Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We've seen a Nick Foles, a Trent Dilfer, a Jeff Hostetler and a Doug Williams win super bowls.

I don't care how anti-Prescott someone is, nobody with a straight face can argue any of those guys are better than him.

So it could be done.

I give you a lot of slack because you do this every year during the pre-season. But damn Amigo....you sound like a Zoner.

RogtaDru

Cheerleader
Reaction score
We've seen a Nick Foles, a Trent Dilfer, a Jeff Hostetler and a Doug Williams win super bowls.

I don't care how anti-Prescott someone is, nobody with a straight face can argue any of those guys are better than him.

So it could be done.
I guess the counter argument could be if any of the above mentioned QBs with this exact Dallas team could get this team as far as or farther than Prescott.
And try to be as equally honest.

I believe they could.
But that's just me.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I guess the counter argument could be if any of the above mentioned QBs with this exact Dallas team could get this team as far as or farther than Prescott.
And try to be as equally honest.

I believe they could.
But that's just me.
Every once in awhile a blind squirrel finds a nut, but none of those guys are remotely as good as Prescott is.

Especially over a full season of play.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I give you a lot of slack because you do this every year during the pre-season. But damn Amigo....you sound like a Zoner.
By the way there is nothing Zoner about that comment.

I mentioned 4 lousy QB's that won super bowls, so mediocre QB play can win a championship.

None of those 4 guys was any good the years they won Super Bowls, they were all flukes.

I said Prescott was better than them (and he is). Doesn't mean he will ever win a championship, but it isn't impossible.

A Zoner-esque comment would be something like "Dak Prescott is just like Troy Aikman!!!!!!"

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
By the way there is nothing Zoner about that comment.

I mentioned 4 lousy QB's that won super bowls, so mediocre QB play can win a championship.

None of those 4 guys was any good the years they won Super Bowls, they were all flukes.

I said Prescott was better than them (and he is). Doesn't mean he will ever win a championship, but it isn't impossible.

A Zoner-esque comment would be something like "Dak Prescott is just like Troy Aikman!!!!!!"

Sorry buddy....but that comment is Zoneresque. I had to check my eyes to see who posted it. Initially, I thought Rockport signed into the forum.

You point to 4 QB's in the SB era and pin your hopes and dreams to that statistical anomaly? How about looking at the norm where true franchise QB's actually do win, some multiple times, and demand that type of player, rather than supporting the anomaly. I want better. You just hope for a miracle and look at the bright side. But again, you do this every pre-season so it's OK.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I guess I'll just hafta keep waiting on Dak's blind squirrel moment then.

Yeah.....ask Chief's fans who the best player on the team is. Ask Bengals fans the same question. And the Bills. And the Jags.

Then ask a Cowboys fan and they'll tell you Micah. Your team is built wrong and you're hoping for the blind squirrel moment.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry buddy....but that comment is Zoneresque. I had to check my eyes to see who posted it. Initially, I thought Rockport signed into the forum.

You point to 4 QB's in the SB era and pin your hopes and dreams to that statistical anomaly? How about looking at the norm where true franchise QB's actually do win, some multiple times, and demand that type of player, rather than supporting the anomaly. I want better. You just hope for a miracle and look at the bright side. But again, you do this every pre-season so it's OK.
Come on amigo. All I said was "there's a chance"

I never said Prescott was a franchise QB. I said he was better than the 4 mediocre guys I singled out. The fact I lumped him in with those and not Joe Montana, Tom Brady, John Elway or Troy Aikman should help you see the light.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah.....ask Chief's fans who the best player on the team is. Ask Bengals fans the same question. And the Bills. And the Jags.

Then ask a Cowboys fan and they'll tell you Micah. Your team is built wrong and you're hoping for the blind squirrel moment.
Parsons is an elite player, he isn't just the best player on this team he's one of the best players in the league. We were lucky to get him where we did and hindsight being 20/20, every team except the Jags would have likely rather have taken him instead of the guys they ended up taking. (which means he'd have been the 2nd overall pick)

That said, look at where those teams' QB's were drafted. You stand a much better chance finding a true franchise caliber QB drafting where they did (especially in the cases of Joe Burrow and Trevor Lawrence) as opposed to where we've drafted for most of the last 15 years or so.

I've already done the work so I know the answer to this, but go back and look at just the 1st rd picks we've made to around 2005. Then look at the best available QB's when we made those picks. The results may surprise you. Our highest pick was 2016 when we took Zeke 4th overall. The next QB picked was Paxton Lynch at 26 (who we tried to trade up for but fortunately did not). The other option would have been to make some sort of blockbuster deal to move into one of the top-2 spots (like the Rams or Eagles did) and draft proven mediocre guys Jared Goff or Carson Wentz.

