LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
LOL

I think they can get 2 very solid years from AP at that price or cheaper. I'd let Murray walk solely for that reason.

4 years at $16 million today is low-balling for a back of Murray's caliber. But I agree, just let Murray walk and take our chances with AP. He wants to be here. We have to sign other others, notably Dez.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If they didn't want him back they'd just say that to him I think.

I bet they will let him test the market now to see what sort of $$$ gets thrown at him. I'd be surprised if anyone really went all in for him, not because of any lack of ability. Rather just due to where RB's are valued at and the fact that there are a lot of options in the draft and free agency.

I wouldn't. I could see a number of teams lining up for Murray.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
That's what it sounds like to me too.

RBs are short shelf life, devalued in today's NFL and are pretty much a dime a dozen. He'll land somewhere for more than what Jerruh is offering though.

Dez is the on e you hold onto.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not even that big a fan of the guy, but like I've said all year, I kind of feel bad for the guy. You're told to be a team player and sacrifice for the greater good, and in the end you basically get used up and sent down the road. Hope someone pays him.

You cant blame the franchise for being prudent at a position that has clearly been devalued over the past few seasons.

5 years ago or so had he had the kind of season he just had we'd definitely be signing him to a huge contract or at the very least strongly considering the franchsie tag. Its because of the change in philosphy and beliefs league wide that he almost assuredly wont get a huge contract now. He'll be well paid, but he isnt getting 8-10 mils per year with a ton of guaranteed money anywehre IMO.

Reaction score
Give Randle more carries, see what Williams has, draft a mid round back. Move on. Spend $ on Dez and defense against

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Maybe we can trade Murray to Minnesota for five so-so players with draft picks attached to them, and a first round pick to be named later. They really, really need a running back. (Again)

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Give Randle more carries, see what Williams has, draft a mid round back. Move on. Spend $ on Dez and defense against

agreed that the $ could be better spent elsewhere (esp defense), but I don't see Randle as a feature guy. RB by committee doesn't seem like their style, either.

Reaction score
This Murray situation is difficult. Lots of questions --

Does team morale take a hit when you fail to reward someone who gave as much as Murray did during the previous season?

It is easy to say that you are going to replace Murray, but how sure are you that you can find a replacement who has a similar skill set? If the replacement underperforms expectations, your offense will take a significant hit.

With so many players' contracts up for renewal, can you afford to pay Murray at market value?

Given his very high level of attempts this past season, how many more productive years does the guy have left?

I'm in favor of letting Murray go and replacing him with a younger, cheaper alternative. But that's a real gamble.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
But that's a real gamble.
Keeping him and paying him huge is too. He doesn't beast it until it's his contract year... I really can see him slacking off quite a bit after he gets a fat contract.

It's not like players' agents don't straight up tell them to do that. "You've made it son. Now everything you do is a business decision. Do you really need to risk millions seeking out contact, delivering blows, to get a extra two yards anymore?"

And so on.

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
We all wanted a team run like the Pats, if we pay him the 6M that he will get in FA then they would complain when he breaks down.

It's pretty sad when top flight RBs make the same as Kickers. LOL

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
if he'd prefer a shorter deal for more money, say two years for $12M, that'd be doable

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You cant blame the franchise for being prudent at a position that has clearly been devalued over the past few seasons.
Oh, I don't blame them for not re-signing him. I wouldn't do it, either. I don't even think he's that great. I just feel a little bad for him for spilling his guts out all year when we probably broke him for the future. I still say that we wouldn't have won even one fewer game with Randle getting 3-4 of his carries per game.

Reaction score
Oh, I don't blame them for not re-signing him. I wouldn't do it, either. I don't even think he's that great. I just feel a little bad for him for spilling his guts out all year when we probably broke him for the future. I still say that we wouldn't have won even one fewer game with Randle getting 3-4 of his carries per game.

Yup ... they rode Murray more than they needed.

At the same time, didn't it seem like Murray wanted the carries?

Heck, he seemed frustrated when he was pulled late in the Colts game (even though he had already played much longer than necessary in that game).

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Sure, but that's the coach's job. The players are supposed to want to play every down and make every play. It's the coach's job to properly decide when they do and don't... Just like Romo staying in way too long late in blowouts like the Jax and Skins games.

Don't get me wrong, there are far bigger tragedies out there than using up a young RB. Just think it kind of stinks for him given what we know happens to backs who get way too much work like this.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Wonder if this helps Murray's bargaining?

IRVING, Texas – DeMarco Murray has been named the NFL Offensive Player of the Year by the Pro Football Writers’ Association.
It’s the next in what promises to be a long line of awards for Murray, who finished the 2014 season as the NFL’s leading rusher. In December he was named to the Pro Bowl for the second-consecutive season, and he was also designated first-team All-Pro.
Murray set career marks and Cowboys franchise records this past season, as he carried the ball 392 times for 1,845 yards and 13 touchdowns. Factoring in the Cowboys’ postseason run, Murray ran for 2,043 yards and 15 touchdowns in 18 games.
It wasn’t just his running ability, though. Murray was the Cowboys’ third-leading receiver with 57 receptions for another 416 yards, giving him 2,459 all-purpose yards on the season.

The PFWA names honorees for NFL MVP, Offensive and Defensive Players of the Year, Rookies of the Year and Coach of the Year. Murray is just the second running back to be named NFL Offensive Player of the Year in the last eight years, along with Minnesota’s Adrian Peterson in 2012.
Quarterbacks have dominated the proceedings for much of the last decade. Since Shaun Alexander and LaDainian Tomlinson won the award back-to-back in 2004 and 2005, quarterbacks have won in six of the last eight years.
​Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers was named the PFWA's NFL MVP for 2014, and Houston's J.J. Watt was named NFL Defensive Player of The Year.
Murray should also be in the running for the Associated Press’ NFL Offensive Player of the Year award, and he’s likely to merit consideration for NFL MVP. The majority of the league’s major awards will be announced at the fourth annual NFL Honors show on Jan. 31, the night before the Super Bowl.
Source:dallascowboys.com

Reaction score
IRVING, Texas – DeMarco Murray has been named the NFL Offensive Player of the Year by the Pro Football Writers’ Association. It’s the next in what promises to be a long line of awards for Murray, who finished the 2014 season as the NFL’s leading rusher. In December he was named to the Pro Bowl for the second-consecutive season, and he was also designated first-team All-Pro. Murray set career marks and Cowboys franchise records this past season, as he carried the ball 392 times for 1,845 yards and 13 touchdowns. Factoring in the Cowboys’ postseason run, Murray ran for 2,043 yards and 15 touchdowns in 18 games. It wasn’t just his running ability, though. Murray was the Cowboys’ third-leading receiver with 57 receptions for another 416 yards, giving him 2,459 all-purpose yards on the season.

Murray is just the second running back to be named NFL Offensive Player of the Year in the last eight years, along with Minnesota’s Adrian Peterson in 2012.

Murray should also be in the running for the Associated Press’ NFL Offensive Player of the Year award, and he’s likely to merit consideration for NFL MVP.

Isn't strange how, despite all of the above, most of us think Murray is expendable and won't be too difficult to replace?

Personally, I know that I hold Murray's relative lack of long TD runs against him. I'd rather have an RB who is a greater threat of taking it the distance. And yes, I tend to think that it won't be too tough to replace him. After reading the above quotation, though, it is easy to see how it might be foolish to think that he's so replaceable.

I've heard people suggest that Mark Ingram would be a suitable replacement and I tend to agree. For what it is worth, Ingram's 40 time at the combine was 4.62. Murray's was 4.41.

Top Bottom