have in Prescott.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I think what I said the other day may have more truth to it than some believed.

Perhaps Prescott just doesn't want to be in Dallas THAT much. He said some of the right things publicly but actions speak louder than words. Broaddus and now JJT (both of whom I don't put a ton of faith in by the way) are essentially both saying Prescott doesn't have a contract extension now because he very well might not want to be here.

Next off-season is going to be pretty interesting.

He could possibly try to force his way to NY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Number1

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Dak is not a Cowboys because he over-valued his worth, just like a lot of fans do. He thinks he's one of the best in the game and he'd be here if we paid him what he wanted.

there you go again thinking you can read other people's minds

and by the way, he is a Cowboy

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
there you go again thinking you can read other people's minds

and by the way, he is a Cowboy

I have the gift of logic. He's not signed long term because he got greedy and thought he was worth more. Some of us know better....even Jerry.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I have the gift of logic. He's not signed long term because he got greedy and thought he was worth more. Some of us know better....even Jerry.

According to numerous reports, it isn't the money. It was still the hangup on the number of years.

Saying "he got greedy and thought he was worth more" is probably not a factually correct statement.

Last edited:

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
According to numerous reports, it isn't the money. It was still the hangup on the number of years.

Saying "he got greedy and thought he was worth more" is not a factual statement.

You can frame it any way you want. It was greed. Plain and simple and the end game was to make more money. Now, don't get me wrong. If someone is worth it, especially a QB, you pay it. Dak isn't worth it at this point in time. If he carries the team to the SB, then it's a different discussion.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You can frame it any way you want. It was greed. Plain and simple and the end game was to make more money. Now, don't get me wrong. If someone is worth it, especially a QB, you pay it. Dak isn't worth it at this point in time. If he carries the team to the SB, then it's a different discussion.

The more I think about it now, maybe the greed thing is legit. He wants the shorter term deal so he can cash in again bigtime (potentially) but in the end, I still think he is listening to really bad advice from his agents.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The more I think about it now, maybe the greed thing is legit. He wants the shorter term deal so he can cash in again bigtime (potentially) but in the end, I still think he is listening to really bad advice from his agents.

I think so too. These agents play hardball which I can understand, to a certain point. But if the owner(s) have bad experiences with agents, I can understand why they won't like dealing with them and open the floodgates for other players.

I actually think Jerry and company played this one the right way and I have no doubt they would have paid Dak accordingly had he carried the team to the SB. They see what I see in Dak. An average QB that has some intangibles and can keep the team in the hunt for the playoffs that would keep the stands full and money flowing. But he's no Aikman or Staubach.

Number1

Practice Squad
Reaction score

has it occurred to you money in an of itself is not the sole motivator of men?

no one has responded on a comment I made earlier in this thread "maybe Dak is as confident in JJ as we are"

and then there's a new head coach Dak don't know ... could be Dak wants a season working with MM before signing a long term deal - the dollars and terms may be very secondary to a hunt for SB rings and the HOF, he don't lack confidence

but keep thinking you have logically figured out someone else's motives if it helps your ego

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
has it occurred to you money in an of itself is not the sole motivator of men?

no one has responded on a comment I made earlier in this thread "maybe Dak is as confident in JJ as we are"

and then there's a new head coach Dak don't know ... could be Dak wants a season working with MM before signing a long term deal - the dollars and terms may be very secondary to a hunt for SB rings and the HOF, he don't lack confidence

but keep thinking you have logically figured out someone else's motives if it helps your ego

If money is not the motivator in these negotiations with Dak, then the Cowboys should have just offered him a million dollars and called it a day. Let's not talk silly. He changed agents to get him what he thought he was worth and he picked agents that were hard ballers over.....wait for it.....wait for it......money.

Also, Dak had an offer on the table before the Red Dolt was fired so your idea that he turned the money down to work with MM before signing a long term deal is silly. Dak bet on himself after a hot start then the real Dak showed up.

Number1

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Also, Dak had an offer on the table before the Red Dolt was fired ...

so? isn't that just the sort of thing that would give a QB pause? the HC on the hot seat for years?
dude, JJ has parted ways with 4 SB winning coaches - how much confidence do you have in JJ?

Dak bet on himself after a hot start then the real Dak showed up."

yep, and led the NFL in passing - and the deal offered got better - he's still betting on himself
after 4 years the kid is tied with Romo with the 5th highest QBR all time, he has reason to bet on himself

not at all sure he has reason to bet on JJ or MM (and he barely knows MM)
IMO, MM is an upgrade to JG, but when last seen on a NFL sideline in 2018 he was 4-7-1
and got fired after an extended drama with the franchise QB all time NFL highest rated passer
the same team went to the NFC title game in 2019 - and I've never heard a GB fan express regret he's gone

think about that for a minute, especially when Rodger's complaint was that MM wanted him in the pocket more and throwing deep less ... those are among Dak's strong suites
would you be jumping up and down to be MM's next franchise QB? with JJ calling the shots?