The one that clearly got away? You could blame Mr Parcells for that in 2005. Imagine a draft where we could have had DeMarcus Ware and Aaron Rodgers.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Parsons is an elite player, he isn't just the best player on this team he's one of the best players in the league. We were lucky to get him where we did and hindsight being 20/20, every team except the Jags would have likely rather have taken him instead of the guys they ended up taking. (which means he'd have been the 2nd overall pick)

That said, look at where those teams' QB's were drafted. You stand a much better chance finding a true franchise caliber QB drafting where they did (especially in the cases of Joe Burrow and Trevor Lawrence) as opposed to where we've drafted for most of the last 15 years or so.

I've already done the work so I know the answer to this, but go back and look at just the 1st rd picks we've made to around 2005. Then look at the best available QB's when we made those picks. The results may surprise you. Our highest pick was 2016 when we took Zeke 4th overall. The next QB picked was Paxton Lynch at 26 (who we tried to trade up for but fortunately did not). The other option would have been to make some sort of blockbuster deal to move into one of the top-2 spots (like the Rams or Eagles did) and draft proven mediocre guys Jared Goff or Carson Wentz.

The one that clearly got away? You could blame Mr Parcells for that in 2005. Imagine a draft where we could have had DeMarcus Ware and Aaron Rodgers.

I don't buy that argument for one minute. We traded up to #6 for a CB. We just have to have a plan to get one. KC wanted Mahomes and had no idea he's be a generational talent. They just knew that Alex Smith wasn't a SB QB even though he went 11 - 4 and was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2016. They still moved up and drafted a QB and they didn't have to spend a #1 overall. It can be done....

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dilfer was the beneficiary of an all-time defense, so drop him from the list.
Why? He still didnt fuck it up.

Should I drop Hostetler and Williams too because they played for alltime great coaches in their primes?

And Nick Foles has proven to be the epitome of mediocre every time he gets a chance to be a regular starter, he managed a Super Bowl win.

Your point though is exactly why I said it COULD be done (not that it was likely) but we do have a really good team around Prescott, and may have one of the best defenses (if not THE best defense) in the league this year.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't buy that argument for one minute. We traded up to #6 for a CB. We just have to have a plan to get one. KC wanted Mahomes and had no idea he's be a generational talent. They just knew that Alex Smith wasn't a SB QB even though he went 11 - 4 and was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2016. They still moved up and drafted a QB and they didn't have to spend a #1 overall. It can be done....
Of course you don't buy it, you don't want to.

But again I did the homework for you and already knew the answer.

And no, I am not saying they shouldnt have tried something like this at some point or another. But the vast majority of time when we've had chances to get QB's, none of the ones available were worth a shit.

And if you recall, they DID try to make a trade up into the 1st rd for a QB, and thank God that one didn't work out. (Paxton Lynch)

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Of course you don't buy it, you don't want to.

But again I did the homework for you and already knew the answer.

And no, I am not saying they shouldnt have tried something like this at some point or another. But the vast majority of time when we've had chances to get QB's, none of the ones available were worth a shit.

And if you recall, they DID try to make a trade up into the 1st rd for a QB, and thank God that one didn't work out. (Paxton Lynch)

You did the homework to show me outliers and exceptions and I'm supposed to buy that and settle? Not me. I want the path that has more often than not lead to success. I want the norm, not the exception. Maybe as QB salaries go up teams will buy QB's for just a year and that will be the new way to the NFL. Fine. But right now, I want to see a true franchise QB on the sidelines that gives me a chance at the SB before my light goes out.

And I don't care if they would have grabbed Paxton Lynch and he flopped. Just like I didn't care about Drew Henson. You have to take those chances if you want SB success. I'm sick of seeing scrubs on the sidelines.

Last edited:

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I notice you omitted Flacco. He too seems to fit the definition of "second tier guy who got hot at the right time."

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I notice you omitted Flacco. He too seems to fit the definition of "second tier guy who got hot at the right time."
Yeah forgot about him. Flacco and Prescott are actually a pretty good career comp in general I think.

The difference right now is Flacco got super hot one postseason, whereas Prescott (with the exception of the Tampa game this past yr) has never played all that well in the postseason, and certainly never for consecutive games.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah forgot about him. Flacco and Prescott are actually a pretty good career comp in general I think.

The difference right now is Flacco got super hot one postseason, whereas Prescott (with the exception of the Tampa game this past yr) has never played all that well in the postseason, and certainly never for consecutive games.
I will be proven right. Eventually.

cardale-jones-ohio-state-buckeyes-starter-first-seriesjpg.jpg

Top Bottom