MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
You've been saying this for a while now and it hasn't happened. And it won't happen this year. Dak will get franchised and have to earn Mahomes and top QB money by leading his team to the playoffs.

And the reason Dak is even remotely in this discussion is because the team had to trade a first round pick for a WR because Dak can't make anyone better. We've already spent massive resources to help Dak succeed because he's proven he can't win without a Pro-Bowlers all over the offense. I'd have rather used that #1 we spent on Cooper and used it as collateral to trade up/down and maneuver in the draft for a QB we identified.

You might be right about getting franchised. He’ll earn the average of the top 5 QB’s this year and if he has good (not great) season then they will sign him long term. If they do that, then he’s definitely getting $40 mil (if not more) once he does sign.

I’m honestly kind of surprised you guys don’t see it. The writing is all over the wall. If they had plans to not go with Dak they would have drafted someone else by now. I don’t see them turning to free agency to bring in a FA QB. I mean, who would you go with? Dalton? Mariota? Jamis? Dalton maybe but overall Dak is better than those guys.

I still think this is all about both sides waiting in the new cap number. They’re expecting it to be much higher because of the gambling money. If the cap goes up considerably Dak is going to get $40 mil. If it doesn’t he’ll get franchises and get his $40+ next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
True.

But at this point I wouldn't even try to sign Cooper. Gallup is better.

I would pay Dak and the franchise Cooper in order to trade him. No team will give you two 1st but they might be able to get one 1st back. I agree that Gallup is good enough to be a #1, then bring back Cobb. It’s a deep WR class so you can realistically grade a young guy in the 2nd or 3rd round.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I think they'll sign a veteran to replace Cooper Rush as the backup, and possibly look to draft a 3rd developmental QB in the middle to late rounds.

That’s what I hope they do. They’ve honestly been very lucky with Dak’s health. I have zero faith in Cooper Rush.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
We can all wax poetic about what to do with Dak

But in the end, he will be signed, he will be signed to a mega deal, no one here will agree with the number he gets, and none of that matters because it’s still going to happen regardless of anyone’s opinion besides McCarthy, the Joneses and Dak himself

Exactly!

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I don't agree with that. Gallup is a good #2 but he scares no one as a #1.

And just to add...it your point was true, we woudn't have needed to burn a 1st round pick to get a #1 WR if we thought Gallup fit that bill.

I don’t think Gallup was ready then. He’s progressed quite a bit since then. If he makes another leap like he did this year (which is a realistic possibility) he’ll be ready to be a #1. Then bring back Cobb and draft a guy in the middle rounds to develop.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Would you trade 2 #1's for Mahomes after his rookie deal? How about Rodgers? Brady? Luck? Brees? That fact that you don't think Dak is worth 2 #1's is very telling what your opinion of him is.

If they franchise Dak it won’t be with the hope of trading him. They will be franchising him in order to give themselves more time before paying him big.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I can agree with a lot of this. But Dak is pricing himself out of Dallas and, while you and some others may not see it (yet), it's a blessing in disguise.

Dak wants to be the highest paid QB in the NFL. Not happening. I'm liking the way this thing is playing out. No need to sign him long term now. If McCarthy thinks he can win big with Dak, then sign him to franchise money. But then McCarthy will be on the hook for Dak's success or failure. I'm not banking my coaching reputation on Dak Prescott.

I really hope you’re right, I just don’t think you will be.

So if they don’t go with Dak who do you think they will replace him with?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I’m honestly kind of surprised you guys don’t see it. The writing is all over the wall. If they had plans to not go with Dak they would have drafted someone else by now. I don’t see them turning to free agency to bring in a FA QB. I mean, who would you go with? Dalton? Mariota? Jamis? Dalton maybe but overall Dak is better than those guys.

I think McCarthy is being genuine about his belief in Prescott, but your statement above doesnt mean much when Dak was brought up and played in another coaches system for 4 yrs. The new coaching staff might get in there, work with him and decide something totally different.

I still think its likely he gets a long term deal this offseason, but if he plays on the franchise tag and doesnt play well you can take it to the bank that the new HC will be looking to broaden his QB options in year two.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I think McCarthy is being genuine about his belief in Prescott, but your statement above doesnt mean much when Dak was brought up and played in another coaches system for 4 yrs. The new coaching staff might get in there, work with him and decide something totally different.