perhaps even you see my point - Dak has been a mentally solid from day 1 as a pro and no parts of drama queen
:) that can't be said of JJ or MM - if your goal were SB rings and HOF would you bet your future on those guys?

but hey, maybe none of that matters and Dak is as simple as your greedy argument, but I doubt it

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
imagine what aaron rodgers could do in this offense. right now the story is writing itself. resents the packers for trading up to draft a qb in the 1st round. doesnt have the best relationship w/ the HC. maybe he would welcome being re-united w/ mccarthy?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
imagine what aaron rodgers could do in this offense. right now the story is writing itself. resents the packers for trading up to draft a qb in the 1st round. doesnt have the best relationship w/ the HC. maybe he would welcome being re-united w/ mccarthy?

He had a horrible relationship (reportedly) with McCarthy and was supposedly key in getting him run out of Green Bay.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
so? isn't that just the sort of thing that would give a QB pause? the HC on the hot seat for years?
dude, JJ has parted ways with 4 SB winning coaches - how much confidence do you have in JJ?

he only "fired" Tom Landry because the other regime botched how it the sale was going down. Supposedly Jerry made it clear all through the buying process that he would not retain Landry. As much as I loved Landry (we all did) he was way past his prime as a HC and probably should have retired after the 85 or 86 seasons. We would have never been a championship team with Landry remaining as HC.

The Jimmy thing was mostly on Jerry, but Jimmy made it known he didn't want to fulfill the 10 year contract he had and wanted out as well.

He fired Switzer, yeah well that had to happen. Even Jerry admitted after the fact he should have replaced Switzer after the 95 Super Bowl, but he didnt and the team regressed more and more.

Jones didn't fire Bill Parcells, Parcells walked away. As it turned out he held onto Parcells way too long too, as they (Jones & Parcells) should have decided what was best for the franchise long term was to promote Sean Payton when it was apparent he was going to land a HC gig (turned down Oakland, eventually went to New Orleans). Parcells was not the HC he was in NY or New England and IMO he only came back for the money. Deserves all sorts of credit for helping revamp the scouting department and culture, but I thought he was mediocre as a HC here.

Jones is an idiot, but he admitted he was probably hurting the team by replacing coaches as often as he did. I think that played a big part in him making the ultimate mistake of holding onto Red Turd way too long. The fact he stuck with such a mediocre coach like Garrett as long as he did for the sake of continuity (at least partly) is something most coaches would look at and like as they now believe Jones will stick beside them rather than cut and run at the first sign of trouble.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

We all know that Jerry was looking for an excuse to re-sign Garrett who kept Jerry in his comfort zone. The team started out hot and Dak got greedy. He bet on himself and lost. Everyone sees this but you.

yep, and led the NFL in passing - and the deal offered got better - he's still betting on himself
after 4 years the kid is tied with Romo with the 5th highest QBR all time, he has reason to bet on himself

not at all sure he has reason to bet on JJ or MM (and he barely knows MM)
IMO, MM is an upgrade to JG, but when last seen on a NFL sideline in 2018 he was 4-7-1
and got fired after an extended drama with the franchise QB all time NFL highest rated passer
the same team went to the NFC title game in 2019 - and I've never heard a GB fan express regret he's gone

think about that for a minute, especially when Rodger's complaint was that MM wanted him in the pocket more and throwing deep less ... those are among Dak's strong suites
would you be jumping up and down to be MM's next franchise QB? with JJ calling the shots?

perhaps even you see my point - Dak has been a mentally solid from day 1 as a pro and no parts of drama queen
:) that can't be said of JJ or MM - if your goal were SB rings and HOF would you bet your future on those guys?

but hey, maybe none of that matters and Dak is as simple as your greedy argument, but I doubt it

You keep believing that Dak is betting on himself. Every player wants the security of a long term contract and the Cowboys were looking to make him one of the highest paid players. Personally, he's risking getting injured as a running QB which makes a guaranteed contract all that more important.

And if my goal is a SB, I'm not betting on Dak either. Neither is Jerry or the team.

Number1

Practice Squad
Reaction score
We all know that Jerry was looking for an excuse to re-sign Garrett who kept Jerry in his comfort zone. The team started out hot and Dak got greedy. He bet on himself and lost. Everyone sees this but you.

You keep believing that Dak is betting on himself. Every player wants the security of a long term contract and the Cowboys were looking to make him one of the highest paid players. Personally, he's risking getting injured as a running QB which makes a guaranteed contract all that more important.

And if my goal is a SB, I'm not betting on Dak either. Neither is Jerry or the team.

insurance policies are for sale personally I don't want a QB not willing and able to run over a LB if need be.

:) if JJ wasn't willing to bet on Dal ... why offer a 9 digit contract?

dude - Dak's price rises each year because he's a workaholic and keeps improving
barring injury he knows he'll be better each year because that's what he does

The NFL is about toughness, especially mental toughness. And that is worth more than money.

Top Bottom