Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Trade is out of the question, nobody's gonna want to pay him when they can draft a qb and pay rookie deal dollars for four years.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We can all wax poetic about what to do with Dak

But in the end, he will be signed, he will be signed to a mega deal, no one here will agree with the number he gets, and none of that matters because it’s still going to happen regardless of anyone’s opinion besides McCarthy, the Joneses and Dak himself

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
True.

But at this point I wouldn't even try to sign Cooper. Gallup is better.

I don't agree with that. Gallup is a good #2 but he scares no one as a #1.

And just to add...it your point was true, we woudn't have needed to burn a 1st round pick to get a #1 WR if we thought Gallup fit that bill.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Trade is out of the question, nobody's gonna want to pay him when they can draft a qb and pay rookie deal dollars for four years.

Would you trade 2 #1's for Mahomes after his rookie deal? How about Rodgers? Brady? Luck? Brees? That fact that you don't think Dak is worth 2 #1's is very telling what your opinion of him is.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We can all wax poetic about what to do with Dak

But in the end, he will be signed, he will be signed to a mega deal, no one here will agree with the number he gets, and none of that matters because it’s still going to happen regardless of anyone’s opinion besides McCarthy, the Joneses and Dak himself

How do you know? If he's tagged and sucks while we sit home again next year, he's gone.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Would you trade 2 #1's for Mahomes after his rookie deal? How about Rodgers? Brady? Luck? Brees? That fact that you don't think Dak is worth 2 #1's is very telling what your opinion of him is.
Never 2 #1s for any of them. 2 number ones, AND eat the monster contract? No way.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
How do you know? If he's tagged and sucks while we sit home again next year, he's gone.

For us NOT to sign him he would have to completely shit the bed

It hasn’t happened yet, and I don’t see it happening this coming season now that Garrett is gone

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
For us NOT to sign him he would have to completely shit the bed

It hasn’t happened yet, and I don’t see it happening this coming season now that Garrett is gone

Don't agree. What if we go 9 and 7 or 8 and 8? Is that shitting the bed? KC went 12 and 4 with Smith and went out and drafted a QB. I think when you identify your ceiling with a QB and that ceiling is an occasional playoff win, you don't give him top QB money.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Never 2 #1s for any of them. 2 number ones, AND eat the monster contract? No way.

I'd trade 2 #1's for a franchise QB in a heartbeat and I'd bet most folks would. I'd even think you're in the minority on this one.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think we'd all agreee to trade the #1 pick in the draft for a franchise pick, so its not a stretch at all to throw in another 1st rounder to get a franchise QB

the net extra cost is 1 pick

Plus, I don't think any team would trade a pick that could grab a franchise QB for only 2 first rounders but if they would, two 1st round picks is a no brainer imo

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Don't agree. What if we go 9 and 7 or 8 and 8? Is that shitting the bed? KC went 12 and 4 with Smith and went out and drafted a QB. I think when you identify your ceiling with a QB and that ceiling is an occasional playoff win, you don't give him top QB money.

That’s what other teams may do

It’s not what the Cowboys do

And going 8-8 is not shitting the bed. That is perfectly acceptable to Jerry

See Jason Garrett and Tony Romo’s tenure here as an example

Have the last two decades of being a Cowboy fan taught you nothing?

Last edited:

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That’s what other teams may do

It’s not what the Cowboys do

And going 8-8 is not shitting the bed. That is perfectly acceptable to Jerry

See Jason Garrett and Tony Romo’s tenure here as an example

Have the last two decades of being a Cowboy fan taught you nothing?

So in our discussion, are you giving me your opinion or Jerry's? It sounded like you were giving me your opinion since you used the word "I" in your post. Or do you not have an independent thought outside of what Jerry tells you to think?

Bottom line is that Dak isn't signed and he's not signed for a reason so all this talk about Jerry just throwing money at him is meaningless and cheap. They're at an impasse and Dak lost money this past season. He's probably thinking he'll make it up because Mahomes will set a new ceiling.

BTW, that's MY opinion, not Jerry's.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
So in our discussion, are you giving me your opinion or Jerry's? It sounded like you were giving me your opinion since you used the word "I" in your post. Or do you not have an independent thought outside of what Jerry tells you to think?

Bottom line is that Dak isn't signed and he's not signed for a reason so all this talk about Jerry just throwing money at him is meaningless and cheap. They're at an impasse and Dak lost money this past season. He's probably thinking he'll make it up because Mahomes will set a new ceiling.

BTW, that's MY opinion, not Jerry's.

Ok, where to start?

First, just so there is no confusion, “I” believe Dak “should” be signed, and “I” believe he “will” be signed, and I believe he will be signed for more than he is worth. That is the Jerry way

Maybe not in this offseason because they will tag him if they can’t get his deal done in time. If that happens then he signs before the next season

You stated that Dak isn’t signed for a reason. That is correct. You make it sound like that was a Jerry decision not to sign him because he doesn’t believe Dak is “the guy”

Nothing could be further from the truth considering the $30+ mil a year offer Jerry made. So all this “talk about throwing money at him” isn’t meaningless and cheap. It’s already happened

The fact is, the reason Dak isn’t signed to this day is because he wanted more money. It has nothing to do with the Cowboys believing that he “is their guy moving forward” as Jerry has said in a number of interviews. I’m fact Jerry will tell you every chance he gets that Dak is the QB of the future for the Dallas Cowboys

When Dak does finally sign we will all be wishing he took Jerry’s original offer from this past off season

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, where to start?

