Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
We need to agree to a moratorium on spoilers.
Nothing to spoil, it's JJ Abrams. So there's no doubt it will basically be a remake of the plot from Episode IV, but with new young actors playing composite characters based on the old ones, lots of lens flares and CGI, and a mindless, predictable path. We'll find out at the end Luke went to the dark side, and the new female "Luke" is either his daughter, or the product of a Leia/Solo union. One of the main old people gets killed, sacrificing him/herself to save others much like Spock from the Wrath of Khan, (Probably Han Solo). That's about as much imagination and creativity you'll ever see from Abrams, who turned Star Trek into exactly this same shit.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
<---------Never watched Star Wars, Harry Potter, or Lord of the Rings.

<---------Not gay for sure.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
When they made a black guy a non-periphery character in Star Wars is what ruined it for me.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
When they made a black guy a non-periphery character in Star Wars is what ruined it for me.
They made Khan a anglo-Englishman, for fear of being politically incorrect and having what some might think is a Muslim, (which Khan never was. He was a Sikh.) being the bad guy.

Never mind that if you have even one percent knowledge of the franchise and even half a brain, there were many better villains to choose from to recycle for the second movie. Like Garth of Izar, for starters. But, again this is why JJ had to recycle a villain to start with - he can't come up with anything fucking original and never has.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
CWc1M-NXIAEZ28v.png

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Well fuck you guys.

I'm with you Pep. Star Wars is the shit. Fuck these guys.

I'm seeing it in two Sundays, just before the Cardinals/Packers game. The stadium is next to a mall in Glendale.

Star Wars and a live NFL game. Nerd heaven for me.

Reaction score
Whoa, wait. Nobody gave up any spoilers. Just one prediction.
I'm more talking to Sheik. Owned an online forum to talk with strangers about the Cowboys, but too cool to like Star Wars.

I'm sure some of your "predictions" will be close to what happens... but this movie is getting great reviews so far. I'm pumped to see it tomorrow night.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'm more talking to Sheik. Owned an online forum to talk with strangers about the Cowboys, but too cool to like Star Wars.

I'm sure some of your "predictions" will be close to what happens... but this movie is getting great reviews so far. I'm pumped to see it tomorrow night.
It's the first SW product in nearly 20 years, good reviews aren't a surprise. But there's no doubt the suck will be strong with it. I'll go though and be entertained, but will have to check my brain at the door just like the reviewers have.

Reaction score
I've never watched any in the franchise either. Well, thats a lie, I watched one at the theatre when I was like five... all I remember though was some huge hole in the sand with teeth and people falling in or some shit.

I don't get the appeal. But then again I've never been into science fiction or space movies. Never really saw any star trek either.

Reaction score
If the original trilogy was a 10, this was about a 6.

JJ did borrow a lot from the previous movies, which in a way was good but he pulled from them a LOT.

The most annoying aspect of the movie? The constant one-liners trying to draw a laugh throughout the movie. Thought David co-wrote for a few minutes there.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I hope Chewie roars and shakes his arms over his head in this one!

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Wow, really... The few things I've heard about it were that it was great. More than one reviewer I heard said it was the best one since Empire.

Not that I'm really into Star Wars. I remember them as a kid, of course, but I was never way into it. And the prequels were so bad (except for the last one, I guess), I barely even remember them.

Reaction score
The most annoying aspect of the movie? The constant one-liners trying to draw a laugh throughout the movie. Thought David co-wrote for a few minutes there.
I was kind of wondering about the humor aspect of it.

Disney has to do what Disney do. And the original Star Wars had some campy feeling humor. The prequels tried Jar Jar Binks as the humor element, and it was awful. I'm sure they had to pay homage with some one-liners, but I was hoping for some more adult-level humor.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score

JJ did borrow a lot from the previous movies, which in a way was good but he pulled from them a LOT.

Yep I forgot to mention the clumsy, inappropriately timed, forced humor one-liners. Another JJ idiocy hallmark. And just soooo predictable.

Were there lots of lens flares though? The idiot JJ fanbois love those.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
But truly, it's not really that fair to be too hard on them. Star Wars is after all, fantasy not science fiction. It's not and has never been a serious cerebral project and wasn't even originally conceived as such. It's the movie JJ always wanted to do since he saw it as a kid, and pretty much everything he did be it Battlestar, Trek or whatever, he tried to turn into SW. So the little kid finally got his wish, his dream, and we shouldn't be too surprised it's infantile.

He timed a release of a interview he did about the last Trek movie, and how he was so disappointed with it. Disappointed "with some of the choices we made." Yeah, how about choosing to bring back a villain who's story was already told, already fleshed out, already even had a fucking sequel, instead of either coming up with a entirely NEW character (really hard work there) or finding a better villain like Garth or even Gary Mitchell. But the whole point of the "alternate reality" was said to be to get AWAY from established canon. Then you go right back to it?
The JJ Abrams hate is strong with Doomsday.

Abrams sucks. But hell, he puts butts in seats and keeps his projects on time and under budget. So what the hey, who cares if all he can do is shit on the material. At least we get lens flares!

Top Bottom