I still think its likely he gets a long term deal this offseason, but if he plays on the franchise tag and doesnt play well you can take it to the bank that the new HC will be looking to broaden his QB options in year two.

Yea but you expect him to not play well? He’s not going to light the world on fire but he should continue to be a solid QB. Just by doing that the Jones will pay him. It would take an epic meltdown and regression for them to move on from Dak.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yea but you expect him to not play well? He’s not going to light the world on fire but he should continue to be a solid QB. Just by doing that the Jones will pay him. It would take an epic meltdown and regression for them to move on from Dak.

We'll see I guess, but yesterdays announcement about the playcalling duties and basic offensive system info (no terminology changes) would lead one to believe that Prescott might indeed be in an evaluation year.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I really hope you’re right, I just don’t think you will be.

So if they don’t go with Dak who do you think they will replace him with?

If Dak doesn't take the team to playoff run next year, I'd bet they draft a QB. Heck, I'd bet they'll draft a QB this year that McCarthy can groom even as a back-up.

I want Dak to succeed so lets hope a new coach can help him improve.

Last edited:

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I would pay Dak and the franchise Cooper in order to trade him. No team will give you two 1st but they might be able to get one 1st back. I agree that Gallup is good enough to be a #1, then bring back Cobb. It’s a deep WR class so you can realistically grade a young guy in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I'm in the camp that part of Gallup's success is b/c he plays with Cooper and not sure he translates to a number #1 but don't think that b/c he couldn't do it in his 2nd yr means he can't do it...I've always heard it takes 3yr for WRs to really show what they are all about.
I'm also in the camp , in this case, of taking the known vs. the unknown especially when it comes to WRs...rarely does the stud WR in college translate to the NFL and this team cannot wait 3yrs to get a WR up to speed (unless you assume Gallup can be a #1 while the college guy acclimates to the NFL)
And I don't think Dak elevates these WRs, actually the other way around, so I want Cooper back and paired with Gallup and Cobb thats a solid corps...and again I want to see what Jarwin can do especially in a West Coast offense

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
If Dak doesn't take the team to playoff run next year, I'd bet they draft a QB. Heck, I'd bet they'll draft a QB this year that McCarthy can groom even as a back-up.

I want Dak to succeed so lets hope a new coach can help him improve.

So you think they would go with a rookie QB in MM’s 2nd year? I just don’t see them doing that. I also do not think this will be an evaluation year for Dak. He’s their guy. The ONLY thing that would change my mind in that is if they draft a QB within the first two rounds this year. If they don’t already have a young prospect on board I don’t see them letting Dak walk.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'm in the camp that part of Gallup's success is b/c he plays with Cooper and not sure he translates to a number #1 but don't think that b/c he couldn't do it in his 2nd yr means he can't do it...I've always heard it takes 3yr for WRs to really show what they are all about.
I'm also in the camp , in this case, of taking the known vs. the unknown especially when it comes to WRs...rarely does the stud WR in college translate to the NFL and this team cannot wait 3yrs to get a WR up to speed (unless you assume Gallup can be a #1 while the college guy acclimates to the NFL)
And I don't think Dak elevates these WRs, actually the other way around, so I want Cooper back and paired with Gallup and Cobb thats a solid corps...and again I want to see what Jarwin can do especially in a West Coast offense

What scares me about Cooper is how he faded in the last two games and how bad his numbers were on the road this year. That’s not a guy that I want them giving almost $20 mil to (because that’s what he will ask for).

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
What scares me about Cooper is how he faded in the last two games and how bad his numbers were on the road this year. That’s not a guy that I want them giving almost $20 mil to (because that’s what he will ask for).

Totally agree that we need more consistency from him and the price tag worries me. I'd be ok with $12-$15M b/c that about where he lands in the WR spectrum.
He's not elite but we've done this to ourselves as far as the value he has for us.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Predicting Dak signs for 5 years at $180 mils at $38 mil per year

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

Predicting Dak signs for 5 years at $180 mils at $38 mil per year

I still think he gets $40 per but I could see $38. It’s going to be in that range.

Top Bottom