First, just so there is no confusion, “I” believe Dak “should” be signed, and “I” believe he “will” be signed, and I believe he will be signed for more than he is worth. That is the Jerry way

Maybe not in this offseason because they will tag him if they can’t get his deal done in time. If that happens then he signs before the next season

You stated that Dak isn’t signed for a reason. That is correct. You make it sound like that was a Jerry decision not to sign him because he doesn’t believe Dak is “the guy”

Nothing could be further from the truth considering the $30+ mil a year offer Jerry made. So all this “talk about throwing money at him” isn’t meaningless and cheap. It’s already happened

The fact is, the reason Dak isn’t signed to this day is because he wanted more money. It has nothing to do with the Cowboys believing that he “is their guy moving forward” as Jerry has said in a number of interviews. I’m fact Jerry will tell you every chance he gets that Dak is the QB of the future for the Dallas Cowboys

When Dak does finally sign we will all be wishing he took Jerry’s original offer from this past off season

I can agree with a lot of this. But Dak is pricing himself out of Dallas and, while you and some others may not see it (yet), it's a blessing in disguise.

Dak wants to be the highest paid QB in the NFL. Not happening. I'm liking the way this thing is playing out. No need to sign him long term now. If McCarthy thinks he can win big with Dak, then sign him to franchise money. But then McCarthy will be on the hook for Dak's success or failure. I'm not banking my coaching reputation on Dak Prescott.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I can agree with a lot of this. But Dak is pricing himself out of Dallas and, while you and some others may not see it (yet), it's a blessing in disguise.

Dak wants to be the highest paid QB in the NFL. Not happening. I'm liking the way this thing is playing out. No need to sign him long term now. If McCarthy thinks he can win big with Dak, then sign him to franchise money. But then McCarthy will be on the hook for Dak's success or failure. I'm not banking my coaching reputation on Dak Prescott.

I actually don’t think he is. He just led the league in passing yards for most of the season. He also came 1 yard away from setting the Cowboy single season passing yards record. Jerry eats that shit up!

I just don’t see any possible way that we don’t get married to Dak long term unless he goes full Ryan Leaf/JaMarcus Russell on us this coming season. And he has shown zero signs that that might happen. I actually see him getting better with the new coaching he will have. He will likely struggle with a new system some, but in the end I believe he will show improvement this next year. I hope he does. Maybe MM’s QB skool will help with his improve his accuracy.

As soon as Dak tied the Cowboys franchise record for regular season wins in his rookie year and broke Tom Brady’s most completions without and interception record to start a career AND became the rookie of the year AND took us to the playoffs in his first year AND made the pro bowl in his first year Jerry has been dying to pay the man. He’s joked about how much money Dak is going to make, and he’s joked about Dak being the highest paid QB in the league when he does sign a new contract. Jerry can’t wait to sign that check.

“If” Dak signs before Mahomes then I can easily see Jerry making Dak the highest paid player in the NFL at the time. But if Dak waits till Mahomes signs then he will end up a few mils short of what Mahomes gets per year. Because there is no way Dak or his agent can ask for more than Mahomes. But either way, he will be signed for a shit ton more money than we have already offered him. I see him in the $36-38 range by the time it’s done.

Not that I believe he deserves that much. But it’s the whole next man up situation when it comes to signing a franchise QB. How long does that QB hold the title as the highest paid player in the NFL? Typically until the next QB signs their deal. It’s just the nature of the beast.

Hardly any of them deserve to be the highest paid player in the league when they get signed. Yet we see it time and time again and year after year. More often than not the next QB to sign his big contract becomes the highest paid player in he league. And rarely is that QB the actual best QB in the league at the time. One “usually” has nothing to do with the other

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Dude stop the fucking whining about Dak. It's very ovarian at this point. Like a scorned woman. Dak is going to be franchised, which is a good thing. He has one year under McCarthey to see what can be done. If he improves and the Cowboys benefit, then he will be given a large contract. If he doesn't, then he may have to hit the road.

Dak deserves a chance and the Cowboys deserve a chance, to see what he can do under better coaching. We been saying this for Romo.

He's done everything asked of him so far. There are problems with the Cowboys but Dak isn't one of them, and/or if he is, he's at the bottom in terms of problems.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dude stop the fucking whining about Dak. It's very ovarian at this point. Like a scorned woman. Dak is going to be franchised, which is a good thing. He has one year under McCarthey to see what can be done. If he improves and the Cowboys benefit, then he will be given a large contract. If he doesn't, then he may have to hit the road.

I assume you're talking to me. Two things: I've been saying the exact same thing regarding Dak's evaluation by McCarthy so I don't know what you're bitching about.

And second, what's "ovarian" mean?

Top Bottom