Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
One week after the Soup Bow, the new spring football league Alliance of American Football commences its inaugural season. It has eight teams in two conferences, East and West. The teams are only allowed to sign players from their own region, each supplied with a list of other professional teams and colleges they can sign players from. They have some good football people behind this, here's their executive staff:

Executives
  • Charlie Ebersol, co-founder and CEO
  • Bill Polian, co-founder and Head of Football
  • Troy Polamalu, Head of Player Relations
  • J.K. McKay, Head of Football Operations
  • Tom Veit, Head of Business Operations
  • Hines Ward, Player Relations Executive
  • Jared Allen, Player Relations Executive and investor
  • Justin Tuck, Member of Player Engagements Board Of Advisors
Board of Directors
  • Dick Ebersol
  • Keith Rabois
Of interest to us? The San Antonio Commanders quarterbacked by Dustin Vaughan and just who's the General manager? Dallas' own Moose, Daryl Johnston!

Like Tom Landry, I am all for more football and other football leagues. He said when asked about the USFL, "I like it just fine. Players get to play and coaches get to coach."

So I'm looking forward to it, the new league has a TV deal with SeeBS. I'll probably give the team its own forum here, so we can have game-day chat threads and others.

That is all.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Table, from Wiki:

Roster
San Antonio Commanders roster
Quarterbacks
Running backs
Wide receivers
Tight ends
Offensive linemen
Defensive linemen
Linebackers
  • 58 Arthur Brown
  • 98 Jayrone Elliott
  • 56 Danny Ezechukwu
  • 50 Kennan Gilchrist
  • 43 Joel Lanning
  • 53 Austin Larkin
  • 51 Rob Myers
  • 59 Aamir Petrose
  • 91 John Sheehy
  • 52 Ed Shockley
  • 55 Nick Temple
  • 54 Shaan Washington
  • 40 Jaboree Williams
Defensive backs
Special teams
Reserve lists
  • Currently vacant
Exempt list
  • Currently vacant
Practice squad
  • Currently vacant

Roster updated January 17, 2019
77 Active, 0 Inactive, 0 PS
Eastern Conference ATL BIR MEM ORL Western Conference ARI SAL SA SD

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Quite a few camp/preseason bodies from the Cowboys on there. DT Richard Ash played in a handful of regular season games for us too.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
If the Moose is loose in the hoose, then count me in, eh!

^^said using a fake Canadian accent for effect
Earlier in the season when Troy talked about maybe wanting to get into some GM role, remember? He and Moose probably have been talking back and forth since Moose took this gig.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
THIS is interesting:

Rules
  • Teams will have 50 players on each roster, with some selected by a territorial draft.[15] The territory assigned to a team consists of at least five colleges plus designated professional teams, one Canadian Football League, and four NFL teams, for those from Big Ten and the Big 12 conferences. Only one quarterback can be taken from their region.[17] A quarterbacks-only "Protect or Pick" draft was conducted in November 2018 in which teams may retain their allocated quarterback or select an unprotected quarterback from another team.[18]
  • Telecasts will feature no television timeouts and 60 percent fewer commercials, with the league aiming for an approximate real-time game length of 150 minutes, down from just over 180 in the NFL.[15][19]
  • All teams must attempt two-point conversions after each touchdown; there will be no extra point kicks.[19]
  • There will be no kickoffs; halves, odd overtime periods and after scores will begin on each team's own 25-yard line, the same as touchbacks in the NFL and NCAA. In lieu of an onside kick, a team can keep possession of the ball by attempting a scrimmage play from their own 35-yard line and gaining at least 12 yards.[19][1]
  • The play clock will run only 30 seconds, 10 seconds shorter than in the NFL.[19]
  • Two coach's challenges per team are the only replays; no challenges in last two minutes of either half nor any overtime period, as they are automatic.[19]
  • Outside organizations will handle head-safety protocols.[13]
  • Playoffs will consist of four teams, the top two teams from each conference.[11]

Reaction score
Interesting rules. The no kickoff rule will result in fewer injuries, but teams won't get the chance at kick return TDs which are an exciting play due to the rarity. This is an obvious safety call, and I can't blame them for that. Kickoffs are commonly penalized too, so this method will reduce ref flags.

The onside kick alternative should happen much more often as it is much easier to pass or run for 12 yards than it is to recover a kick that must touch the ground once and travel 10 yards.

The two point must try system is interesting. Nothing wrong with doing things differently than the NFL as long as the core game remains grid iron football. Hell, line up a tee shot, and put a golf ball through from 100 yards for the 1 or 2 points for all I care.

I'm definitely onboard with a faster paced game with less play stoppage.

What are the rules for overtime? NFL style or NCAA style?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The onside kick alternative... I'm doing that EVERY TIME I SCORE if the opponent still gets the ball at their own 25 if it fails. Need to study the official rules but their site isn't loading for me right now.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The onside kick alternative... I'm doing that EVERY TIME I SCORE if the opponent still gets the ball at their own 25 if it fails.
Ebersol had a quote about that I found in USA Today:

"Obviously, if you get rid of the kickoff, you have to get rid of the onside kick. So what we’re doing… if you want to go for the equivalent of the onside kick, we will give you your ball on your own 35 and you’ll be facing 4th-and-10. If you convert, you keep going. If you don’t, you’re giving the ball back to someone knocking on your own red zone."

Interestingly, currently the league rules aren't found on their website. So I had to google to get that quote.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
What are the rules for overtime? NFL style or NCAA style?

This is what I heard. Each team gets the ball once. First and goal from the 10. No FGs. If it ends in a tie, it's a tie.

I'll give this a shot because of less commercials. I'm just not sure 30 minutes less will be enough to keep me watching.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Theres gonna be a shit load of pts right ?

I may be confusing aaf with xfl but i read some rules on defense and theyre nuts

No more than 5 players rushing the passer at any given time

Only 5 players can lineup in the box (determined by so many feet away from an offensive lineman)

If you are lined up outside the box (i believe they call it the “pressure zone” or something), you are not allowed to rush the passer

I also think that you cannot drop back in coverage if you are lined up in the pressure zone

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Yeah only 5 players can rush. And only 5 players are allowed within 2 yards of the offensive line. No one else can blitz outside those two yards so you can't really disguise what you're doing. I also read on a different site that overtime can go as far as two possessions, not just one try each.

The reasoning for the rule is because offensive lines in this league won't have a lot of time to prepare or build any type of cohesiveness. That would lead to QBs getting hurt and a ton of sacks. O'well, that's what I read.

Top Bottom