Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Random thoughts on the Super Bowl overall:
Refs, other than missing the Higgins facemask on Ramsey, did a good job of staying out of the way until the last two minutes.
Aside from a quarter from the Bengals, nobody could run for shit.
I wouldn't so far as to call the halftime show one of the best ever, maybe not even of recent memory, but it was a hell of a lot better than the Weekend, that's for certain.
The Bengals need offensive linemen if they want to even sniff a repeat next year. They didn't have an answer for Aaron Donald; hell, they're still trying to understand the question.
If any Ram was going to win MVP, it had to be Cooper Kupp.
Overall, it wasn't the greatest game in Super Bowl history. But it was nice to have a solid, well played game where I didn't have any emotional investment and just got to enjoy regardless of the outcome.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
"Wars may be fought by weapons, but are won by men." -- General George S. Patton.

"Defense wins championships."

Both remain true.

touchdown

Defense Wins Championships
Reaction score
Tee Higgins definitely got away with one. Grabbed Ramsey's facemask.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
As noted previously, I didn't watch the game but read a little about it and watched a few clips. One of my friends had money on the game (the over) and from what I gathered:

1) It was an incredibly ho-hum game between two completely underwhelming teams
2) Stafford offset some turnovers with a GW TD drive
3) Bungles OL is worse than ours (they also gave up 9 sacks in the game vs TN, which tied a postseason record)
4) It was a putrid, disgraceful halftime performance that possibly ranked as the worst ever
5) As expected, the game appeared to be fixed with the officials basically handing the game to the Rams late and ignoring several other obvious penalties on them earlier

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Tee Higgins definitely got away with one. Grabbed Ramsey's facemask.

And apparently Ramsey got away with an obvious one that cost the Bungles points.

And then there was that disgraceful call at the end of the game handing the Rams another first down after a 3rd down incompletion near the GL

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
"Wars may be fought by weapons, but are won by men." -- General George S. Patton.

Both remain true
According to the box score, the team that got the most turnovers and did the better job stopping the run (stuffing the run appears to be a better description, as the Rams averaged 2 yds per carry) LOST the game.

Also, you made a comment about the Bungles just ceasing to run the ball, yet according to the box score they failed miserably on a 3rd and 1 rush attempt on the last drive of the game and then lost the game on the next play. I guess what I don't know is why their best RB didnt attempt said rush play. Did he get hurt or something?

Anyway, what I said in my other post appears to be the case. It was a fairly ho-hum game by two opponents that really weren't very good. It's what the league has come to.

touchdown

Defense Wins Championships
Reaction score
If it wasn't for Great Defense, neither of these QBs could have led their team to a Victory.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If it wasn't for Great Defense, neither of these QBs could have led their team to a Victory.
Great defense or just lousy OL play?

Those teams combined for 8 games in the postseason, and either could have lost any of the 4 they played.

Welcome to the world of mediocrity. Neither one of those teams was all that good.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Rams and Bengals defenses ranked 17th and 18th in yds per game allowed, 15th and 17th in pts per game allowed.

Only 1 of the top-10 teams in total defense made the conference championship, only 2 of the top-10 scoring defenses made the conference championship.

Rams and Bengals offenses finished considerably higher in yds per game and pts per game than their own defenses.

4 of the top-10 in total defense didnt even make the playoffs. Only 2 teams in the top-10 in total offense failed to make the playoffs, and one of those was the Chargers which a stupid coaching decision away from the playoffs in the final moments of their season finale.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
in yds per game allowed, 15th and 17th in pts per game allowed.

Only 1 of the top-10 teams in total defense made the conference championship, only 2 of the top-10 scoring defenses made the conference championship.
You're the only person I know who takes the statement this literally. It's micro, not macro. Its never been "the top statistical defense wins championships."

The winning team last night is the one whose defense held the opponent to 50 total 2nd half yards after the quick touchdown, while collecting a SB-tying record, 7 sacks. The Rams defense won them this game.

Defense wins championships. Period. And it happened again.

Top Bottom